Group C: 1. England, 2. Denmark, 3. Slovenia (Q), 4. Serbia

Big River

The fitness quotes and the stuff about Kalvin Phillips are just panic. This is the first time the media have really scrutinised Southgate and he’s not handling it well.

However apart from some crackheads who want Bellingham pushed back into midfield and Foden at 10 the media are calling it right.

Actually feel a bit for Southgate tbh.

I think he's done a wonderful job in reconnecting the players with the England fans and giving them some degree of relatability. A lot of them seem to be very professional and represent England the right ways.

However, where he is falling down is tactically and through his team selection. These also result in being contributory factors for bad man management. Play world class players out of position and they'll not play their best and won't appreciate it. That in itself loses you influence, none moreso than when you're England manager and our press are relentlessly willing to give you shit at the drop of a hat.

The issue with our current squad is that it's quite clearly strong in attack and they're being made to defend/control games rather than obliterate sides. He isn't the man for this job at present. If we have a more attacking minded manager come in for the world cup then we could actually do alright I feel.

Every single person I've spoken with re. England asks what we're doing with at least one of the following;

Kane

Watkins

Foden

TAA

Gordon

Palmer

Mainline

But each and every time it centres around our lack of a left hand side, a striker that players CM and a CDM that's a RWB.

I think when you start coming out in the media and not acknowledging these things then you're on to a hiding to nothing like. He really must get a tune out this lot and a solid performance or two in the next two or we'll be dumped out prematurely and he'll be ditched rather emphatically I suspect.

Shame really, in short, another fine respectable gentleman that will likely be ridiculed, mocked, torn apart and dumped by our media. Just like SBR.

Edited by Heron

46 minutes ago, Heron said:

Actually feel a bit for Southgate tbh.

I think he's done a wonderful job in reconnecting the players with the England fans and giving them some degree of relatability. A lot of them seem to be very professional and represent England the right ways.

However, where he is falling down is tactically and through his team selection. These also result in being contributory factors for bad man management. Play world class players out of position and they'll not play their best and won't appreciate it. That in itself loses you influence, none moreso than when you're England manager and our press are relentlessly willing to give you shit at the drop of a hat.

The issue with our current squad is that it's quite clearly strong in attack and they're being made to defend/control games rather than obliterate sides. He isn't the man for this job at present. If we have a more attacking minded manager come in for the world cup then we could actually do alright I feel.

Every single person I've spoken with re. England asks what we're doing with at least one of the following;

Kane

Watkins

Foden

TAA

Gordon

Palmer

Mainline

But each and every time it centres around our lack of a left hand side, a striker that players CM and a CDM that's a RWB.

I think when you start coming out in the media and not acknowledging these things then you're on to a hiding to nothing like. He really must get a tune out this lot and a solid performance or two in the next two or we'll be dumped out prematurely and he'll be ditched rather emphatically I suspect.

Shame really, in short, another fine respectable gentleman that will likely be ridiculed, mocked, torn apart and dumped by our media. Just like SBR.

the great SBR managed to turn opinion around.

On 22/06/2024 at 15:23, LFEE said:

Always thought too much is read into the Italian game. Yes I agree it was our best ever chance of winning something as personally thought our team was at its peak (and better than the current one) but Italy came into that tournament unbeaten under Mancini (?) having their best streak of form ever for the Italian national side ever was it not? Early goals are always misleading and it’s not as if we lost the game in. 120mins. Just bottled the penalties after supposedly pick our best 5 takers.

we had a great subs bench but he refused to use it until it was too late.

he played for penalties.

even admitted it was more important they didnt concede a second rather than go for another goal.

Would have put Wharton or Bellingham in alongside Rice personally, but Gallagher will do a job. Just need to allow Rice some freedom to support more in attack, he doesn’t need to be so anchored. Stones and Guehi have been solid, give them some trust and allow Rice off the leash.

Apparently Won 4 out of 24 against teams in the top 10 fifa rankings. 

If so, he shouldn't have made it to this one. Nice guy and good personal manager but a complete fraud of a football manager.

30 minutes ago, Magpie said:

Imagine watching them two games and thinking swapping Trent for Gallagher is the answer!! We offer absolutely sweet FA down the left, it's painfully obvious.

It's tragic. I hope the lose tomorrow night, shame they sneaked a win 1st game or i'd happily see them home and make this his last game. Fingers crossed he goes to Manure, he'd set them back at least a decade.

Gallagher is not going to bring the quality on the ball we have been lacking to get us up the pitch. He isn’t going to be picking those passes into feet and we’ll still have nobody to go in behind. Save from maybe Gallagher himself getting beyond Kane from time to time, or Rice. But then Trent would have been the one playing those balls in the current setup :lol:  

Such a safety first, shit decision. Gordon and/or Wharton should be coming into the team. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

i'll wait till tomorrow - surely no one has the inside knowledge on tomorrow's team.

but fuck me, if he starts with same team/formation other than gallagher for TAA.

he said himself about them lacking energy and struggling with the press.

but still no gordon!!!!!!

idiot if thats the case.

why do we always have to try shoehorn our best players into an 11 by playing them out of position or out of form.

2 hours ago, Jonas said:

Would be a million to one shot for them not to go through  - don't get the panic and apparent nerves the TV keeps hyping up.

dont think there's any nerves about tomorrow, its where we go from there.

games are getting harder and southgate doesnt seem to know what he's doing.

not by results but performance wise we must be one of the worst 4 or 5 teams in the tournament so far.

2 hours ago, joeyt said:

Don't know why Kane has picked a fight with Shearer and Lineker, was never going to end well

Even if the media have stirred it

Don’t think Kane said much wrong. What I couldn’t understand was apparently Shearer & Lineker have apparently been constructive in their criticism (?) yet the question the journalist asked clearly stated that Lineker said they where “shit” which obviously isn’t constructive. Was it true he said that?