Nottingham Forest 2-3 Newcastle United (10/02/24)

Yorkie

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Watching the goals back, thought Sels should have done a lot better with our winner.

Just watching now and thought the same. That said, he looked relatively blindsided.

In other news, that Tavares had some wild efforts on goal :lol:

2 minutes ago, Displayname said:

Looking at it in slow motion, I actually think it was a pen against Dubravka. He lifts his arm up and it’s not really true that the forest player left his leg hanging, he didnt have any chance to get his leg over Dubravkas arm there. Im not sure how much him being able to reach the ball or not factors in to the decision? 

I still think it could have went either way and I can see why Forest would be raging, we would be. However the attacker had virtually stopped, he wasn’t going at any pace.

I’m still a firm believer that contact doesn’t always equal a foul, but when you see the likes of Liverpool etc always get them because of ‘intent’, you always start to feel like you should have one.

I think they screwed themselves over because in the first half they were in a similar position and their player dived to try and get a penalty. I think that would have been in the back of the referee’s mind.

1 minute ago, Displayname said:

Looking at it in slow motion, I actually think it was a pen against Dubravka. He lifts his arm up and its not really true that the forest player left his leg hanging, he didnt have any chance to get his leg over Dubravkas arm there. Im not sure how much him being able to reach the ball or not factors in to the decision? 

Their forward definitely didnt leave his foot in. It was a natural coming together. He was tripped. Gordon got a pen earlier in the season, when he made sure contact with the keeper was made and the ball was going out. Clever play, if not a bit cheaty (made that word up).

7 minutes ago, Displayname said:

Looking at it in slow motion, I actually think it was a pen against Dubravka. He lifts his arm up and its not really true that the forest player left his leg hanging, he didnt have any chance to get his leg over Dubravkas arm there. Im not sure how much him being able to reach the ball or not factors in to the decision? 

Then it's still not a pen as it wasn't a clear and obvious error.

22 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Watching the goals back, thought Sels should have done a lot better with our winner.

Didn't he get described as crisp packet hands when he was here? That goal didn't do him in any favours if he was looking to show he's gone on to be a better keeper.

On the game itself, we didn't play particularly well, but we didn't play badly either. These are the sort of games you just take the three points as payback for all the times we've been done by bad decisions or injury time losses. Great result, that's all that matters.

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Sad I missed this game but fuck, it was nice checking the score at FT to see such an important win and the elation of Bruno having bagged a couple.

I gather from some comments that there was the odd modification to shape/player positions during the match? Would anyone be kind enough to sum it up?

Miley playing as the deepest midfielder was the main change. Trippier was playing deeper than usual and more central at times when we were in possession, side effect was that it made Almiron a total passenger and he wasn't involved at all.

28 minutes ago, joeyt said:

I thought Awoinyi was a right handful, was delighted Nuno took him off for Origi

Agree, he's a really good physically strong old school CF. 

It was a stone wall pen like, the rules are applied really randomly.

Edit: Probably more stramge than random, like neesy says the 'clear and obvious' rule is why it wouldn't have been given.

I'd be raging if it was the other way around though.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

Hungover as fuck again. 

Great night. Bumped into quite a few familiar faces as well which was great. Dunno how I feel about the 'Sandro olé olé olé' song. It's really catchy but singing a song about a player that isn't playing rather than songs about the players that are actually on the pitch so much...dunno. Maybe I'm just miserable. :lol:

7th, 4 away wins on the spin, onwards and upwards. 

7 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Hungover as fuck again. 

Great night. Bumped into quite a few familiar faces as well which was great. Dunno how I feel about the 'Sandro olé olé olé' song. It's really catchy but singing a song about a player that isn't playing rather than songs about the players that are actually on the pitch so much...dunno. Maybe I'm just miserable. :lol:

7th, 4 away wins on the spin, onwards and upwards. 

It’s a recently stolen song. So we’ll sing it to death, regardless. Whilst rarely belting out the classics.

It’s this season’s Bruno in the middle. 

7 hours ago, Pata said:

Miley playing as the deepest midfielder was the main change. Trippier was playing deeper than usual and more central at times when we were in possession, side effect was that it made Almiron a total passenger and he wasn't involved at all.

I wonder if that Trent/Stones/box midfield role will become a more regular thing for Trippier? Almiron was definitely ineffective and seemed to be playing narrow by design. But perhaps with Isak up top to stretch the opposition and Murphy or Gordon wide right looking to go in behind and holding the width. It would work a lot better. 

If Bruno is going to play further forward. Which he probably should. Then we certainly need Trippier on the ball more. Not sure Longstaff or Miley will be able to help us build from deep

with their skill set. 

I’m sure Trippier did this sporadically last season? I forget the game. But I remember a statto, analytics loving mate who doesn’t even support us. Messaged me mid-game about it and saying what an impressive move it was. 

48 minutes ago, STM said:

Both Schar and Botman had a go at Dubravka for not coming out of his goal... spotted on the match cam.

Was just about to post the same. It happened in separate incidents as well. They weren't happy with him. 

Great weekend. Officially banned from coming down now after two victories in a row and getting carried away after the first goal breaking cover. Luckily my mate was the only one who noticed so i didn't get chinned :lol:

PXL_20240210_173304669.jpg

PXL_20240210_192643421.jpg

20 minutes ago, ste_ne24 said:

Great weekend. Officially banned from coming down now after two victories in a row and getting carried away after the first goal breaking cover. Luckily my mate was the only one who noticed so i didn't get chinned :lol:

That first photo is tremendous 👍

38 minutes ago, ste_ne24 said:

I'm so glad we stick our away fans up a height. I'd absolutely hate seeing away teams celebrating with their fans like that :lol: