Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Strawberry

1 minute ago, Dandy Man said:

Have we actually made a definitively bad signing since the takeover? Genuine question (sort of)

Some people will bring up Chris wood for that but I’m in the camp of he was a good signing as he came in and did a job then moved on with minimal fuss.

That’s the closest for me - perhaps the jury’s still out on Tonali 

34 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

And Douglas.

Unless my memory is failing me they all also speculated that Slot wanted him at Liverpool about 2 weeks ago too. It’s almost as if it’s some on here's first close season. Try to ignore the noise until something is confirmed either way, otherwise it’s an awful lot of emotional disregulation over nothing

1 minute ago, Gawalls said:

Some people will bring up Chris wood for that but I’m in the camp of he was a good signing as he came in and did a job then moved on with minimal fuss.

and considering that we were in a desperate position when he came in...the other acquisitions really worked out. Even Trippier who only played a handful of games, but helped us out of the gutter in just those games.

It still amazes me how easily we survived that season in the end.

1 minute ago, Gawalls said:

Aye, we hobbled Burnley a bit and got a quick fix that helped keep us up for all he was far from exhilarating and somehow managed to recoup a lot of what we paid, and he's somehow continued to score goals in the PL since

1 minute ago, mouldy_uk said:

Targett maybe?

(though a fair bit of hindsight applied)

Yeah, fair enough and was probably one that I thought was least risk given how his loan went

57 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

I don't think that's true, he's good with the ball as his feet, the question marks are over his fitness and finishing, but holding up the ball is his biggest strength and something we're really missing as an option.

I was probably a tad harsh. There was a good player in there at one point granted. Not too sure I’d like us to spend 20-25 million to try and maybe find that again though. Seems a bit risky to me for where we are and what we need. 

26 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

I have no trust if any of these rumours are true.  They are as grim as it comes and totally cement us as a 7-9 team

I must’ve imagined us getting a top 4 finish with a weaker squad then? Honestly reading the posts on here is almost enough to make me believe in the validity of the BPD diagnosis (Only just for fellow MH professionals)

7 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Unless my memory is failing me they all also speculated that Slot wanted him at Liverpool about 2 weeks ago too. It’s almost as if it’s some on here's first close season. Try to ignore the noise until something is confirmed either way, otherwise it’s an awful lot of emotional disregulation over nothing

Yeah it was Edwards saying Liverpool. This (DCL) is a little bit different with several outlets reporting it.

14 minutes ago, Dandy Man said:

Have we actually made a definitively bad signing since the takeover? Genuine question (sort of)

Chris Wood was rough, but then we got a decent chunk of the money back.

And then you also see what he did at Forest, and you kind of see what could have been.

1 hour ago, gjohnson said:

I've massively overestimated our scouting team if there's anything in this. Hope they can see something I can't ala Bellamy if it's remotely true. 

Would be as underwhelming as Riviere, but without the prospect of finding a potentially unearthed gem. Shame we found a lump of turd with Riviere, rather than actually looking for lumps of turd which we'll find with DCL

Of course they can see things you can’t 

I don’t love Calvert-Lewin but this makes total sense if we’re also buying a young European striker. If we get the Euro striker wrong, Isak gets injured and we don’t have a proven backup then it’s a disaster. Hopefully the Euro striker works out and DCL is little used but got to guard against the downside risk. 

2 minutes ago, Turnbull2000 said:

Our PSR situation must be pretty dire if this is being considered. Would rather cash in on one player (except Isak/Gordon/Bruno) to avoid a points deduction and keep Minteh. Maybe another centre back on a loan/free. That would be it for the summer.

And who else are people breaking our door down to buy

Let's say we sign DCL for 20m (last year of his contract). He gets a 5 year deal. 

That's 5÷20= 4m per year towards our PSR commitments.

We are likely to get something like 10m for Wilson, meaning (with DCL first payment removed) we've added 6m to our initial PSR coffers (because I believe we've paid our Wilson commitments?). 

6m might seem like peanuts, but it's likely the first payment on another deal, let's say Pedro Neto etc. 

The likelihood is that we will end up replacing Wilson for someone younger and its unlikely to cost us anything for the first couple of years.

DCL was absolutely class 3 years ago, so it's a gamble but it's not an expensive one.

Also, there's a good reason why all of our early deals seem "uninspiring" we are almost certainly getting some of the less glamorous business done early doors before we get a PSR boost after this month+ the possibility of player sales. 

49 minutes ago, Dandy Man said:

Not straight off the bat, but 12 months time could shine a different light on a few players.

Botman

Targett

Tonali

Barnes

They’re the four where things could look great by end of this season coming, or quite a lot of wasted money. 

1 minute ago, Sibierski said:

Not straight off the bat, but 12 months time could shine a different light on a few players.

Botman

Targett

Tonali

Barnes

They’re the four where things could look great by end of this season coming, or quite a lot of wasted money. 

Yes but how many with your captain hindsight cap off?

Botman is a unbelievable player, who had no injury record to speak of, you really holding that against them?

Tonali, even if we lose a year on him, was heralded as an absolutely insane capture. :lol: If he turns out shite, its very difficult for them to have seen that coming.

Targett was perhaps a safe signing that they probably already regret but at that time the landscape was different.

Barnes is a good player but yes, I agree, it may look like we went for a player in the wrong position.

You've missed the only obvious bad signing: Chris Wood. Who still served a purpose and we got a fair wedge back.

12 minutes ago, STM said:

Botman is a unbelievable player, who had no injury record to speak of, you really holding that against them?

Almost as bad at that daft lad who held Schar missing 2 games of the season against him, and accused him of faking it.

This country.

1 hour ago, mouldy_uk said:

Targett maybe?

(though a fair bit of hindsight applied)

Targett was class until he got hurt and then the Burn thing kept happening.

This feels DUMB.

If Minteh is hot air, why not just fucking rob Liverpool for 40 instead of whatever the fuck this is.