Newcastle United 4-4 Luton Town (03/02/24) | Reaction: pg40

Yorkie

Depressing if anyone booed Burn. People just don't know how to go on. Play bad, don't win, former player coming back aren't automatic boo situations. 

Those sorts of people deserve defeats and always takes the edge off a setback for me.

Good to know they were themselves jeered by good support. I remember that happening once with Gary Speed, the bloke next to me had been very critical of him but turned and rounded on the booers. 

Folk like that that are infinitely more embarrassing to me than results.

6 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Depressing if anyone booed Burn. People just don't know how to go on. Play bad, don't win, former player coming back aren't automatic boo situations. 

Those sorts of people deserve defeats and always takes the edge off a setback for me.

Good to know they were themselves jeered by good support. I remember that happening once with Gary Speed, the bloke next to me had been very critical of him but turned and rounded on the booers. 

Folk like that that are infinitely more embarrassing to me than results.

nobody booed Burn. They were shouting Boooo-urns. 

10 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Bummer to drop two points but those kind of matches are why you watch football. Entertaining as hell. 

That's how it'll be seen in time. Its fogotten about that games that are retrospectively considered whackey anecdotes, even the ones that didn't work out, were as frustrating and much worse performances with much worse players than today. Leicester 5-4 and 4-3, Arsenal 4-4, QPR 5-5, Tranmere 6-6.

With a club that's going in the right direction in a league campaign that's got little to play for it should be more apparent sooner.

It’s a weird situation to come back in a game you think you had to win,  still feel relieved and also insanely pissed off. I assume the Germans have a word for this. If not they should. Personally I think I convince myself enough it’s entertainment cause despite the fallacies it’s a gusty comeback and ultimately we love it. The roar for the 4th. Woof. 

Fair play Luton. We looked good going forward but we all over the place at the back at times. Burn getting caught for pace and the midfield all too often not covering the defence. Injuries have ravaged the season but they also highlight the ultimate level of some of our players in the squad (Murphy, Miggy, Burn, Longstaff) who are forced to play for extended periods. Miley has been forced to play too many minutes really and without the likes of Willock, Tonali and Joelinton we lack that much needed quality in midfield. 

Squad needs improving badly in the summer but everyone knows that. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

Ever since the Howe revolution started, I've been wondering why we don't concede more goals. The back four lacks pace, neither of our first choice full backs are great defensively, and no-one in the midfield is a strong tackler. I've put it down to good organisation, the finer points of which are not within my grasp.

Our current midfield of Miley-Longstaff-Bruno looks vulnerable, and with all the changes we've had to make with injuries, our general organisation looks more shaky. Last season, we were fortunate in having a lot of stability, but luck has turned against us this time round. We look very exposed on the break.

Luton are a strong, athletic side who have now got their act together and produced some good results. Yesterday's result can't be a complete surprise.

I think this season is a write-off as far as the league is concerned. We can still hope for a good cup run.

Personally find any form of negativity from our supporters in the stands directed at our players quite reprehensible, however this type of human behavior is very likely occurring at many games across the world and you probably don't need empirical research to accept this.

It's human behavior and I don't expect each person of the 50 000 in the stadium to behave differently every time simply because they support NUFC.

It's sad, its annoying and I wish we were better but it's true

Well that was a mental game of football yesterday. :lol: Went from being one of the worst games I've ever been to to potentially being one of the best and ended up being neither. 

Thought if we'd get it to 4-4 we'd go on and win the game. But like Luton did at 2-4 we seemed to sit off at 4-4 instead. They pressed us brilliantly throughout the game and we didn't seem to press much at all. Odd one.

Think the crowd shouting for Livramento at 2-4 is a line in the sand now. Their number 7 was rinsing Burn from minute 1. Howe's got to realise that he can't start Burn going forward.

Negative part of me; 10 goals conceded in the last 3 home games. 7 of those to Forest and Luton. What the fuck? 

Positive part of me; would've taken taken 4 points from Villa away and Luton at home. We've just taken them in the most illogical way possible. Would also have taken 7 points from Luton, Forest and Bournemouth. 1 in, 6 to go.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

11 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Well that was a mental game of football yesterday. :lol: Went from being one of the worst games I've ever been to to potentially being one of the best and ended up being neither. 

This sums it up for me 

I was one of the ones belting out Tino and I’d personally have liked him to have come on a lot earlier but it’s no slight on Burn. Just very clear that Tino is the better defensive option and attacking option in most games but almost always against rapid wingers 

This was never going to be an easy game and i expect forest will be the same if we don't start with a genuine forward,top 4 was over weeks ago but hopefully we can make top 7

At this point I'm thinking we need to cut the loan short of either Kuol or Minteh, we desperately need striking backup, there's no way Wilson will make it through three more full games and not come down with yet another long term injury.

(Even a free agent might do a job, a 35yr old Diego Costa or 30yr old Conner Wickham... yeah, I've got my Football Manager head on :shifty:)

Edited by Armchair Pundit

With regards our support  - it's dynamics have changed so much over perhaps the best decade. Lots of working class lads and lasses (such as myself) have been priced out of PL football - simply just can't afford to go. It seems to have become much more of a middle class experience and of course we get the tourists and daytrippers, which is reflected in the poor atmosphere both home and away. I remember the Sunderland cup game the other week - mild applause when we scored 3 goals (from many there), rather than the 'limbs aal owa', which would have happened in the past.

PL football is no longer the working mans game. :thdn:

1 minute ago, Big Geordie said:

With regards our support  - it's dynamics have changed so much over perhaps the best decade. Lots of working class lads and lasses (such as myself) have been priced out of PL football - simply just can't afford to go. It seems to have become much more of a middle class experience and of course we get the tourists and daytrippers, which is reflected in the poor atmosphere both home and away. I remember the Sunderland cup game the other week - mild applause when we scored 3 goals (from many there), rather than the 'limbs aal owa', which would have happened in the past.

I agree with the sentiment in terms of price, but I think it's less of a 'class' thing and far more how society has changed. People of all classes are far more likely to be introverts these days, thanks largely to social media, the internet and recently (relatively speaking) lockdowns. I see it in recruiting all the time, the youngsters in particular have their faces glued to their phones or just don't have a clue how to socially interact in large groups.

Bruno was class yesterday, a new DM definitely needed in the summer to allow him to play further up more often. 

Burn obviously is the weakest link, but Miley left him hanging a few times not tracking back. 

Not sure if Dubs could’ve done better for there second although the marking was poor.

Joelinton a huge miss. 

12 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

bit inverse elitist there

Bruno and Miley may have been good individually in parts but the midfield 3 were completely irrelevant whenever Luton attacked and it's been that way for absolutely ages.

3 minutes ago, Aiston said:

Bruno and Miley may have been good individually in parts but the midfield 3 were completely irrelevant whenever Luton attacked and it's been that way for absolutely ages.

There are just no athletes in that midfield for defending. And also Longstaff makes loads of mistakes and Miley is a bit tentative due to being a kid. 

That said, I find it a bit pointless to analyse since we’re only playing them as a last resort. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo