Group D: 1. Austria, 2. France, 3. Netherlands (Q), 4. Poland

Big River

1 minute ago, ponsaelius said:

WC2014 massively fizzled out in the knockouts, IMO a very overrated tournament. Think the last two world cups were both better for me if you ignore vibes bias.

In terms of Euros I think they're always good pretty with the exception of 2016 which was a massive anomaly in terms of being very low scoring.

I did say WC2014 group stage tbf :lol:

Do you not think everything seems slower than usual? Could be the heat, fatigue, teams pacing themselves I suppose.

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I did say WC2014 group stage tbf :lol:

Do you not think everything seems slower than usual? Could be the heat, fatigue, teams pacing themselves I suppose.

Nah I don't personally, international tournaments are always imperfect in terms of football. Maybe it's just more noticeable as club football has become so efficient. There is always some absolute stinking games at tournaments as well - Qatar started with loads but ended up being class.

The only thing I would say is the big teams have been pretty disappointing except Spain/Germany, but on the other side I've been genuinely entertained by Poland and Slovakia which is a minor miracle so it has balanced out. 

Edited by ponsaelius

Just now, ponsaelius said:

Nah I don't personally, international tournaments are always imperfect in terms of football. Maybe it's just more noticeable as club football has become so efficient.

The only thing I would say is the big teams have been pretty disappointing except Spain/Germany, but on the other side I've been genuinely entertained by Poland and Slovakia which is a minor miracle so it has balanced out. 

Austria and Albania have been great value as well

3 minutes ago, OoOGazOoO said:

But you KNOW we don't have a good replacement for Kalvin-Phillips!

I could have used bbc iPlayer on me phone in the time I’ve been moaning about it, but it’s probably finished now…! 

Edited by Geordie Boyo

Second round of games inevitably cahier with most teams happy to settle for a point, either cos it all but puts them through or provides an opportunity going into the last game. 

It's partly the format. Genuine contenders know they can ease their way in as there's almost no chance of going out in group stages. Smaller teams know one good win and you're through - which is the peak of their ambitions really. 

16 team format has far more jeopardy from day 1 - which can be to the benefit of hitting ground running along with tighter quality. But there are trade offs in that final group games can be genuine dead rubbers - which is actually almost impossible in this format.

2 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Nah I don't personally, international tournaments are always imperfect in terms of football. Maybe it's just more noticeable as club football has become so efficient. There is always some absolute stinking games at tournaments as well - Qatar started with loads but ended up being class.

Genuinely just Austria, maybe Turkey for me. Got behind Albania, but there haven't been any classics at all yet and think that's the noticeable thing for me.

It has to get better imo.

44 minutes ago, Keefaz said:

I mean, he is standing right next to the keeper. I can see why they chalked it off. 

He essentially ensures that the keeper cannot make an attempt at diving after the ball. He'd never have saved it but as the rule is structured, the defender, by taking away the keeper's opportunity to dive for the ball - is clearly "interfering in play". 

Do I think it should be that way when the keeper would have had no chance regardless? Absolutely not, but here we are :anguish: 

I think the rules of the game need a massive overhaul and that them not having been properly updated plays a big part in making VAR not function as well as it should. Well, that and English refs being absolute shitstains, of course.

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Deschamps makes Southgate look risk tolerant.

penalty kick away from winning 2 world cups.

nations league winner.

runner up in the euros.

better being a lucky manager than a good one.

unfortunately southgate is neither.

2 minutes ago, huss9 said:

penalty kick away from winning 2 world cups.

nations league winner.

runner up in the euros.

better being a lucky manager than a good one.

unfortunately southgate is neither.

I'm not saying he's bad, just very risk adverse.

The great Spanish team were as boring as they come, but incredibly effective.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

I'm not saying he's bad, just very risk adverse.

The great Spanish team were as boring as they come, but incredibly effective.

i  dont think he;s very good. but he;s damn lucky.