Newcastle United - Am I happy only when it rains?

South-Cheshire-Toon

I'd just like to put electronic pen to electronic paper, and say that even if Newcastle were winning a game 4-0, there would still be people 'complaining' and 'moaning' in the live score thread that's set up for every game.

I happened, as I don't normally 'watch along', on Saturday afternoon to follow the thread, and as per a post I put up, I can only say that I wouldn't want to be seated next to you at one of these games.

As it seems that from the get go, and perhaps some player(s) might have deserved the comments, there was a tirade of 'anger' and 'vitriol' to anyone who so much as mis-placed a pass or lost a tackle.

This was highlighted then after Barnes came on there was nothing but abuse and comments roughly equating to 'get of the pitch you're a waste of space' etc, then 'magically' after he scored, it was as thought butter couldn't melt in his mouth and he was a god-like creature.

I wish that we all just give these people some time and comment 'fairly' when watching - as sometimes, and the main reason I don't follow a live feed - is for all of the negative comments - please take a chill pill and live with it.

Or as my Dad used to say 'If you think you can do better - then go get your fucking boots and show us ! - otherwise - shut the fuck up !"

People at the match whinge just as much as people on the internet - if that matters at all. 

The people around me were absolutely ripping into the team on Saturday.

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

If you’re wanting fair and balanced analysis, the match thread is absolutely the last place you should be looking.

People are emotional during a game. Comments are not going to be rational and considered.

6 minutes ago, South-Cheshire-Toon said:

This was highlighted then after Barnes came on there was nothing but abuse and comments roughly equating to 'get of the pitch you're a waste of space' etc, then 'magically' after he scored, it was as thought butter couldn't melt in his mouth and he was a god-like creature.

Whilst I agree with your post in general and I'm as guilty as any for posting emotionally and irrationally in the match threads, this literally didn't happen. I've just read the match thread through, when Barnes was subbed on all the chatter was about how poor Burn was and how that decision to hook him was too late. One poster said "give it 10 mins before Harvey is off again" which I think was a tongue-in-cheek comment at our injury situation rather than the player, nobody else even mentioned him til he scored and everyone was praising the goal :lol:

It's not my fault Dan Burn and Miguel Almiron are the worst thing to happen to Newcastle since Ant and Dec. Particular after the latter refused to uproot his family and move to a country with an entirely culture, religion and standard of football.

Bruno is next, the clause inserting nonce.

I think it's ok to criticise, I don't think you should blindly go along with a unrealistic positive attitude when clearly it's shit and a piss take. (like licking mike Ashley's arse)

But if you are to do that you must also point out the positives so we don't just turn up with expectation. 

For example against Luton there were still massive positives, whilst it's ok to say the midfield is lightweight with both Miley and longstaff then you must point out that longstaff is far more likely to get goals than Bruno, and also mileys contribution for the first goal and the way he actually won the ball back for Barnes goal. 

Yes, we should be beating them, but we aren't perfect by a long way and the fightback was commendable. 

This is maybe controversial, but if your going to boo, really you should fuck off and let other fans get in the ground who will sing their hearts out and appreciate a team that tries and not one that wins 

People's expectations have skyrocketed after last season and with reality setting in that we're not even a guarantee for top 7, let alone top 4, the angst comes out in spades. I feel like there's a bit of a resistance to accept that we're not the team from last season, and a fear that it was a false dawn. 

Some of the overly negative stuff can be incredibly galling to read when you're wound up enough by the football alone, and I've found myself prickling at some of the post-match guff recently; but I accept that the forum itself has always been a punching bag for when things aren't going the way we hope. It's just the nature of the place. 

If you're being deliberately edgy with the vitriol then you can absolutely fuck off, like. :lol:

28 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

People at the match whinge just as much as people on the internet - if that matters at all. 

The people around me were absolutely ripping into the team on Saturday.

Yep

People slagging players off for being shite on an obscure forum is one thing..likelihood is they'll never see it

But the moans and groans inside the stadium must grind them down

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

People's expectations have skyrocketed after last season and with reality setting in that we're not even a guarantee for top 7, let alone top 4, the angst comes out in spades. I feel like there's a bit of a resistance to accept that we're not the team from last season, and a fear that it was a false dawn. 

Some of the overly negative stuff can be incredibly galling to read when you're wound up enough by the football alone, and I've found myself prickling at some of the post-match guff recently; but I accept that the forum itself has always been a punching bag for when things aren't going the way we hope. It's just the nature of the place. 

If you're being deliberately edgy with the vitriol then you can absolutely fuck off, like. :lol:

Even the Dan burn thing gets out of hand.

Botman isn't the quickest and it's shown at times but people let it go far more easily.

I'm not saying we should get on botmans back either, but (without resorting to stats) it seems burn makes as many interceptions. 

Plus he hasn't got the same level of cover that he gets with joelinton in front of him. 

People criticise because they want things to be better. 

You can complain without being unhappy. Comments in a match thread, as has been said, are based on people's passion and emotional investment into what's happening. Nobody is going to think in the heat of the moment "Oh it's OK, he's a human being who's trying his best" when someone misses an open goal or whatever. And to be honest, I don't want our fans to be like that.

We NEED passion. Sure, step back and calm down afterwards, but in the moment? I don't want us to be robots dispassionately accepting people's faults, not here and definitely not at the match.

There's a line of course, nobody should be berated as an individual. I was massively critical of Dan Burn during the Luton match but that's critical of his limitations as a footballer. I would never make that a personal attack and it should never become one. But it's absolutely fair and valid to say "Player X is shit at this particular thing" or even "he should never play there again because we have better options". And in the heat of the moment, a misplaced pass or shot can 100% be called out and castigated without that affecting our overall view of a player. Moments turn matches.

Boy: I want a sweet
Dad: Here, have a sweet

Boy: Thanks, but now I want 2 sweets
Dad: Here, have 2 sweets

Boy: Thanks, but now I want chocolate
Dad: Here, have chocolate

Boy: Thanks, but now I want better chocolate, and I hate Dan Burn

7 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

Even the Dan burn thing gets out of hand.

Botman isn't the quickest and it's shown at times but people let it go far more easily.

I'm not saying we should get on botmans back either, but (without resorting to stats) it seems burn makes as many interceptions. 

Plus he hasn't got the same level of cover that he gets with joelinton in front of him. 

It might be wrong, but we seem to have conceded a lot of chances/goals where they have a man over on the counter-attack. Off the top of my head I can think of Milan's second in the CL and Luton's 4th on Saturday where the furthest man over has to wait last second to make a call on whether to watch the forward in the middle, or on the overlap and then try to get across to block due to being 2 v 1.

Someone will probably look into it and those will probably be the only two instances but it definitely seems more predominant in my head. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Some people wont be happy unless we are smashing everyone 5-0. Wish I could just mute them. 

Debating tactics is why the forum exists

But I dont get the hate. The culture of negativity just feels so wrong now.

We somehow need to breed a culture of support, even if its just on this forum. 

We have a team to be proud of, warts and all. They deserve our full support. 

And if you have a comment on tactics, or prefer a different player, thats all ok. Just dont "Fuck I hate Dan Burn, I wish he would die..." etc etc

The club/team are not above criticism where it's valid. Conceding 4 goals at home to Luton is dreadful however you try to manipulate it. It is equally grating hearing people talk about how fun the match was when we conceded 4 goals to Luton and just about avoided a thrashing at home by a team that will most likely be relegated.

6 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

The club/team are not above criticism where it's valid. Conceding 4 goals at home to Luton is dreadful however you try to manipulate it. It is equally grating hearing people talk about how fun the match was when we conceded 4 goals to Luton and just about avoided a thrashing at home by a team that will most likely be relegated.

How can it be grating reading people trying to find the positives in the situation? It's stuff like that which really does make you wonder if you're just desperate to be miserable. (I'm not saying you are)

There was also no "just about" avoiding a thrashing, either. We were behind for about ten minutes. 

In the ground some people turn up just wanting to vent anger and frustration, they have no desire to be positive. Just constantly on the players backs from the 1st minute.

I've been in various parts of the stadium this season due to the dogshit ticketing and some areas are just toxic and it's caused by season ticket holders with negative attitudes. 

Why they're like that, I can't quite fathom. It's as if they've never mentally managed to get over the depression of the Ashley area.

Edited by bobbydazzla

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

How can it be grating reading people trying to find the positives in the situation? It's stuff like that which really does make you wonder if you're just desperate to be miserable. (I'm not saying you are)

There was also no "just about" avoiding a thrashing, either. We were behind for about ten minutes. 

Why do things that are completely negative need to be made into positives? Sometimes things need to be called out for what they are.

"This was highlighted then after Barnes came on there was nothing but abuse and comments roughly equating to 'get of the pitch you're a waste of space' etc"

Did that happen? I was in the match thread and can't remember seeing that at all.

Just now, The Prophet said:

It was a fun match. 

Sure, I'm not happy we conceded four at home to Luton and I have concerns with the defensive performance, but it was an entertaining spectacle nonetheless.

Personally I found the defensive incompetence rage inducing. I certainly wasn't having fun watching that.

3 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Why do things that are completely negative need to be made into positives? Sometimes things need to be called out for what they are.

I think that's an incredibly extreme take on that game, like. There were some obvious positives even if they didn't outweigh the negatives overall. 

The beauty of supporting this club is the emotional rollercoaster.

Most sensible folk would understand post match reactions and recognise that after a couple of days, people will have calmed down.

From what I can see, people are reasonably level-headed and can see the wood for the trees.

6 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

"This was highlighted then after Barnes came on there was nothing but abuse and comments roughly equating to 'get of the pitch you're a waste of space' etc"

Did that happen? I was in the match thread and can't remember seeing that at all.

Was about to post the same, not read the thread but can’t imagine to be the case. I’m thinking Karen has mixed up Burn and Barnes, probably wasnt paying attention whilst also writing in the comments section of the Daily Mail website