Chelsea 3-2 Newcastle United (11/03/24) | Reaction: pg 45

BlueStar

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

I don't know what you're taking about, but you just never know when perfection chasing PIF might swing the axe...

Of course they may, failure to get European football will impact on sponsorship and revenue. I'm not saying they will, but a continuation of the current form since December and failure to get into Europe could see them firing the bullet. Currently it's not good enough what's being offered up. He has a favourable run of games coming up, let's see what happens.

I was confident things would improve, but that performance against a poor Chelsea team has me doubting that. My favourite saying time will tell, but I certainly wouldn't bet against PIF pulling the plug if we have no European football come May. 

Think Pope saves the first two goals. First one Dubs is ridiculously slow to get down and on second one he's guessing far corner for some reason.

Just now, duo said:

I am more concerned at our decline - you can't blame injuries for our performance today.  There was just no cohesion, we seemed to lack any form of a game plan - they had a patched up back four and we barely tested them. 

I was just coming back to make the point that, although it's not the reason our performance was so poor - we definitely can still bemoan the injury situation.

Trippier missing, Barnes missing again, Gordon crocked after a few minutes. Not to mention the impacts still being felt from having no Joelinton and especially Pope. Meanwhile Willock's still not up to scratch and Botman has clearly taken some psychological damage from his time out. Bloke's miles off the pace.

It's great having the likes of Anderson and Murphy to choose from again, but they're still much worse options than our first choices.

Like I say, it doesn't explain the sheer limpness of that performance - but still our season continues to be defined by injuries.

12 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Just absolutely frustrating as fuck. Probably the most frustrated I've been all season. 

We can take solace from the fact it doesn't change a huge amount in the grand scheme of things; the skirmish for 7th will probably play out until the very end. 

Just maddening that we've pissed away a really good opportunity due to a thoroughly limp fucking performance.

Aye first time I’ve been angry after a game this season. Just utterly shite from start to finish. Mad it was 3-2. Play like that against City and it could be anything.

1 minute ago, FCB said:

Don't forget a wasted transfer window, please do tell me which part of this season has appealed to you so much that you'd like to keep him as manager?

Put it this way, if you're asking that question I think you're already beyond any reason.

1 minute ago, Pata said:

Think Pope saves the first two goals. First one Dubs is ridiculously slow to get down and on second one he's guessing far corner for some reason.

Second one is awful imo. Routine save for a PL keeper 

1 minute ago, Pata said:

installments.

Holy fuck, Dubs' positioning on the replay for the goal. He's in a different fucking postcode :lol:

Edited by Sean

21 minutes ago, Menace said:

48 goals conceded is crazy - 2 less than Forest who are fighting relegation. No idea what's happened to even basic defending this season.

37 since Dubs came back is damning.

14 games each. Dubravka -34  Pope - 14

Edited by Jonas

2 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Of course they may, failure to get European football will impact on sponsorship and revenue. I'm not saying they will, but a continuation of the current form since December and failure to get into Europe could see them firing the bullet. Currently it's not good enough what's being offered up. He has a favourable run of games coming up, let's see what happens.

I was confident things would improve, but that performance against a poor Chelsea team has me doubting that. My favourite saying time will tell, but I certainly wouldn't bet against PIF pulling the plug if we have no European football come May. 

Its a slight worry that we've been saying there is a favourable run for the last couple of months and haven't taken advantage of it. 

It does however have the feel of a cup final (and loss) season

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I was just coming back to make the point that, although it's not the reason our performance was so poor - we definitely can still bemoan the injury situation.

Trippier missing, Barnes missing again, Gordon crocked after a few minutes. Not to mention the impacts still being felt from having no Joelinton and especially Pope. Meanwhile Willock's still not up to scratch and Botman has clearly taken some psychological damage from his time out. Bloke's miles off the pace.

It's great having the likes of Anderson and Murphy to choose from again, but they're still much worse options than our first choices.

Like I say, it doesn't explain the sheer limpness of that performance - but still our season continues to be defined by injuries.

It's completely rocked our cohesion too. Players feel all out of rhythm with eachother. You've got a blend of players who have played way too much and players who have barely started their season. Injuries are absolutely still a factor.

13 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

Out of interest, how many of them were at home?

I messed up, that stat is "games moved to MNF" by broadcasters. I'll try to sort out on my own our actual record, but it's piss poor. We did manage to beat Leicester 3-0 last year at their place and drew at home to them 0-0.

Edited by The Bonk

8 minutes ago, Conjo said:

One deflection/slight touch and two tunnels for their goals. Conceding one of those in a game is annoying enough, but three of them to lose 3-2 :lol: Chelsea definitely had the margins on their side. Not that we played well by any means either, but thought we deserved a point at least. Chelsea did a really good job at nerfing Bruno.

Good night to update the ignore list.

Deflections, pussy footing around challenges, our midfield playing in 0.5x speed, constant fucking injuries :lol:

And in comparison, it just seems like the ball never EVER falls kindly for us (slight exaggeration obviously), but seriously, it just doesn't.

6 minutes ago, huss9 said:

dubravka diving reminds me of harper.

Very similar. Especially the second goal where he came off his line a bit and made it harder for him to see the ball, before he knows it, it's despatched in the nice generous chunk of the goal exposed 

14 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

Our last 20 games on Monday nights (including tonight):

• Played 20 Won 1 Drawn 3 Lost 16 Goals Scored 11 Goals Conceded 39
  • So just once in 19 have NUFC kept a clean sheet.
  • Only twice in the last 14 have Newcastle United managed to score a goal.

MNF can fuck right off!

Do you know where the figures are available? I wanted to check ours too.

It’s bonkers. Just a search online brings up articles from years and years ago saying your record is abysmal. Don't know why you bother watching any more. At least if you go you get to sing and dance.

17 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

Our last 20 games on Monday nights (including tonight):

• Played 20 Won 1 Drawn 3 Lost 16 Goals Scored 11 Goals Conceded 39
  • So just once in 19 have NUFC kept a clean sheet.
  • Only twice in the last 14 have Newcastle United managed to score a goal.

MNF can fuck right off!

Blue Monday indeed. 

1 minute ago, huss9 said:

dubravka should have screamed for botman to get out the way for the first goal. it was his all day.

Terrible clearance. Tony Adams would have had that out the stadium 

Guest reefatoon
7 minutes ago, Jonas said:

37 since Dubs came back is damning.

14 games each. Dubravka -37  Pope - 12

It’s played a massive part in our season losing Pope.