Sporting Director / Director of Football

r0cafella

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Excited get the prospect of getting Freedman tbh, think he would be the perfect fit.

I’m not entirely convinced personally, but of course I hope he turns out great and will have my full support. 

Was hoping for someone with extensive knowledge of European markets as well as experience competing in the champions league. 

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I’m not entirely convinced personally, but of course I hope he turns out great and will have my full support. 

Was hoping for someone with extensive knowledge of European markets as well as experience competing in the champions league. 

Point taken but Nickson is pretty good on European markets though isn’t he (even if he doesn’t have the champions league experience)

Edited by ExiledGeordie

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Point taken but Nickson is pretty good on European markets though isn’t he (even if he doesn’t have the champions league experience)

Nickson is a scout, I’d expect a sporting director to have extensive contacts with both agents and at various clubs. 

Nicksons remit is very narrow where as a sporting directors is much broader. 

Edited by r0cafella

4 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Nickson is a scout, I’d expect a sporting director to have extensive contacts with both agents and at various clubs. 

Nicksons remit is very narrow where as a sporting directors is much broader. 

Fair point. I quite like the idea of Freedman but that’s only going off what he’s done in relation to English signings. 

Just now, ExiledGeordie said:

Fair point. I quite like the idea of Freedman but that’s only going off what he’s done in relation to English signings. 

Oh for sure, no doubting he’d spotted some top talent, I would caveat by saying it’s much easier to blood young talent in a pointless team like palace than it is at a larger club. I do also question why if he’s so good palace are so average (new manager bounce aside). 

Just a couple of things to bear in mind; I’m not against it or saying he’s bad etc. 

Best I can tell, Spors was heading the football side alone, which included several clubs - and had no connection with the seemingly very dodgy financial practices of their ownership people. I don't think it's fair to lump him in with the rest of them, I wouldn't have thought he'd know anything about that.

Both of them seem to fit the bill. I'm fine with either. 

On 07/05/2024 at 11:44, KaKa said:

Decent interview with Johannes Spors. Seems like a good candidate too, and the experience with the multi club setup could be useful.

:notbad:

Thanks for that. He talks a good game and his philosophy is similar to Eddie Howe so him or Freedman are good candidates. I think Freedman has strong contacts in the Brazilian market so not getting too focussed on his lower league successes. Well done to the hierarchy for finding such good people either of whom look and sound very capable.

When you look at Crystal Palace and what they've achieved after being a nothing team for so long, it's impressive. They've slowly been building but not had the right manager in place. I'd be pretty excited about Freedman

The fact Palace fans are quite unhappy to think about him leaving is as good a sign as any. Seems like the kind of underrated/understated accusation that could be a masterstroke.

Would be interesting if he was on the shortlist at first when Ashworth was appointment.

1 hour ago, gbandit said:

When you look at Crystal Palace and what they've achieved after being a nothing team for so long, it's impressive. They've slowly been building but not had the right manager in place. I'd be pretty excited about Freedman

Is he not involved in that process? I remember he was meant to have been involved in getting Vieira.

I understand that would've partially been Ashworth remit here.

Tbh I'm not sure what our role is actually becoming.

It's always hard assessing the performance of a DOF. Palace have done well with British youngsters in recent years. But the clubs location and status is uniquely positioned to take the Cobham graduates and give them first team ops and take a risk on top Championship talent.

Palace's youth setup has fallen behind Fulham and QPR in recent years. Whose responsibility is that?

On 07/05/2024 at 12:44, KaKa said:

Decent interview with Johannes Spors. Seems like a good candidate too, and the experience with the multi club setup could be useful.

Genoa? *spit* 

Freedman and Olise package please. :pow:

I love that the club does a proper interview process. We can all see why they hired Eddie (after Emery, I know), you can imagine how impressive he was. Hopefully our next DoF is equally impressive.

Either will do for me, I’m sure that whoever the club appoint will be the best candidate available and the right fit for us based on where we currently are and where we are going.

Just listening to Eddie talk about how much input he has and requires on recruitment. I wonder if that put Dan’s nose out? 

Looking forward to whoever we get in taking us onwards and upwards. 

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Is he not involved in that process? I remember he was meant to have been involved in getting Vieira.

I understand that would've partially been Ashworth remit here.

Tbh I'm not sure what our role is actually becoming.

It's always hard assessing the performance of a DOF. Palace have done well with British youngsters in recent years. But the clubs location and status is uniquely positioned to take the Cobham graduates and give them first team ops and take a risk on top Championship talent.

Palace's youth setup has fallen behind Fulham and QPR in recent years. Whose responsibility is that?

That was my thoughts too re their managers.

Getting Hodgson back ffs. 

1 minute ago, Danh1 said:

That was my thoughts too re their managers.

Getting Hodgson back ffs. 

Getting Hodgson back last season worked (kept them up), the decision to keep him was made by Parish.

8 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Getting Hodgson back last season worked (kept them up), the decision to keep him was made by Parish.

Fwiw the media always seems to make Parish the lead operator when it comes to their managerial decisions.

What we could really do with is a lurking Palace fan to make themselves known... Any takers? Not you, Alan.