Newcastle United 3-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers (02/03/24) | Reaction: pg 17

Yorkie

One downside from today Longstaff how does he keep getting the full 90? In the second half it seemed like Willock and bruno where the only ones in there. 

53 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Disagree with O’Neil, thought we largely controlled the game. They created barely anything and only managed to attack us by getting in behind and crossing from our left. We weren’t amazing but our passing and movement was much improved 

Their first shot on goal and what was more than a half chance. Came on 66 minutes and it was a comfortable enough save from Dubs, from a shot outside of the box. 

I like O’Neill. But his comments come across bitter as fuck. We may have had a bit of fortune with all 3 goals. But we had better chances right up until they finally tested our keeper. Even after that. It was hardly the alamo. Two routine saves and that was it. 

O'Neill is just sticking up for his team. I actually quite like him. 

He's wrong of course. He's been done tactically. Howe told his players not to press their defenders when they were around the half way line, knowing that they struggle to create chances and that we've been vulnerable when opening up.

We could have had at least 2 more in the second half with Willock and Miggys guilt edge chances. When your side concedes 5 big chances in a game, you can't have any complaints.

3-1 might have been a fairer reflection. But who gives a fuck about fair? 

Missed some of the second half but thought during the first especially we looked more like the team we know and love, with Joelinton being the only obvious absence and the midfield looking better with Willock in there. Excellent win, really happy with that.

Dubravka: 8

Trippier: 7

Schär: 8

Botman: 7

Burn: 7.5

Longstaff: 6

Bruno: 8.5

Willock: 7

Murphy: 6

Isak: 7

Gordon: 8

Livramento: 8

Edited by Kid Icarus

We were far better today than I've seen us in ages, really refreshing that we still have that sort of discipline about our performances, it's still there we just need to get it back consistently.

Having Willock back even not at full speed makes such a difference, even though he's more of an attacking player his energy knits defence to midfield to attack and he helps out Burn allowing Gordon to stay further forward and press and create, special mentions for Dubravka and Bruno who I thought were both outstanding today.

Horrendous weather out there today, the wind was blowing the rain right into your face even halfway back in the stands. Felt like we dominated pretty much from the first minute, and the midfield trio looked so much better with Willock back in there.

Shout out for Murphy as well, I didn't want him anywhere near the side after Wednesday, but he put in a lively performance. I guess that's why Howe is the manager and we are just armchair critics.

What I thought was comfortable win, we didn't look in danger at all and I felt no nerves at 1-0 or 2-0 up, we held then at arms length the entire 90, we're well disciplined and looked dangerous going forward. Light years ahead of what we've witnessed in the last few months and hopefully the green shoots of recovery.

Bruno was titanic, Willock made our midfield 3 dimensional again, Livramento slotted in at RB seamlessly when he was called upon, Botman and Isak looked sharp again, Gordon is tireless and Almiron caused problems off the bench again.

With options across the pitch on the bench now and a confident 3 goal victory and a shutout hopefully we'll now see one of Howes good runs of form.

The sort of result we'd be getting if we'd even just had 4-5 out all season imo. Wasn't vintage but we were very good, had quality off the bench just to give us a second window at around 70 minutes which we've missed since about October. Top 6 is possible, top 7 very possible, roll on next season with a few more quality additions and Tonali.

Sure our two first goals were a little bit fortunate. But we still controlled the game and didnt let them get to many chances, while being dangerous on the counter ourselves. Easily deserved win.

14 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

What I thought was comfortable win, we didn't look in danger at all and I felt no nerves at 1-0 or 2-0 up, we held then at arms length the entire 90, we're well disciplined and looked dangerous going forward. Light years ahead of what we've witnessed in the last few months and hopefully the green shoots of recovery.

Bruno was titanic, Willock made our midfield 3 dimensional again, Livramento slotted in at RB seamlessly when he was called upon, Botman and Isak looked sharp again, Gordon is tireless and Almiron caused problems off the bench again.

With options across the pitch on the bench now and a confident 3 goal victory and a shutout hopefully we'll now see one of Howes good runs of form.

Felt that described today perfectly tbh, it did feel like we had them held comfortably at arm's length, and while we weren't at our dominant best, we did find our way behind them a few times with some raking through balls.

1 hour ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

We were far better today than I've seen us in ages, really refreshing that we still have that sort of discipline about our performances, it's still there we just need to get it back consistently.

Having Willock back even not at full speed makes such a difference, even though he's more of an attacking player his energy knits defence to midfield to attack and he helps out Burn allowing Gordon to stay further forward and press and create, special mentions for Dubravka and Bruno who I thought were both outstanding today.

I thought his passing looked on point aswell today put some top drawer passes through to gordon. 

On the subject of dark arts

Wolves were the total opposite. Never seen a nicer team up here all season. Trippier knocked it out cos he was injured. They gave it back to dubravka then trippier decided he needed subbed so dubravka hoyed it out and they give us the ball back again!!

Fuck that

Just now, jack j said:

On the subject of dark arts

Wolves were the total opposite. Never seen a nicer team up here all season. Trippier knocked it out cos he was injured. They gave it back to dubravka then trippier decided he needed subbed so dubravka hoyed it out and they give us the ball back again!!

Fuck that

Aye, I would've never given it back the other way.

Our fans should've appreciated that more.

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

Didn't realise they had a 15 year old on the bench

I heard that during the match, isn't that crazy?