Newcastle United 2-2 Bournemouth (17/02/24) | Reaction: pg 34

Yorkie

3 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I agree but we could've tried to mitigate that by changing system to, say, a back 3 with Trippier and Livramento wing backs. We can't go on needing to score 3+ goals to win a match, which has been the case in every PL since Christmas for us. I'd certainly think about starting with that next week.

if it’s Villa away I’d be happy 

Genuinely want this season and the grind of rotating 14 half fit or knackered players to fuck off now. Summer brings new faces, a jazzy new set of Adidas kits and no Jurgen Klopp wankfest.

5 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Genuinely want this season and the grind of rotating 14 half fit or knackered players to fuck off now. Summer brings new faces, a jazzy new set of Adidas kits and no Jurgen Klopp wankfest.

lot of truth in that. I’m enjoying just enjoying football again but I’m looking forward to a break, the euros and new season. 

Where in the FA cup 5th round why anyone would want this season to end is beyond me, if we get knocked out that’s another matter, but years gone by cup fever would be gripping Tyneside now and that’s with us having far worse teams than we have now.

Strange game. Bournemouth are a bit like what we used to be but with lesser players. They pressed us really well knowing that if they turn over possession we haven't got the legs to get back in. Solanke would be an incredible fit in our system, he just runs and runs all day and obviously got his reward with Dubravka's slip. Obviously all the rhetoric was about what a huge mistake that was but it's not like he misplaced a pass, he just slipped on a greasy surface which happened constantly in the second half for both teams. I actually thought he should have saved the second goal, which seemed to be quite close to him. To me, it's obvious Semenyo is going to shoot across the keeper and a good keeper should anticipate that. 

Positives? Lewis Miley is brilliant, put himself about today too and won some important tackles. Bruno is obviously class but he's trying to do too much with it at times. Our insistence on not just clearing it is commendable but also heart stopping, especially when Bruno plays a little nutmeg on the edge of his own box in stoppage time. Burn is obviously a liability when the ball is played beyond him, which is often. Longstaff was absolutely invisible in the second half, I don't see any reason for him to start over Miley if Willock is ever available again. The front 3 tried hard but it was obvious how much we were lacking a focal point. Barnes is always looking to get a shot off which is no bad thing whereas Almiron has possibly the worst technique of any player in the league. Again I'd like to see it back but Gordon going through one on one with the keeper about 10 yards off his line and somehow not even getting a shot off was a key moment, not least because they scored their second shortly thereafter. 

I don't really know where we go for the rest of the season. We are very likely to concede 4+ next weekend, we are conceding lots of goals to average teams so a good team will, in theory, fill their boots. I'd absolutely be looking at the possibility of 5 at the back as we finished at Villa and Forest because we need to do something different to try and shore us up a bit, we are very easy to play against.

24 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

True but we are still 7th and Isak and Willock will be coming into the picture soon. Could get better from here on in. 

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

True but we are still 7th and Isak and Willock will be coming into the picture soon. Could get better from here on in. 

allegedly.

2 minutes ago, Ashley17 said:

Strange game. Bournemouth are a bit like what we used to be but with lesser players. They pressed us really well knowing that if they turn over possession we haven't got the legs to get back in. Solanke would be an incredible fit in our system, he just runs and runs all day and obviously got his reward with Dubravka's slip. Obviously all the rhetoric was about what a huge mistake that was but it's not like he misplaced a pass, he just slipped on a greasy surface which happened constantly in the second half for both teams. I actually thought he should have saved the second goal, which seemed to be quite close to him. To me, it's obvious Semenyo is going to shoot across the keeper and a good keeper should anticipate that. 

Positives? Lewis Miley is brilliant, put himself about today too and won some important tackles. Bruno is obviously class but he's trying to do too much with it at times. Our insistence on not just clearing it is commendable but also heart stopping, especially when Bruno plays a little nutmeg on the edge of his own box in stoppage time. Burn is obviously a liability when the ball is played beyond him, which is often. Longstaff was absolutely invisible in the second half, I don't see any reason for him to start over Miley if Willock is ever available again. The front 3 tried hard but it was obvious how much we were lacking a focal point. Barnes is always looking to get a shot off which is no bad thing whereas Almiron has possibly the worst technique of any player in the league. Again I'd like to see it back but Gordon going through one on one with the keeper about 10 yards off his line and somehow not even getting a shot off was a key moment, not least because they scored their second shortly thereafter. 

I don't really know where we go for the rest of the season. We are very likely to concede 4+ next weekend, we are conceding lots of goals to average teams so a good team will, in theory, fill their boots. I'd absolutely be looking at the possibility of 5 at the back as we finished at Villa and Forest because we need to do something different to try and shore us up a bit, we are very easy to play against.

I thought it was a weird game, I enjoyed it for a lot of the time. Thought Dubs was having a good game and then let in two soft goals. Miley was playing well but also getting bypassed quite often. A strange one. 

Took heart from the fact that a similar performance with a handful of better players will lead to comfortable wins in these games next season. 

1 hour ago, The Bonk said:

Wettest of beds. “Embarrassing to a man” …..Fucking melt! [emoji38] 

Absolute weapon :lol:

We literally have no striker in the squad, a back-up keeper who slipped on a very wet pitch and a 17 year old in midfield. I doubt any manager could get substantially better out of our current available line up.

58 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I say similar too, but looking back, I've said this since end of December now :lol: 

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

Where in the FA cup 5th round why anyone would want this season to end is beyond me, if we get knocked out that’s another matter, but years gone by cup fever would be gripping Tyneside now and that’s with us having far worse teams than we have now.

I’ve got it myself.  I don’t understand the ‘season is a write off’ crack when we’re a couple of games from Wembley and still comfortably in contention for a Euro spot via the league.  I can’t think of many circumstances where the season would be less of a write-off.  This could yet be the best season of my lifetime. 

First goal was horrible with the slip obviously but the second really highlighted just how easy to score against we are currently. 

1 pass from the CB, straight through our midfield, leaving essentially a 3v3. 
Then Botman steps out leaving a gap behind and Burn also drops deep on his own. 

Once this happens though, Burn simply has to engage in some way. He needs to move towards the attacked and send him wide or push him inside and allow others to support. 

But he does neither as he is scared to get into a race and leaves the door open for a shot on goal. 

Finally Dubravka has to do better, the shot is not in the corner and slips under him. 

Just poor all round but showcases the same deficiencies as most of the goals we are leaking lately.

Exposed defenders with no midfield protection, total lack of mobility from Dan Burn, and usually Dubravka glued to his line and not inspiring any confidence in his back line to step up as he won't sweep. 

Angle1.png

Angle 2.png

8 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’ve got it myself.  I don’t understand the ‘season is a write off’ crack when we’re a couple of games from Wembley and still comfortably in contention for a Euro spot via the league.  I can’t think of many circumstances where the season would be less of a write-off.  This could yet be the best season of my lifetime. 

It's because while we are playing with a severely depleted side it's hard to feel confidence how this season can pan out well. For instance, I never really fancied yesterday's fixture much without a striker.

Yes Willock and Isak might be back soon, but both are quite fragile, and it's a lot of games to hang your hat on them staying fit for the rest of it.

32 minutes ago, TRon said:

It's because while we are playing with a severely depleted side it's hard to feel confidence how this season can pan out well. For instance, I never really fancied yesterday's fixture much without a striker.

Yes Willock and Isak might be back soon, but both are quite fragile, and it's a lot of games to hang your hat on them staying fit for the rest of it.

Exactly this. We’re in 7th with a stack of teams a point or two back and Arsenal to play next. We could conceivably be 10th by the time we play Wolves. It’s been a draining season, very little consistency (other than an injury a game). I’m excited about the cup but the league is crawling to a standstill.

33 minutes ago, TRon said:

You’re right, but there’s nowt worse in football than the feeling of watching pointless matches.  Still plenty to play for, a third of the season left.  

12 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

You’re right, but there’s nowt worse in football than the feeling of watching pointless matches.  Still plenty to play for, a third of the season left.  

As long as we have the mindset of just taking whatever we can get that's fine. Just don't put too much expectation when we are relying on too many 2nd tier players starting games. Looks like Schar might be out for a while as well now, not like he's that important. :lol:

1 minute ago, TRon said:

As long as we have the mindset of just taking whatever we can get that's fine. Just don't put too much expectation when we are relying on too many 2nd tier players starting games. Looks like Schar might be out for a while as well now, not like he's that important. :lol:

Yep, the fact that we seem to average one injury per game isn’t helping like.  It’s more hope than expectation for me - you never know with the cup if it’s taken seriously

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

The stats man backing up what we're all seeing. 

Good point in the comments too about Bruno not being able to go into challenges. 

7 minutes ago, mouldy_uk said:

Imagine expecting Willock and Isak to come back and play more than a game or two before getting injured again 

:dowie: 

I think that's basically been isak's season. I think under different circumstances willock would have been back by now, but the consequences of bringing him back too early would be horrific. Mad to think he was originally injured before last season ended 

Fine insight from Kevster. I agree on Pope as the biggest miss.

Just on Burn, but my memory of him first season at CB when Targett was LB was that Burn was great until a big nosedive in form. It was around the time of that Chelsea game when we were robbed of a penna on Murph and then Havertz scored after Burn dived in and gone done. I can recall Burn overcommitting in a few games in a row around then. Anyway, my point is that I think he might be a confidence or form player, and its gone at the moment. He's not going to do anything going forward, he's not the type, but he would normally be more dependable than this.