Crystal Palace 2-0 Newcastle United (24/04/24) | Reaction: pg 34

Yorkie

1 minute ago, Southern Geordie said:

Don’t forget we still have United to play. That game defines 6th, so if we’re up for it like we were last time we beat them at OT, our goal difference gets us Europe.

I guess the way we play away from home means people are hardly confident of getting a result there. 

3 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Well I’d certainly hope our senior club officials and directors could answer that question in an effective manner over the course of the summer.

I think if clubs had wanted our shit players, they would have already have been sold.

A poor performance against a side full of confidence. 

As Edward always says, it's about not getting too high or too low. With the piecemeal nature of the side we could struggle for consistency for the remainder of the season. It's why fifth was never really in the equation, no matter what Spurs do.

Edited by The Prophet

Just now, dcmk said:

How good do you actually think we are?

I mean look at our keeper and backline..  And Longstaff has been playing injured in what is a vital position of the pitch.

Bullied us and pressed us all over the pitch.  Couldn't get close to Eze and our CB's couldn't deal with Mateta.

It was always going be a difficult match, every PL game is.

Don’t get me wrong, that was always going to be tough.  But the basics weren’t there tonight - being second string doesn’t mean that they have an excuse for not being able to string two consecutive passes together.  Palace didn’t need to play well - we were passive and technically levels below where we should be.  I thought Bruno, Isak and Gordon were collectively poor too - it wasn’t just the Murphys and Longstaffs in the team. 

When we play well the team is the sum of its parts, but when we don't some of those parts are nowhere good enough for this level.  Krafth, Longstaff, Murphy and Burn are exposed for the levels they actually are.

You can't carry that many average players if the team doesn't play well.

Edited by Bimpy474

8 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

My bigger concern is will we actually be ruthless enough in the summer and get rid of the players we need to in order to progress? 

Slow(ish) build innit. It's been the message from the start of the takeover.

We're making good progress regardless.

Only had seen him the once but I called it the big lad up front would cause us problems.

10 day break didn’t seem to help us mind.

Hall looked bright again. Still wish we had ASM to bring off the bench for these types of games. Our passing plan for 75mins was very tentative.

Palace worthy winners.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

A poor performance, against a side full of confidence. 

As Edward always says, it's about not getting too high or too low. With the piecemeal nature of the side we could struggle for consistency for the remainder of the season. It's why fifth was never really in the equation, no matter what Spurs do.

I’m pretty sure he is referring to himself and the players regarding not getting too high or too low. That’s exactly what a fan is being about tbh.

Terrible game for us.. absolutely shithoused by them. Ref was never going to give us anything either.

But disappointing that we just sort of accepted it with only a few grumbles. Their midfield were better than us. The albino ran the show, even against Bruno which just should not be.. but here we are.

The pitch was a disgrace.. after 15/20 mins the game should have been paused so that the players could adjust their footwear.

Looked a penalty on Longstaff all day. Again, what’s the use of a video referee if they are afraid to overrule a ref.. that’s what it was.. if he hadn’t seen that it would have been given, it was that he did see it and said no that VAR said no. Total bollocks.

7 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Don't think that's entirely accurate of all, I'm one of Howes cheerleaders, best manager we've had in ages, but tonight it's been shite from all, his choices to start were questionable, and the game plan was none existent, why we didn't alter sooner has cost us, time and time people continue to point out its his lack of response, reactive not proactive. 

I wasn't on about you

My biggest issue with tonight is, we had 10 days to come up with a plan to beat Palace, and though "Nah, let's just use the one that worked against Tottenham" who play a completely different type of football. We then followed that up by not changing it for 60 mins. 

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Slow(ish) build innit. It's been the message from the start of the takeover.

We're making good progress regardless.

Aye, as disappointing as it was, we're moaning and we're 7th. A long way from where we were, less than two seasons ago. It's progress alright, we just have to patient and not over react to every poor set back.

5 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’m pretty sure he is referring to himself and the players regarding not getting too high or too low. That’s exactly what a fan is being about tbh.

Aye he probably is.

I just think we'll remain inconsistent while we have the likes of Dubravka, Krafth, Burn, Longstaff and Murphy out there. 

Edited by The Prophet

I think if tino and hall started at fullback we win this game. Bit of technical ability to progress the ball and get our three up top into the game. 

We weren’t good today but I think palace just simply wanted it more, very impressive display from them mostly just in their work rate. The tactical matchup didn’t help. 

Thought we held out pretty well considering the possession numbers up until the goal. Schar and Burn both stepped up at the same time there one of them needs to play sweeper in that situation. 

No clue how that wasn’t a penalty. 

Thought Howe should have made changes earlier in the match when the writing was on the wall that our shape was a mismatch for the opposition…instead of gambling on us to catch them on the break. 

Played a bit too route one for my liking, I get it though since Palace basically dared us to by leaving only 3 men back. Brave of them. 

That’s football. Not the end of the world or even the end of our hopes at a European place. We still play Man U in a while so no need to go all doom and gloom. Wouldn’t be too mad about conference league to develop youngsters and have less of a toll on us in the PL. 

8 minutes ago, Southern Geordie said:

Watching them against Coventry and tonight? Hell yeah. If we want it, that match is a walk over for the toon.

A ground where we’ve won one league game in over half a century isn’t a place where I think ‘walkover’ tbh

7 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

When we play well the team is the sum of it's parts, but when we don't some of those parts are nowhere good enough for this level.  Krafth, Longstaff, Murphy and Burn are exposed for the levels they actually are.

You can't carry that many average players if the team doesn't play well.

This is it essentially. Just too many average players in the squad. 

5 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I guess the way we play away from home means people are hardly confident of getting a result there. 

If there’s a team to play right now, it’s Man Utd. By the time we play them, they’ll have played:

Burnley home (maybe scrape a win, but this is the same weekend we play Sheffield Utd, so we must bounce back)

Palace away (and if they’d played them tonight would have lost as badly as we did)

Arsenal home (Get the record books ready…)

Ten Haag will be out the door, other than rat Fernandes and McGuire not one of them cares. 2-1 win for us all day long.