Giorgi Mamardashvili

Jack27

I think something really important to remember is that clubs can't always just sign every player at the right time. Every now and then, a club might look at a deal and say we have to do this NOW.

What if in a years time we decided we wanted a new keeper and the one guy who we really liked has moved elsewhere because we didn't act.

It's all well and good having an idea of what you need for the 24/25 season but you need an eye on the 3 or 4 seasons after that.

There's a balance the other way too, if you don't fix the immediate needs of the team, the results will also surely suffer. A fine balancing act and not an easy job.

If we think this guy could be our keeper for 10 years, Nick Pope becomes irrelevant in the discussion.

8 minutes ago, STM said:

I think something really important to remember is that clubs can't always just sign every player at the right time. Every now and then, a club might look at a deal and say we have to do this NOW.

What if in a years time we decided we wanted a new keeper and the one guy who we really liked has moved elsewhere because we didn't act.

It's all well and good having an idea of what you need for the 24/25 season but you need an eye on the 3 or 4 seasons after that.

There's a balance the other way too, if you don't fix the immediate needs of the team, the results will also surely suffer. A fine balancing act and not an easy job.

If we think this guy could be our keeper for 10 years, Nick Pope becomes irrelevant in the discussion.

Think that's exactly what happened this year signing the likes of Tino and Hall. They were bought as back ups when we clearly needed more depth in the forward positions. Having said that, hopefully we will reap the benefits for the 24/25 season. 

Posted (edited)

Pope may be a high quality keeper, but he’s had 2 x shoulder dislocations and that makes his future career look much more risky 

And we’ve seen how much damage it does having a fuckwit like MDubz in nets for most of the season 

Pope possibly won’t like the idea of us signing a top quality keeper, but he can’t argue with the logic 

Edited by bobbydazzla

Agree with that. 

No idea what our budget is or what we are expecting to get in via player sales. But I still think a striker, right winger, defensive cover (sorted with the free transfers by the sounds of it) and having more than one CM that can play the deeper role. Are more pressing needs than a new number 1 GK for big money. 

Without even using hindsight. Plenty felt we were short at right wing and up front going into this season. Yet we spent 50 odd million on two full backs who barely played for large spells. 

So it is a fine line between current squad needs and players for the future we think are too good to turn down at the price. 

4 hours ago, LRD said:

Mamardashvili   1.99m

Burn                   1.98m

Adarabioyo       1.96m

Botman             1.93m

Isak                   1.92m

Pope                 1.92m

Building a team of giants.

Lewis Hall sabotaging the whole scheme, unfortunately.  And then if Southampton send Fraser back, it's totally ruined.

27 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

When we play out from the back this weakness sort of gets skipped over. But this season when teams have pressed us, he’s had to go long and you can just never be confident. I’m sure the stats can be found but I wouldn’t be shocked if 90% if his long kicks resulted in losing possession.

That’s a huge issue to sort.

I suppose it depends how you see it. I think the stat is we had the equal best defensive record, or one of the best up to the point Pope got injured. I think that matters more than whether Pope can ping passes around, or even have better ability with his feet than he has now.  We do indeed need to upgrade. However, my opinion in the short term is, it's not that something we need to address right now.

And the pressing issue imo, was more us not having the squad to play how we wanted to, due to the injuries we had. We had no option to rotate or rest, and even try different things.  Be interesting to see what happens next season on how we approach new signings, especially with all the things we've been highlighting and have differing opinions on. I think it's going to fascinating actually, to see what positions we address in the next couple of months.

16 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

If they have any doubts at all about Pope's shoulder, a keeper is a massive priority.

Well, yes, we lost Pope for more than 60% of the season to a seemingly innocuous injury that had previously occurred.

Like it or not l, Pope is now in the category for high risk of repeated injuries. He's been excellent for us, but the club would be prudent to look at alternatives for this key position.

No brainer if true, even if Popes shoulder is fine. No matter how good Pope is at sweep-to-throw-in (think that part of his game is pretty overrated personally since we rarely convert his pro-active actions into possession) and between the goal posts, a keeper of similar skill but with an ounce of ability with his feet is a massive upgrade to how we can play, especially how we deal with a high press which we've really struggled with since forever.

Posted (edited)

I want him just for the fact he looked like he was going to strangle Vinius Jr., that was worth any admission fee to a game by itself!

Plus if he can shotstop like Pope AND actually kick a ball that's a plus.

Edited by Irish Magpie

It's not even that definite that Pope would get an offer elsewhere that would be attractive to him.

Make him the default cup keeper - there's 5 games in winning the League cup, 6 in winning the FA cup and 14 in the Conf League. With there always being a chance of injury or suspension to get some league games it may well be his best option

6 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

It's not even that definite that Pope would get an offer elsewhere that would be attractive to him.

Make him the default cup keeper - there's 5 games in winning the League cup, 6 in winning the FA cup and 14 in the Conf League. With there always being a chance of injury or suspension to get some league games it may well be his best option

We would probably want to peddle him if we got an upgrade mind, FFP and his age sees to that. 

Posted (edited)

I'm a huge Pope fan and would be quite happy to see him and big Mama compete for the gloves a la Shaka and Pav. 

I'd get shot of Dubravaka if we can. Too old and supports Man U. Karius seems happy enough to be a number 3 after his life imploded.

Edited by Monkey Alan

2 hours ago, Lordshola said:

From the highlights I’ve seen, he doesn’t keep hold of the ball at all. Asking for trouble

Yeah seems to palm it a lot out on vids . His record for Valencia this season is amazing though and seems very highly rated 

5 hours ago, Monkey Alan said:

I'm a huge Pope fan and would be quite happy to see him and big Mama compete for the gloves a la Shaka and Pav. 

I'd get shot of Dubravaka if we can. Too old and supports Man U. Karius seems happy enough to be a number 3 after his life imploded.

Isn't it confirmed that Karius will leave this summer?