Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Strawberry

Just now, toon25 said:

Question: if Wilson was guaranteed to stay fit for the season, would folk want Wilson or DCL?

Absolute no-brainer for me.

Most stupid question of the year so far :lol: 

6 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Question: if Wilson was guaranteed to stay fit for the season, would folk want Wilson or DCL?

Wilson is one of the best strikers in the league if fit [emoji38]

3 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Piss off. 

Come on man, I meant no harm. More tongue in the cheek as it’s so so so obvious :lol:  (for me). Sorry if I offended you ☺️

Edited by Ikon

21 minutes ago, toon25 said:

As a hypothetical, Wilson just on pure finishing and leadership. But, he's 33 so it would probably have been one last hurrah for him next year in any case.

On the other hand, if roles were reversed and DCL was guaranteed to stay fit for the season, you'd pick him instead for sure.

As it stands, you'd guess there's more chance they're both out for a decent or equal amount of time.

But at least if DCL has a good fairly injury free season, there's more chance of then wanting to keep him, or being able to move him on with willing buyers. With Wilson, sadly, his race looks run - and a damn good one it's been.

The graphic I saw was DCL only missed 26days over those 2 injury seasons with muscle issues, the big misses were Knee and broken toe.

Wilson were mainly muscular

Edited by madras

We need 3 strikers in the squad. Doesn't look like we have any coming through the youth system (makes me wonder why we didn't prioritize that more so far)

Pretty sure Wilson will be off if DCL comes in, neither will want regualar bench time. I think we will then look to sign a young striker with higher potential than DCL that will be happier in the first year being eased in. 

I'm not against that with Wilson going, as much as I love Callum. 

29 minutes ago, toontownman said:

We need 3 strikers in the squad. Doesn't look like we have any coming through the youth system (makes me wonder why we didn't prioritize that more so far)

Pretty sure Wilson will be off if DCL comes in, neither will want regualar bench time. I think we will then look to sign a young striker with higher potential than DCL that will be happier in the first year being eased in. 

I'm not against that with Wilson going, as much as I love Callum. 

With one up top, 2 strikers is enough. Look at city they only have 2, Arsenal 2 if you include Eddie, Liverpool have 2 that can play in the 9 role.

I think we have enough options if both were injured for a short period, either Gordon or Big Joe.

Ideally the new RW will be able to play a bit part role as the 9 if required

2 minutes ago, Holloway said:

Have absolutely no confidence in Gordon playing as a striker 

Why? His movement in the box is as good as anyone in the squad.

If DCL was available for £10m and we were bringing him in as a second striker option I’d have no problem with it giving our non-European football status. But paying a hefty chunk of our transfer budget for him seems unwise, especially as we only have one winger capable of providing any service for him.

9 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

If DCL was available for £10m and we were bringing him in as a second striker option I’d have no problem with it giving our non-European football status. But paying a hefty chunk of our transfer budget for him seems unwise, especially as we only have one winger capable of providing any service for him.

What would you class as a ‘hefty chunk’?

Is £15m ok? £20m?

English, an international centre forward, aged 27, with years of Premier League experience.  Anything under £50m is a steal. With the injuries (arguably) and one year left on his contract, anything under £30m would be a very very good deal.

1 minute ago, Bimpy474 said:

English, an international centre forward, aged 27, with years of Premier League experience.  Anything under £50m is a steal. With the injuries (arguably) and one year left on his contract, anything under £30m would be a very very good deal.

I'm broadly with you but if we were dropping £49m on DCL I'd raise an eyebrow. :lol:

Anything up to 30 I'd say cos he isn't prolific, has fitness doubts and his contract is on the wane. Much beyond that and I'm wondering what the scouting network is getting paid for...

35 minutes ago, SteV said:

What would you class as a ‘hefty chunk’?

Is £15m ok? £20m?

The only figure I’ve seen mentioned so far is £37m, which is most likely (and hopefully) bollocks. But I’d say anywhere up to £20m for him as a Wilson replacement would be satisfactory. Any more and I’d rather we shopped elsewhere for someone younger and more dynamic

Didn't realise he was 27, thought he was a few years younger than that 

If he's a fairly cheap Wilson replacement, I'm okay with it, though previously we've always went for younger + people we can add value to after a few years, guess we're after someone who can instantly hit the ground running 

21 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

He hasn’t played for England for years and has 14 goals in his last 3 seasons.