Sporting Director / Director of Football

r0cafella

8 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Additionally, hiring the Brentford moneyball master would be deciding to suddenly implement a very particular approach to recruitment, for which there's no evidence of us actually desiring to do so up to now. Is there anything to indicate that such a model would work for a team with aspirations of Champions League football, as opposed to promotion and consolidation? If we were to go in that direction I'd hope that it's because we've identified it as the approach which works for us, rather because he's a 'name'.

On that note, I think it's plausible that we didn't know exactly what we wanted when we appointed Ashworth, and so the murmurings about the role not being what he expected potentially ring true to me. With that in mind, Eales & Co may now have more clarity on that, and we might therefore see someone appointed to a different title and with a different role - rather than a straight swap. So it could be someone we've not heard of or expected.

I think this is well stated. 

We are in a different position from a financial standpoint than when we hired Ashworth, but more importantly, we are now fully staffed behind the scenes. Knowing how things went with Ashworth, we may well decide to change the remit of the Sporting Director role. Or replace it with something else. Whatever the situation, I would expect whoever is hired to be indicative of that chosen direction.

14 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

It's really quite fascinating to wonder where we might go from here. 

In terms of the live speculation; relative to other football staff (i.e. players and managers), there's only a very small number of directors who are apparently 'vogue' and therefore coveted - Ashworth was obviously one of them. Phil Giles is another because of Brentford's much-discussed model but, for that reason, it seems like a lazy link - not to mention the matter of him having a Geordie accent. I'd wager that it's equally likely there's nowt in that link than something. 

Additionally, hiring the Brentford moneyball master would be deciding to suddenly implement a very particular approach to recruitment, for which there's no evidence of us actually desiring to do so up to now. Is there anything to indicate that such a model would work for a team with aspirations of Champions League football, as opposed to promotion and consolidation? If we were to go in that direction I'd hope that it's because we've identified it as the approach which works for us, rather because he's a 'name'.

On that note, I think it's plausible that we didn't know exactly what we wanted when we appointed Ashworth - we just made a dash for the most famous name in the most recognised role. As such, the murmurings about the role not being what he expected potentially ring true to me. With that in mind, Eales & Co may now have more clarity on the situation, and we might therefore see someone appointed to a different title and with a different role - rather than a straight swap. So it could be someone we've not heard of or expected.

For me, the most important thing is that they are compatible with the absolutely exceptional manager we have and should cherish and do everything possible to make easy his job. If that means hiring another person from a Bournemouth persuasion, then fuck it, it gets my vote. You could argue that the Sporting Director should have some ideological independence from whichever manager you have but - as per my point above - maybe a Sporting Director isn't exactly what we want. 

Very curious whatever happens. 

Agree with most of this.

I thought it was interesting that it was Eales doing that interview in January rather than Ashworth.

The role itself seems to mean different things at different clubs. I hope now we have defined the role. We may even need several roles.

21 minutes ago, healthyaddiction said:

There was a bit of agro between him and our owners wasn't there? I'm sure there were claims he wasn't impressed with our owners and turned the job down, but then Ghodoussi came out saying he was never offered the job.

Yes that's right. That's a big part of why I stated I'd be concerned if we went back in for him.

The fact he was buzzing around us very publicly the first time, and was pretty publicly rejected by Mehrdad, and then subsequently seemed to get a consolation prize in Saudi makes me fear - just a little bit - that there's a divide at the top of our club over who we should be hiring.

22 minutes ago, healthyaddiction said:

There was a bit of agro between him and our owners wasn't there? I'm sure there were claims he wasn't impressed with our owners and turned the job down, but then Ghodoussi came out saying he was never offered the job.

I got the impression he wanted the job but we had never actually offered him it. In any case he ended up in Saudi so I doubt there's any bad blood, he was obviously earmarked for that role in SA itself. If anything that might be the reason he's not considered a serious contender for Newcastle now either, I would think the Saudis consider their own product more important than Newcastle United.

15 minutes ago, Memphis said:

I think this is well stated. 

We are in a different position from a financial standpoint than when we hired Ashworth, but more importantly, we are now fully staffed behind the scenes. Knowing how things went with Ashworth, we may well decide to change the remit of the Sporting Director role. Or replace it with something else. Whatever the situation, I would expect whoever is hired to be indicative of that chosen direction.

That's another consideration, how many staff members were sourced by Ashworth, and is it possible he'll take them with him to Manchester when he finally completes his transfer to the the north west?

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

That's another consideration, how many staff members were sourced by Ashworth, and is it possible he'll take them with him to Manchester when he finally completes his transfer to the the north west?

Can take any medical staff he hired with him.

57 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Liverpool wouldn't be interested in someone who isn't best in class man.

I used to think that, then they bid for Jamal Lewis before we did and I was excited to be getting one of their targets, not falling for that one again 😀

So Man Utd are looking to get rid of 250 staff and then hire what they consider to be the best with no thought of how they can work together in the toxic environment they will create.

Meanwhile Newcastle systematically look for a replacement for Ashworth with a new,  modern, upgraded criteria with a data based approach to support the football management team after Ashworth failed to synchronise with the coaching set up.

13 minutes ago, SAK said:

Would a joint director of football work, Giles for the data and that Paul Mitchell guy for his talent spotting and deal making ability?

Mitchell is out of work isnt he? 

If we nick this Giles from Brentford, how long does he have to work in the garden before he could actually start working for us?

I bet Brentford would ask for something like £10-15M for him.

7 minutes ago, Toon No9 said:

If we nick this Giles from Brentford, how long does he have to work in the garden before he could actually start working for us?

I guess that would depend on the contract he has with Brentford.

2 hours ago, Ben said:

So Man Utd are looking to get rid of 250 staff and then hire what they consider to be the best with no thought of how they can work together in the toxic environment they will create.

Meanwhile Newcastle systematically look for a replacement for Ashworth with a new,  modern, upgraded criteria with a data based approach to support the football management team after Ashworth failed to synchronise with the coaching set up.

Does that bring Giles back to the table then? 

Clubs up and down the country now redrawing contracts for their director of football to include clauses such as "if Newcastle approach you a £30m fee or 5 years gardening leave will apply"

29 minutes ago, Toon No9 said:

tbf they have every right to 

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

Linked to Roma also.

Why would they want someone who isn't 'best in class'?

Baffling.

Edited by lovejoy