Manchester United 3-2 Newcastle United (15/05/24) | Reaction: pg 53

Yorkie

Our defence is so weak at the moment, and Dubravka added to that... Toney will score a couple. 

Krafth is weak in the air, but Trippier was choses I guess because Schär was not trusted to last 90 mins. Trippier was horrible, I mean looked like he was drunk.

Isak was way too isolated and we (especially Hall) played ball long too quickly. There were huge gaps between ManU defence and top 6 again, but we decided to hoof it long to Gordon and Isak who were 2v4 or 2v3. 

This is one thing I hope Howe can fix next season. Just play past their press, which we did yesterday by switching to Trippier, and there were oceans of space. Sadly then it was 1v1 Murphy v Dalot. If we only had a decent RW..

7 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

I swear that the definition of bottling it now is just 'being in a position to achieve something and then for any reason it doesn't happen'

Seems a phrase that's getting used a lot recently for anyone that doesn't win

6 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

Seems a phrase that's getting used a lot recently for anyone that doesn't win

To me. It’s when there is something meaningful at stake. Or perhaps against a big stadium or team. Then the players freeze, play a bit scared and/or safe and make poor mistakes all the while. Bottling their chance to win X, qualify etc. 

Last night certainly felt like that to me. I don’t think we were undone against a brilliant team. Bar Fernandes and Mainoo. Plus the odd moment from Casemiro and Amrabat (they were shit in the main, otherwise). They were crap as a collective. We were just even worse, or worse in the moments that mattered at either end. 

Woke up with almost no recollection, then it all flooded back and it's put me in a shit mood :lol:

Said it before the game, why oh why do we have to turn to shit when something actually rides on a game, against a team that were already low on confidence.

Dunno if we maybe have too many personnel with an Ashley hangover which is basically a spirited but ultimately losers mentality(I'd say as fan base we struggle with this also, well I do).

Posted (edited)

Last night was a microcosm of our entire season

A cobbled together side with too many squad players in the starting line up

Awful at the back

Wasteful in front of goal

A keeper who’s infuriating 

What boils my piss most is that last season, for the first time in my 30+ years of following this club, we were absolutely rock solid at the back. It inspired confidence 

This season we’ve conceded 60 with a game to play vs 33 over 38 games last term.

And so many soft goals that we’ve gifted, like last night  

Edited by bobbydazzla

Forgot about Bruno having a free header on their goal too. So many chances last night, so frustrating how it all fell. Thought I'd wake up happier :lol:

Thought Eddie was perfect post match, already assessing that it’s not all down to VAR missing the penalty and that we just weren’t good enough at the back or in front of goal.

Let’s go again on Sunday and finish on a high.

39 minutes ago, NE27 said:

Woke up with almost no recollection, then it all flooded back and it's put me in a shit mood :lol:

Said it before the game, why oh why do we have to turn to shit when something actually rides on a game, against a team that were already low on confidence.

Dunno if we maybe have too many personnel with an Ashley hangover which is basically a spirited but ultimately losers mentality(I'd say as fan base we struggle with this also, well I do).

Learning to win in those big games is a completely different skill set that players  and managers need to learn in time. Poch has had it follow him his entire career taking spurs to the edge of a prem title and a CL final or semi (can’t remember which) but he just couldn’t get the job done.  

55 minutes ago, SiLvOR said:

That 3v1 chance is gonna be swirling round my head most of the day I think :lol:

If Isak cuts back instead of shooting, it is impossible for man united to defend given the overload we have.

You just have to make use of the extra bodies in that situation as you turn a 50/50 chance into an 80/20. 

That said, Isak has been as good as anyone in the league in 1 on 1 situations this season. 

38 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Last night was a microcosm of our entire season

A cobbled together side with too many squad players in the starting line up

Awful at the back

Wasteful in front of goal

A keeper who’s infuriating 

What boils my piss most is that last season, for the first time in my 30+ years of following this club, we were absolutely rock solid at the back. It inspired confidence 

This season we’ve conceded 60 with a game to play vs 33 over 38 games last term.

And so many soft goals that we’ve gifted, like last night  

I do believe put pope in goal and that conceded goal total half’s.

Our midfield is also a core part of the problem and with Tonali, Willock and Big Joe fit we would have so much more energy and drive in the group.

The three lads we are left with look exhausted (longstaff always does) and at the moment they are neither supporting defence or attack

4 minutes ago, Boey_Jarton said:

If Isak cuts back instead of shooting, it is impossible for man united to defend given the overload we have.

You just have to make use of the extra bodies in that situation as you turn a 50/50 chance into an 80/20. 

That said, Isak has been as good as anyone in the league in 1 on 1 situations this season. 

I mentioned earlier that we get affected in the big moments at OT regardless of the quality of the 2 sets of players.

I was fully expecting Isak to turn back inside, Amrabat was fully committed to Isak shooting. Isak doesn’t shoot if that’d been Amrabat playing for say Forest at The City Ground.

It has to stop; I’m even more annoyed at losing this morning. 

1 hour ago, SiLvOR said:

That 3v1 chance is gonna be swirling round my head most of the day I think :lol:

Miggy sliding in for Gordon's ball across goal for me, but with hindsight it's dawned on me just how many chances we should have buried.

1 hour ago, SiLvOR said:

Up there with Barnes against Liverpool for me, rent free for the next 9 months in my head. 

We didn't bottle it, those fucking Mancs just always seem to get the rub of the green. They played worse than us but had luck on their side. 

I just hope we are not the ones who miss out on european football but if we are and that causes some players to want to go elsewhere, so be it - we will use that money to reinvest. 

We will be at the top one day - I have no doubt about that. It's just a matter of time. 

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Already mentioned several times, but it’s so frustrating that Trippier comes back in and automatically takes all the set pieces.

Tonali should be on corners next season. His delivery is fantastic with pace and most of his assists for AC were from corners.

Anderson and Longstaff had so much space between the lines, particularly first half. That's where we miss a bit of quality with Willock, Tonali or even big Joe.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Anderson and Longstaff had so much space between the lines, particularly first half. That's where we miss a bit of quality with Willock, Tonali or even big Joe.

That moment where Longstaff strode forward unopposed with at least three options in front of him in the box (as well as a shooting opportunity) and just passed it straight to a defender. :lol: :anguish:

In hindsight I think the main bulk of our issues came from Anderson & Longstaff making up two thirds of our midfield. Both were too slow (shock, horror) and offered little in the way of creativity, which you'd expect from Longstaff as that's not his game but we've completely stopped playing to his strengths. You're not winning many matches away from home in the PL with that midfield 3 trying to play that way.

I'd be tempted to loan Anderson next season if we have a good enough summer window.

41 minutes ago, Boey_Jarton said:

Exactly what I was thinking at time. Little bit of composure there, and we score.