Newcastle United 4-4 Luton Town (03/02/24) | Reaction: pg40

Yorkie

Whichever way we try to spin it - a draw at home against Luton (however spirited their performance was) is a bad result. Add to that the beating we took at their place and it’s terrible. We were good at Villa (and Villa were a bit rank tbh) but what happened today? So many errors both unforced and due to their press, the decision making both on and off the pitch left a lot to be desired today.

On 90 minutes 4-4 is fair.  If we'd snatched it 5-4 I'd have loved it but genuinely would have felt bad for Luton fans.  They deserved something today.  But If we'd been set up right and been more composed we'd have won easily.  Such a frustrating day.  

Just now, Novocastrian said:

I certainly didn’t enjoy that. I feel sick.

I enjoyed it for about 25 mins, then it became clearer with every minute that we couldn't cope with their pace and power.

Just now, Thomson Mouse said:

And you’ve got a weird floppy about beating teams like that.

They played really well, we should’ve changed things but expecting to walk over teams like that when we’ve still got a reduced Ashley era squad is arrogant

I didn't expect us to walk over them, learn to fucking read :lol:

If we can't put down a tick next to the playoff winners at home as a game we expect to win, what games can we expect to win? It's not arrogant expecting a win in that fixture whatsoever. Every team in the division will expect to beat these at home.

2 minutes ago, 54 said:

You mean the same Burn was literally MOTM against both Fulham and Villa? And people where rightly praising in them games, and in two games that our defensive shape looked so much better in and we looked defensively solid?

Burn didn't deserve MOM against either though.

4 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Arrogant about what, not being happy about getting 1 scraped point in 2 games against Luton Town? :lol:

Luton sweeping Newcastle would have been stomach-turning. This isn't much better tbh.

9 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

This is nowhere near as bad as Derby, give it rest. Luton are 16th with 20pts and just smashed the team two places above us last game.

Its up there. 

Disappointing result but certainly not boring! Very exciting game.

We have no speed in our back four or central midfield right now so we're struggling to shut things down. Really feel a proper DM sitting in in games like this and allowing Bruno more freedom to be creative Bruno would be quite useful.

Overall thought we were most likely to score for much of the game but a draw's probably a fair result as they went for it and had some good chances too.

Thought Barkley looked tidy for them. Dan Burn is not as fast as very fast premiership wingers. That is clear to see. He is very tall though at least.

Was it just me who thought their penalty was a bit soft? Didn't really look to be any force in the contact.

Man I feel like I have a completely different set of emotions after that. I really enjoyed that, it was end to end and competitive. That's what football's all about for me like :lol: 

I'm not happy with the result by any means but I'm happy that we did enough to avoid an absolute disaster. We were faced with a similar situation on Boxing Day but could've played until New Years Day and not clawed that one back. So there's a bit of growth there.

We're a lower top half team at the moment. You're only fuming with that if you've got aspirations of Champions League football, which is not and has not been on the cards this year. But even then, last season we drew at home to Bournemouth, Palace, Leeds, West Ham.

Draws happen, it's annoying after the surge in midweek, but we can work with one point.

Absolutely wild game. Luton have improved as the season has went on. They work hard (bit niggly) but they can score goals. Definitely negatives for us, defending was poor. But at least we showed some fight and got those 2 goals and got a point.

Wanted the win but it was one of those games that you can’t really analyse due to how crazy it was. Thoroughly entertaining game which is the most important thing. 

1 minute ago, BShearer said:

this Luton did not score 4 so far away from home imo in the PL and also wont score 4 until end of season.

Bingo....

8 minutes ago, Jordan said:

Can’t afford to be dropping points against teams like Luton at home if we want to play in Europe again next year. 

Shocking again defensively, not helped by Burn having a stinker and Schar constantly trying to play up top. 

Heard that a few times last season, but agree with gist.

Burn made the exact same foul in the first half but the player stayed on his feet.

Opposition managers target him as the vulnerable link in our defence yet we persevere with him every week over Livramento and Hall.

Honestly, I watch football to be entertained and I was entertained.  The sort of match that Howe’s reputation suggested we’d see from his time at Bournemouth - it’s hard to be parsimonious in defence when the entire back four has absolutely no pace

1 minute ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Wasn’t a shirt pull but was pulling him back from the shoulder. 

But he was booked for an offence outside the box so the game was dead at that point surely. He doesn’t wave play on.