Newcastle United 1-1 Brighton & Hove Albion (11/05/24) | Reaction: pg 21

Yorkie

1 minute ago, Danh1 said:

Was in Platinum Club yesterday so got a free programme, not read one for years. Just been flicking through it there and there’s a bit where it lists the companies who have boxes. One of the names is “Mr and Mrs Ashley”. I had heard rumours that Ashley’s mam and dad wanted to keep their box but that confirms it. 

As part of the deal the new owners had to agree to gift his parents a box for life. It's on the halfway line. They still attend apparently.

This is from the person who runs hospitality at the ground...

8 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

We weren’t in Europe of any kind when Bruno and Isak signed 

Maybe not, but they probably hoped we'd do a City rather swiftly with our new owners. Obviously the rules have changed to prohibit that, and it could take several years to reach the top (challenge for title, regular CL, actually win something), if it's even possible at all.

8 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

As part of the deal the new owners had to agree to gift his parents a box for life. It's on the halfway line. They still attend apparently.

If they have passion for the club then fair enough, not going to hold any malice against them because their son is a cunt 

12 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

Absolutely mental they still attend, imagine listening and seeing the abuse (deserved) their son got and still wanting to turn up.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Absolutely mental they still attend, imagine listening and seeing the abuse (deserved) their son got and still wanting to turn up.

Aye - surprised me too but maybe they think he's a prick and joined in back in the day? [emoji38]

Posted (edited)

Ansu Fati signing for Brighton was high profile despite it not seeming to go as well as expected, then there's Chelsea signing a host of talent with potential reputation while finishing 12th last season.

And Spurs seemed to still make good transfers despite finishing 8th and struggling for a CL place this season. West Ham seem to go alright with signings like Paqueta, Kudus, Alvarez.

Not quite sure this players demand Europe narrative is as cut and dry as some make out, I'd say a hell of a lot of it comes down to salary and agents haggling. 

I think some people don't realise just how poor the salaries are outside the PL, Kudus allegedly jumping from 11k pw at Ajax to 90k pw at West Ham is a no brainer.

Got to agree with the quote below. 

35 minutes ago, Chicken Dancer said:

I don’t really take your point on this to be honest. Diaby was one of the most sought after young players in Europe last season and Aston Villa managed to sign him despite only being in the Conference League. 

Younger players will more often than not sign for the journey rather than the destination, and you’d like to think there’ll be gentlemen’s agreements in place that if we haven’t qualified for the Champions League in 2/3 years you’re allowed to seek a transfer.

Edited by mighty__mag

34 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

Need to do a west ham on it

Frustration lingering well into today after that. 

I didn't think we played particularly badly by any means and credit to Brighton for doing a job on us. The issues for us were clear; final ball lacking, quality finishing lacking. A ref that enabled one team's shithousery. Boiling conditions preventing us from implementing an effective pressing game which can give us an edge. 

I'm wondering if Harvey Barnes is going to be defined by maddening inconsistency; for him to fire-in that absolute missile against West Ham, too those two limp dick efforts yesterday. So frustrating. 

I thought Tino and Krafth were very good from a defensive point of view and Bruno drove most of what was good. Good to see Trippier back and it was a lovely surprise to see Cisse with Jonas. Thought Anderson was mostly anonymous and Murphy replicated performances of pre-2022. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

I didn't think we played particularly badly by any means and credit to Brighton for doing a job on us. The issues for us were clear; final ball lacking, quality finishing lacking. A ref that enabled one team's shithousery. Boiling conditions preventing us from implementing an effective pressing game which can give us an edge. 

I'm wondering if Harvey Barnes is going to be defined by maddening inconsistency; for him to fire-in that absolute missile against West Ham, too those two limp dick efforts yesterday. So frustrating. 

I thought Tino and Krafth were very good from a defensive point of view and Bruno drove most of what was good. Good to see Trippier back and it was a lovely surprise to see Cisse with Jonas. Thought Anderson was mostly anonymous and Murphy replicated performances of pre-2022. 

Murphy goes through cycles of putting a few decent performances in making you think there's a player there before then reminding you he isn't at this level. 

See also Almiron. 

29 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

If they have passion for the club then fair enough, not going to hold any malice against them because their son is a cunt 

Agreed. Hopefully they buy some Adidas shirts from JD Sports.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I thought Brighton played pretty well yesterday. For us it was a combination of things, Isak unwell, Wilson out (again) and we just lacked that cutting edge in the final 3rd as a result. I thought Barnes was a bit sloppy on his spell and Murphy being replaced by Miggy tells you everything you need to know about how much RW needs upgrading - neither are up to it. 

Disappointing last home game result but there’s still everything to play for 💪

As soon as the news broke about Wilson I think they was a collective feeling that maybe this wouldn't be a straight forward win. 

Earlier this season isak struggled on his own where was Wilson was an absolute menace to them at SJP when we kicked their arse 4-1. 

Even if isak wasn't ill, I still feel he is not the player to play against a low block which brings the necessity to find a centre forward who can (hopefully to play alongside isak) 

For me I'd prioritise a centre forward rather than RW. I think criticism of Murphy is a little harsh when hes got a decent assist record especially lately. Defenders seemed tighter to him which effected his delivery, however sometimes he put it in and it looked like a simple take for the keeper but only because there wasn't anyone attacking the six yard box 

Edited by Pancrate1892
Spelling

23 minutes ago, Cf said:

Murphy goes through cycles of putting a few decent performances in making you think there's a player there before then reminding you he isn't at this level. 

See also Almiron. 

Truth in that, but no player is ‘on it’/a real difference maker, every game. For example, I understand neither Isak or Bruno looked at their best yesterday and Gordon’s decision making received quite a bit of flak.  
Guess we all want a full team of players whose ‘cycles’ are mainly made up of large proportion of positive performances and less of the rest. Also a bench with players who can put in positive performances, but are probably going to do so less consistently. 

For what it’s worth, I’ve heard rumours that even before he sold us, that Ashley does not have a good relationship with his parents. He used to invite them to games as a means of making an attempt to improve that, but they only ever went to games and still didn’t see him outside of them.

His mother is apparently one of the nicest people, and people at SJP wouldn’t even know the relationship between her and Ashley because of how nice she is.

To be honest I'm not too disappointed about the results yesterday. I don't really want us to play in the Europa conference thing because after the highs of last year and playing in the Champions League it would be a bit second rate. It involves a lot of games often against poor quality sides and I think it would be better to concentrate on the PL and maybe domestic cups. I'm not sure that there are big financial rewards either 

I can't see players being excited about playing in the Conference or players wanting to come here because we are playing in it. The Champions League is a different matter entirely and I'd like to see us focus on becoming a regular top 4 side

4 minutes ago, jackyboy said:

To be honest I'm not too disappointed about the results yesterday. I don't really want us to play in the Europa conference thing because after the highs of last year and playing in the Champions League it would be a bit second rate. It involves a lot of games often against poor quality sides and I think it would be better to concentrate on the PL and maybe domestic cups. I'm not sure that there are big financial rewards either 

I can't see players being excited about playing in the Conference or players wanting to come here because we are playing in it. The Champions League is a different matter entirely and I'd like to see us focus on becoming a regular top 4 side

Why are you only talking about Conference? We are still top 6, which means Europa League. If we had won yesterday, Europa League would've been quite likely. That tournament is a big step above Conference League, and could actually help attracting players. Also, as @TheBrownBottle pointed out earlier, going deep in one of the smaller ones could give the same financial gain as CL group stages.

49 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I thought Anderson was our best player in the 1st half -  granted he disappeared a bit in the second but he was always wanting the ball.  Murphy was poor and imo shouldn't have started the 2nd half.

1 hour ago, Danh1 said:

Was in Platinum Club yesterday so got a free programme, not read one for years. Just been flicking through it there and there’s a bit where it lists the companies who have boxes. One of the names is “Mr and Mrs Ashley”. I had heard rumours that Ashley’s mam and dad wanted to keep their box but that confirms it. 

Yep, they’re here every week 👍

I was at the match yesterday and my overriding feeling was that we played a good side yesterday, who has just found their way back into some form and has some confidence.

Their defence barely gave Isak and Gordon a sniff, certainly early on and they looked solid once behind their block.

What didn't help was, and this is a reoccurring theme when we don't win, our poorer players were awful.

It's one thing saying Isak was quiet or Bruno misplaced a couple of passes but Murphy in particular was awful. Tino although certainly not a poor player was done a couple of times, Hall was OK but made a few poorer passes.

I actually thought our centre halves, and indeed our man for man tactic worked for the most part. We forced their keeper to punt it down the middle and while some thought it was an error, I felt that they never looked dangerous from them balls.

Overall it was a sub par performance against a very solid side, who I'm 100% sure will aid us in our European quest.

Against Man Utd, we need to see changes. Trippier, Joelinton, Pope and Miggy/Barnes all to come in.... and Schar if available (we chronically missed his distribution).

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Tino was poor yesterday, kept getting done at full back first half by stepping out and they would get passed him with a quick 1-2.

Everything Brighton were doing was down that side.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Krafth is a weird one. We allways expect him to be shit, and sometimes he is, but more often than not he's surprisingly decent. Just does the job, nothing too fancy. Might be time to move him on, but wouldn't hate having him around if he can accept minimal playing time.

Edited by Erikse

1 minute ago, JigsawGoesToPieces said:

Tino was poor yesterday, kept getting done at full back first half by stepping out and they would get passed him with a quick 1-2.

Could be right; I thought he dug himself out of problems a few times to good effect.

My critique is often off when it's my first time at the ground for a while. :lol: Too busy soaking it all in. 

I was in the East Stand/Leazes corner for the first time. Loved the view and there was a good atmosphere there, plus I was at the back of a section so had the pleasure of being able to stand. Good lord the legroom was the pits though. I wonder how tall people can cope at times.

20 minutes ago, JigsawGoesToPieces said:

Thought he started poor (Enciso did him early on), thought he was fine second half defensively. Attacking wise I thought he was poor, I’d have bought Tripps on earlier as we where getting joy down there we just wasted it every time.