Paul Mitchell (Sporting Director)

7 minutes ago, healthyaddiction said:

Two years older than me, which i THINK means I still have time to become a top class sporting director at a premier league club.

Haha. Used to be dreams of being a footballer, then that aged out. Then managers, boat also missed...now footballing directors! 😂 

Got to keep the dream alive somehow!

Posted (edited)

Little video of him from a few years ago in Monaco. Speaks quite well, but mainly... what a place to train!

Edited by Checko

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

His overall approach and skill set is different to Ashworth, who is/was all about structure and recruiting capable people around him.

Mitchell will work very well with Nickson in identifying and then signing talent and then hopefully very well with Howe on the performance side of things.

But once bitten, twice shy.. we rolled the red carpet out for Ashworth and it didn’t work out, I’m going to be far more cautious about jumping the gun with Mitchell.

Great we have someone but let their work do the talking from here on out.

Depends. His record is very continental and we know Eddie likes his PL proven Brexit Mags.

Edited by Skeletor

15 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

His overall approach and skill set is different to Ashworth, who is/was all about structure and recruiting capable people around him.

Mitchell will work very well with Nickson in identifying and then signing talent and then hopefully very well with Howe on the performance side of things.

But once bitten, twice shy.. we rolled the red carpet out for Ashworth and it didn’t work out, I’m going to be far more cautious about jumping the gun with Mitchell.

Great we have someone but let their work do the talking from here on out.

Most of these directors don't seem to spend more than a 2/3 years in a position anyways. His longest post going on transfer market is 3 year.

Got to get him in get his stuff set up get some good deals in with his contacts and see how it goes. 

41 minutes ago, Bunk Moreland said:

Workaholic just like Howe then. Hope they have a blast in the office.

Looking forward to him identifying gems, including from the French and German markets. The RB network of clubs/ leagues is huge. 

15 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Depends. His record is very continental and we know Eddie likes his PL proven Brexit Mags.

Think this has all the makings of a very good partnership for that reason. Mitchell knows how to work the foreign market, Howe will want PL experience. You don't want a yes man in either position.

Posted (edited)

So Luke saying he was our first choice. So much for Freedman then. 

edit: having read the articles seems Mitchell was first reluctant to come to us and Palace offered Freedman a massive pay rise. Seems we tried for Mitchell first, he wasn’t sure, we went for Freedman who deliberated before Palace threw all the gold his way then we went back for PM and he said yes. 

Edited by Joelinton7

Very happy with the appointment. From the little bits I know of the current crop he seemed the most attractive choice with a wide range of experience covering different markets. My second choice was the Brentford lad with being a Newcastle fan so thought in this position the assumed loyalty would help build a strong long term relationship with the club and EH.

Had a feeling as I’ve mentioned before we were waiting for someone to maybe drift out of a contract period so not having to wait around for them. Either that or just perfect timing.

Hope he does a great job and can work well with EH & co. This window probably a bit soon to judge him though.

In fairness to Luke Edwards I think he did say while back that Mitchell was top of the list. Seems odd that he never really followed up with that info though.

Also, not that I think we were in for any of them but you'd imagine that makes any Monaco player totally off limits for us at least for this summer transfer window anyway.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Joelinton7 said:

So Luke saying he was our first choice. So much for Freedman then. 

No that was just Crackcliffe saying "Free my man"

1054102.jpg

Edited by Skeletor

11 minutes ago, TRon said:

Think this has all the makings of a very good partnership for that reason. Mitchell knows how to work the foreign market, Howe will want PL experience. You don't want a yes man in either position.

I do hope it means we do more shopping abroad. We definitely don't do it enough.