Newcastle United 2-2 Bournemouth (17/02/24) | Reaction: pg 34

Yorkie

13 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Haha I think I’m a bit too British for quality and composure at times.  I shit my pants when he does it, even though the bloke just oozes class

90% of the time he gets away with it either winning a foul or dribbling past them but fuck me it’s anxiety inducing. :lol:

Just now, Shearergol said:

Yeah completely, can’t put myself on ignore though can I. 

Looks like we were both wrong on which player would get injured this week.

Hate this season

The reality is, with Dubravka in goal, academy lads in midfield, zero strikers to choose from and Jacob Murphy as our only attacking sub - we are every inch a mid-table outfit. And we're getting mid-table results. 

I think the manager could possibly tinker more with the system to conceal our weaknesses a bit more, but ultimately we're delivering pretty much on par.

What's really encouraging is that the mentality continues to be very strong and we're digging ourselves out of difficult situations. Everyone is playing for each other, that is absolutely clear, and we'll avoid tumbling down the table as long as that is the case. 

Still confused by the rules on the penalty, as I'm simple. 

Schar is not offside because he was deemed not interfering with play. But he was fouled outside the box that continued into the box* which deems it a penalty because the fouls interfered with play. I think I get it, it just feels so contradictory in nature. Again not complaining. 

They still never showed the damn lines lol. Ironically if he was onside it would have only been the shirt pulling foul holding him back onside. 

*Didnt this used to be just where the foul starts, not where it ends up? I know we got stung this season with the same thing. Did the rule change this year?

Just now, toontownman said:

Still confused by the rules on the penalty, as I'm simple. 

Schar is not offside because he was deemed not interfering with play. But he was fouled outside the box that continued into the box* which deems it a penalty because the fouls interfered with play. I think I get it, it just feels so contradictory in nature. Again not complaining. 

They still never showed the damn lines lol. Ironically if he was onside it would have only been the shirt pulling foul holding him back onside. 

*Didnt this used to be just where the foul starts, not where it ends up? I know we got stung this season with the same thing. Did the rule change this year?

Changed like 10 years ago  :lol:

Cannot remember the last time it wasn't the rule.

Wow what happened to us? It was fun watching our team playing and now we just are so boring. We lost the spirit we used to have.  What I hope is that we can get some new player. It's tough to watch Almiron, Burn. Our attack needs some fresh blood...Wilson and Isaak injured all the time. Definitely we need 3-4 extra players. Damn I hope we somehow can still be 6th or 7th team this season, but it looks really bad now.

6 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

At fault for 2 goals, what would you give him, a 7?

Not sure one of those was his fault. If you believe they were then 4 is fair.  5 or 6 for me. He wasn't exactly brilliant but if you slip, not much you can do.

8 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It’s daft and entertaining at the moment, but we look like a disorganised rabble a lot of the time.  And we’re not that far off a starting XI - swap Miley and Dubravka out for a GK and one of Joelinton / Willock / Tonali and have a fit centre forward and it’s a potential first XI.  The fatigue excuse went some time ago.  

Aye, but stick Pope, Joelinton and Isak in that side today and we most likely win.

Even if you disregard Burn being targeted and exposed every game, Tino's attacking quality is enough to merit him starting. We look miles more dangerous when he's on the field. Arguably our most athletic and technical option when he gets it in the final third.

Edited by ElDiablo
Tina

We'll never control games when Longstaff and Miley (for now) are both starting.

Botman was way worse than Burn, Burn can't just dive in on Semenyo when he's been left alone like that. Dubravka unlucky on the first and shocking on the second. We need some players back. :lol:

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

The reality is, with Dubravka in goal, academy lads in midfield, zero strikers to choose from and Jacob Murphy as our only attacking sub - we are every inch a mid-table outfit. And we're getting mid-table results. 

I think the manager could possibly tinker more with the system to conceal our weaknesses a bit more, but ultimately we're delivering pretty much on par.

What's really encouraging is that the mentality continues to be very strong and we're digging ourselves out of difficult situations. Everyone is playing for each other, that is absolutely clear, and we'll avoid tumbling down the table as long as that is the case. 

This is the sensible take. We can’t compete at a high level with this current 11. That midfield 3 isn’t good enough for a top …..10-14 side.

Full squad, few new signings, no freak injuries/bans, I genuinely think we push top 4 next year. 

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The loss of Pope has been more important for the downturn than any other player

I’d say not losing burn has contributed just as much personally 

We're half a team really. Average players amongst great ones. A fully fit side could carry one or two but we haven't had that luxury this season. Then you've got the issue of us having to change the way we play with strikers dropping in and out. That has to effect the teams fluidity.

Gifting teams the same goals & opportunities (from the same positions) is incredibly frustrating though. Even the commentators are highlighting it now. Without protection in midfield it's essential we have some recovery pace at the back.

Edited by JUICE690

8 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Far too sensible.

Positives:

It was an entertaining game at least

Came from behind twice

Thought Barnes looked good. Good movement, made some nice passes. More of an inside forward so would probably benefit from an overlapping fullback.

Miley was physically putting himself about a bit. Good to see a bit more fire in him.

Negatives:

No real control. We play like an away team (not just today) and rely on being able to play quick transitions behind the opposition. We don't pass out of defence well and we don't have a striker who can hold the ball up if we play more direct.

Feels like there's one or two who take too many touches & the Dilly-Dally Quotient(tm) is a bit too large.

Defensively look a bit dodgy.

We had a number of opportunities that we fluffed by playing a poor final ball or taking the wrong option. Thought we were close to making a lot more chances but kept letting it get away and didn't test their keeper much.

Edited by Checko