Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Strawberry

7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

They can seek all they want, but once a player is in the last year of his contract, you don’t hold the cards. Especially if you’re in a shit financial position.

3 minutes ago, SteV said:

They can seek all they want, but once a player is in the last year of his contract, you don’t hold the cards. Especially if you’re in a shit financial position.

Especially if you’re offering to buy before the PSR deadline day.

2 hours ago, Shearergol said:

The topic was our worst signings since the takeover. He’s bound to be discussed in that without it having to be labelled a grudge imo. Do people have a “grudge” against Targett too?

The topic is done to death and you know fine well then topic for others was worst striker. It's canny pathetic either way, he's gone, it's over, let it go man

37 mil is a lot, but it all depends on what money we bring in, abd how close we really are to the PSR. 

If 37 mil means not signing a RW or a RCB then no thanks. If its DCL for 37, plus good quailty for both of those positions, then lets do it.

The money only makes a difference if it affects us signing players in other positions. 

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I feel like I’ve barely seen him play. I don’t follow Everton games closely though. 

I don’t know if the games were consecutive enough to build up any form or if it was more like 2 starts, injury, 2 sub appearances, injury, etc etc. 

If we want to sign him I trust the club, but it feels a bit odd. 

Haven’t noticed him that much either. What I can recall, is he has strengths protecting the ball and holding up play to bring in others. He looks exceptional in the air/very difficult to push off the ball in a challenge. I think his movement looks good/intelligent forward play pulling defenders out of the way to make space. Seems to have a good touch.
Not sure about his ball striking or striker instinct, I.e. whether he is one of those players who is good at being in the right place and quickly taking a half chance. Might do some ‘Wise’ scouting if this continues to rumble on. I’d like to feel excited about what he (any signing) might bring and like many others, I guess, it doesn’t seem that exciting yet. 

37 minutes ago, M1tche said:

37 mil is a lot, but it all depends on what money we bring in, abd how close we really are to the PSR. 

If 37 mil means not signing a RW or a RCB then no thanks. If its DCL for 37, plus good quailty for both of those positions, then lets do it.

The money only makes a difference if it affects us signing players in other positions. 

37 mill is going to have an impact on PSR in any case. Either in this window, and/or the next ones. For example, even if we can still spend a lot in different positions, those 37 mill could be spent on a different striker than DCL. Maybe even a cheaper ones, which would allow us to spend more in future windows. We are allways going to be spending close to the limit.

Edited by Erikse

Just now, Menace said:

That's absolutely insane money if true

It's probably what Everton have asked for, but even they must have been a bit red faced having the bare faced cheek to present as an opening price.

It depends what DCL is thinking. If he's decided he's not signing a new contract then Everton basically have to sell. Even 15m is semi-transformative to their funding of players, which they need.

He might be tempted to stay at Everton, if so, they might chance keeping him. Huge risk on their part. They can't really let him go for nothing next summer. 

3 minutes ago, dave s said:

I’m not keen, but if we sign him I’m sure Eddie can see something we can’t. Remember Gordon. 

I said this before and was shot down. Totally agree.

Just smells so inevitable that if we do sign him, he'll rupture his achillies in his first 5 mins on the pitch. Would rather take a chance on an unknown quantity, or heaven forbid, actually promote a reserve

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Maybe we're actually going the inflated fee route and Minteh will go for £40m the other way. :lol:

minteh would have to agree though.

"we're sending you to the scouse mackems."

Can't be sure about valuations in articles written by shithawks but 37 seems a very high starting point but it's just that - a starting point. I'm sure they think our apparent starting point of about 15 is really low too.

We're in the opposite position regarding Ashworth. Difference is that Everton need the cash and his value will be £0 in just 12 months time, it's an ambitious valuation but Calvert-Lewin's value will disappear, they've got 2 windows to shift him and they'll be lucky to get 8 for him in January

29 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

I said this before and was shot down. Totally agree.

Just smells so inevitable that if we do sign him, he'll rupture his achillies in his first 5 mins on the pitch. Would rather take a chance on an unknown quantity, or heaven forbid, actually promote a reserve

Which reserve do you have in mind?

This type of signing has been hinted at by Howe over the last 6 months. We cannot afford to bring in 4/5 players at £50M/60M each. We'll need a couple of free transfers and then a couple of these type of ones, proven Prem players at £20M-£30M. 

If we're really lucky we might get one bigger name in for a big fee BUT only if we sell all the lurkers (Miggy, Wilson, Dubs, maybe Longstaff).