Sporting Director / Director of Football

r0cafella

4 hours ago, bobbydazzla said:

Which bits about Employment Contracts, Restrictive Covenants and Gardening Leave do people on here struggle to understand.

If he's "working" for Man Utd whilst still employed by us, he'll end up in court for breach of contract.

People operating at Ashworth's level in a business have access to all kinds of highly confidential details that need to be protected. NUFC and our lawyers will be watching him like a hawk. 

I've seen lawyers get involved for something as minor as a sales manager emailing a former client when they've joined a new company but are still under Restrictive Covenants. 

You can't sign an employment contract with your fingers crossed behind your back and claim skinchies when you want to break the terms. They're legally binding agreements.

I don't doubt any of that or disagree with it. My take would be more on how anyone can prove or disprove he's already working on the sly for the Mancs, be it via an intermediary or otherwise. Whether something is against a law or not doesn't stop people breaking said law, what's the worse that would happen to him? A fine? I'm sure Man Utd would be able to cover whatever pittance it'd be if it came to it. Is a fine going to be more than suggested compensation? Besides, as I said, I don't see any way of catching them out, unless the intermediary used blabbed.

8 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

I don't doubt any of that or disagree with it. My take would be more on how anyone can prove or disprove he's already working on the sly for the Mancs, be it via an intermediary or otherwise. Whether something is against a law or not doesn't stop people breaking said law, what's the worse that would happen to him? A fine? I'm sure Man Utd would be able to cover whatever pittance it'd be if it came to it. Is a fine going to be more than suggested compensation? Besides, as I said, I don't see any way of catching them out, unless the intermediary used blabbed.

I really doubt it.. everything very traceable. If it became a legal thing Man Utd would be in massive trouble and there’s no way their compliance department would sign off on something so risky.

33 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

I really doubt it.. everything very traceable. If it became a legal thing Man Utd would be in massive trouble and there’s no way their compliance department would sign off on something so risky.

I mean, I'd hope not, I just don't trust any of them.

Could be 2+2=5 but Man Utd have announced their current Ashworth equivalent is leaving, could be that we're getting close to seeing the end of this saga.

43 minutes ago, lovejoy said:

Could be 2+2=5 but Man Utd have announced their current Ashworth equivalent is leaving, could be that we're getting close to seeing the end of this saga.

I'd still doubt we'd let him take over before the summer transfer window closes. If so it would be top Dollar 

8 minutes ago, madras said:

I'd still doubt we'd let him take over before the summer transfer window closes. If so it would be top Dollar 

I wonder if it will impact our own plans to bring in a DOF before the summer? Are we waiting to settle the Ashworth compensation before making our move?

Just now, TRon said:

I wonder if it will impact our own plans to bring in a DOF before the summer? Are we waiting to settle the Ashworth compensation before making our move?

I highly doubt they would be connected, otherwise we could end up operating without one until 2026.

5 minutes ago, TRon said:

Wouldn't have thought so but others would be in the same position with their clubs not wanting them to take up positions until after the window. If we limit ourselves to those out if work currently we are cutting down the possible field of candidates.

3 minutes ago, McDog said:

I highly doubt they would be connected, otherwise we could end up operating without one until 2026.

Realistically we'll probably settle with Man U at some point between the end of summer and the new year. Just don't seem to have heard much on a replacement while the Ashworth saga drags on other than a few names thrown out there.

Just now, TRon said:

Realistically we'll probably settle with Man U at some point between the end of summer and the new year. Just don't seem to have heard much on a replacement while the Ashworth saga drags on other than a few names thrown out there.

Totally agree. Ashworth no longer works for the team, no reason to wait other than maybe Madras point about not taking positions before the window. I would imagine each situation is unique though.

What's with all the meetings? 

We better not let this whole thing slide.

Pay the fee or wait until his gardening leave runs out.

Bit of a non update. Sounds promising but then I remember the 12 stages of transfers.

We are at an advanced stage for appointing Ashworths successor. Just doing due diligence before preparing an offer.                                                                   The Athletic

https://onefootball.com/en/news/newcastle-united-at-advanced-stage-in-dan-ashworth-replacement-hunt-39369573

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

Bit of a non update. Sounds promising but then I remember the 12 stages of transfers.

We are at an advanced stage for appointing Ashworths successor. Just doing due diligence before preparing an offer.                                                                   The Athletic

https://onefootball.com/en/news/newcastle-united-at-advanced-stage-in-dan-ashworth-replacement-hunt-39369573

Chris T asked: Afternoon David, is there any further update on Newcastle’s search for Dan Ashworth’s replacement?

Ornstein: It’s at an advanced stage, Chris, but not yet complete. The process is being led by a recruitment firm and no doubt there will be differing preferences across the ownership group. They will want to reach a consensus pretty soon and then it will be about trying to strike a deal for their chosen candidate and getting them in the building. If that happens before an agreement is reached with Manchester United on Ashworth, it will be interesting to see if their strong stance on him remains or softens.