Sporting Director / Director of Football

r0cafella

8 hours ago, Ikon said:

I liked this from some random poster on the Palace forum. 

Yeah, I have just a good feeling about him. Hopefully done soon!

3 hours ago, ATB said:

Yeah, I have just a good feeling about him. Hopefully done soon!

I must be careful not to spam this thread.

You should have a good feeling - he's perhaps our prime asset. But far from convinced he'll agree to leave. He's Palace through and through and one way or the other has spent well over half his adult life at the club and is on record as saying that his one regret was leaving when manager and it wasn't a mistake he intended to make again. That said Howe left Bournemouth for Burnley right about the same time and then left again....

Interesting bit though is this. Newcastle and Palace are not on the same spot on the food chain. Yes you might like to snap up the next Guehi, Eze, Olise and Wharton but chances are you won't be able to offer them game time and that limits your appeal. Don't think it necessarily works that if you get Dougie, you also get the players he would have signed for Palace. There are drawbacks to being an aspiring super club :D

11 minutes ago, Palace fan said:

I must be careful not to spam this thread.

You should have a good feeling - he's perhaps our prime asset. But far from convinced he'll agree to leave. He's Palace through and through and one way or the other has spent well over half his adult life at the club and is on record as saying that his one regret was leaving when manager and it wasn't a mistake he intended to make again. That said Howe left Bournemouth for Burnley right about the same time and then left again....

Interesting bit though is this. Newcastle and Palace are not on the same spot on the food chain. Yes you might like to snap up the next Guehi, Eze, Olise and Wharton but chances are you won't be able to offer them game time and that limits your appeal. Don't think it necessarily works that if you get Dougie, you also get the players he would have signed for Palace. There are drawbacks to being an aspiring super club :D

I’m always weary of a DoF joining a club and signing loads of players from ex clubs, never shows them in a good light. Outside of Olise, I’ll be amazed if we targeted any other Palace players if we got Dougie. 

It’ll be different level of players, and ones who Dougie would’ve had in mind to replace the likes of Guehi etc.

11 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

I’m always weary of a DoF joining a club and signing loads of players from ex clubs, never shows them in a good light. Outside of Olise, I’ll be amazed if we targeted any other Palace players if we got Dougie. 

It’ll be different level of players, and ones who Dougie would’ve had in mind to replace the likes of Guehi etc.

Ah but that's my point.

I'm personally dubious that the next Olise, Eze and Wharton would necessarily choose you over Palace. They came our way as they knew they'd play football. The bigger club is not always the bigger draw and sometimes less so. To get these players you need to demonstrate to them that they would play regularly. There are of course plenty of up and comers that do sign for super clubs of course - some get lost and some simply don't develop as quickly.

Palace - and I'd have Brighton and Bournemouth in the same category - actually occupy a strong market position for attracting talent. 

19 minutes ago, Palace fan said:

Ah but that's my point.

I'm personally dubious that the next Olise, Eze and Wharton would necessarily choose you over Palace. They came our way as they knew they'd play football. The bigger club is not always the bigger draw and sometimes less so. To get these players you need to demonstrate to them that they would play regularly. There are of course plenty of up and comers that do sign for super clubs of course - some get lost and some simply don't develop as quickly.

Palace - and I'd have Brighton and Bournemouth in the same category - actually occupy a strong market position for attracting talent. 

We’re still in a perfectly poised position for similar. Theres game to be played and in the positions from midfield onwards, Bruno aside, Howe will rotate when we have everyone available. 

Expectations are not the same as the big sides, so we can afford to blood them in too in this period before expectations do raise and it’s more challenging to give someone 19-21 years old solid minutes.

26 minutes ago, Palace fan said:

Ah but that's my point.

The same point stands for us in a different context. We can make the argument you'll get more concentrated development/game time than the likes of CFC/AFC etc. Clubs like that obviously have their own draw like wages etc.

Posted (edited)

Not the best comparison like, but if you know cars you know cars. Only difference is what kind of price class you’re looking into depending on your budget. Same goes with players imo. I really don’t know too much about Freedman just like most of you on here. The biggest difference might be connections and what market he has most knowledge about, as what countries and leagues. Scouting also seems slightly different in modern day football with all the data based stuff here and there. Alsi let’s not forget that even IF he has limited knowledge about some leagues, it’s probably going to be the same for other potential suitors and where their expertise lies. Worth mentioning is that even Dof’s can develop and grow into a role and learn so much new. If the mindset is right and the personality is good then nothing is impossible. He seems to also have things that you’re just born with more or less. Like the gift of talking and interacting which isn’t to be underestimated. We will also be able to buy young players from the lower leagues and other academies and loan them out before they come back being more ready for football at the level we’re at. Especially further ahead once we have more room when our revenue has improved even more. Those that don’t make it we can still earn money on or at least get our money back on. He has immense connections in England for sure, so I’m confident that he’s be able to find good destinations for young players as a stepping stone. 

Edited by Ikon

53 minutes ago, Palace fan said:

Ah but that's my point.

He’s a perfect fit as Howe has indicated we are also in the market for players who are not quite the full i am yet due to FFP. 

Well have at least another club under our umbrella shortly which will help in South American market for example.

What gets forgotten is Bruno and Isak went untouched by the top clubs, these are the types just beneath the top level Freedman will be tasked with finding.

43 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

considering they asked for 100m for Glasner I’m not too confident this gets done quickly 

I doubt we would have interviewed him on multiple occasions if we weren’t willing to pay the compo.

43 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

considering they asked for 100m for Glasner I’m not too confident this gets done quickly 

Fuck that, he deserves to be allowed to move to a bigger club, never mind his contract or nowt like that, it's good for English football if he's allowed to move to us for nowt, I demand arbitration!!

5 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Offer them £2m. Go on TV and complain that they’re being unreasonable. Kick up a fuss. That’s how these things are done, right?

Got to remember to also ask for taxpayer funds to build us a shiny new stadium 

1 minute ago, bobbydazzla said:

And tell supporters to bring an umbrella rather than paying for a repair of the roof.

1 minute ago, bobbydazzla said:

And prove to them that if they do,  we'll really look after and maintain the facilities to the best of our ability 

There's a lot of water under the bridge between Dougie/Parish and it only makes sense that Palace would want to be seen as doing all they can to keep him. And I'm sure it's hard for him to leave.

BUT you don't interview twice for a job you don't actually want. And we're not daft enough to play along with someone wasting everyone's time. It would be bad for his reputation and for ours. If he's already interviewed, he's comfortable leaving. So to me, this is all a facade to make it look as if Palace have done all they can to keep him when in reality he will have already decided it's time to go. 

10 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Offer them £2m. Go on TV and complain that they’re being unreasonable. Kick up a fuss. That’s how these things are done, right?

Mehrdad looking a sweaty mess doing the GNR and bemoaning why a “best in class” DoF isn’t allowed to join us for a pittance?

Fair play if Parish is trying to do all he can to keep him. Lots of history between the two, and it looks like they might take a big step forward with this new manager.

If not Freedman, then I'm sure we'll get someone else that is well qualified and that will do a great job.

26 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Fair play if Parish is trying to do all he can to keep him. Lots of history between the two, and it looks like they might take a big step forward with this new manager.

If not Freedman, then I'm sure we'll get someone else that is well qualified and that will do a great job.

It'll most likely be Spors if not Freedman.

On 10/05/2024 at 22:18, Ikon said:

I liked this from some random poster on the Palace forum. 

Even more impressive consider there doesn't seem to have been much vision or any long term project at Palace :lol:

25 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It'll most likely be Spors if not Freedman.

Cool. Think he comes across well too. Happy with whoever, as our recruiting process hasn't let us down yet.

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Cool. Think he comes across well too. Happy with whoever, as our recruiting process hasn't let us down yet.

Ahem.....Ashworth......ahem

17 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

Ahem.....Ashworth......ahem

I hear you. He was a good hire as far as ability and know how.

Just turned out he's a twat :lol: