Paul Mitchell (Sporting Director)

3 minutes ago, Elma said:

According to Wikipedia he also took Alan Smith to MK Dons from us - we're all allowed a few mistakes. 😂

Tbf seems like he might be a fan!

3 hours ago, r0cafella said:

Without a doubt. The whole financial hole thing is odd as they would have known the issue for a year prior. 

I think so to, they constrantly talked about compliance from day 1.  Alternative view might be that they wanted to show breakeven or even a profit so we can spend this summer.  We have lost a few wages too at the end of last season, so going into the new financial year, it would not suprise me if we ended the year (and 3 year period) in pretty good shape.

Either way. Its had to question or doubt the board, they have been spot on so far.

Oh, and great appointment !!

Spurs fans are absolutely raving about him - lovely to see!

So we end up getting circa £12m for Ratsworth and this fella for nothing - genius [emoji38]

2 hours ago, Checko said:

Little video of him from a few years ago in Monaco. Speaks quite well, but mainly... what a place to train!

Might be only me who see this but he's got a little Alan Shearer thing going on.

Like with Ashworth, I find it hard to get excited about any directorial appointment tbh. I'm sure the guy is good, but it seems to me like these people are often credited with work that they aren't necessarily directly involved in, especially when it comes to player identification and recruitment.  

Like I say, I'm sure he's competent, but the coverage this kind of appointment gets is always odd to me :dontknow:

8 minutes ago, Andy said:

Like with Ashworth, I find it hard to get excited about any directorial appointment tbh. I'm sure the guy is good, but it seems to me like these people are often credited with work that they aren't necessarily directly involved in, especially when it comes to player identification and recruitment.  

Like I say, I'm sure he's competent, but the coverage this kind of appointment gets is always odd to me :dontknow:

Yep, I find the whole furore a bit odd. His influence on how we do over the next 5/6 years will be less than Jason Tindall's influence tbh.

10 minutes ago, Andy said:

Agreed.

V. glad he's in.

But he's getting credit for signing the likes of Delle Alli... even we were in for Delle Alli. I'm sure someone else identifies most players too.

But aye - seems to know what he's doing. Glad he's in.

Never been a sporting director before has he? Or has he?

Again, I don't know who to give the credit to at Brighton. BUt Brighton kept a great handle of wages and when to sell players. Does Ashworth get credit for that? The Owner?

Fuck me it didn't take the experts tlong o tell us we are getting excited over nothing! The club are trying to move forward yet people still think Ashley is still here! You need people like this at the club as his remit will all encompassing and his knowledge has to be to our advantage? 

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Paully said:

Good thread this 

FWIW re Alli. Alderweireld and Son obviously huge hits. The others, less so. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/aug/09/tottenham-head-of-recruitment-paul-mitchell-quits-nightmare

On Mitchell’s watch the club have signed eight senior players, with the latest being Victor Wanyama and Vincent Janssen this summer. The stand-out successes have been Toby Alderweireld and Dele Alli but the latter was pushed by David Pleat, the club’s former manager, who continues to act as a part-time consultant to Levy. 

Edited by Jagten

4 minutes ago, Heyzeus scrogg said:

After Monaco I can see him settling in down at St Peters marina with its chilled out European vibes. 

Nah………….Knotts Flats in North Shields with those panoramic views of the mouth of the Tyne.

24 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Agreed.

V. glad he's in.

But he's getting credit for signing the likes of Delle Alli... even we were in for Delle Alli. I'm sure someone else identifies most players too.

But aye - seems to know what he's doing. Glad he's in.

Never been a sporting director before has he? Or has he?

Again, I don't know who to give the credit to at Brighton. BUt Brighton kept a great handle of wages and when to sell players. Does Ashworth get credit for that? The Owner?

It’s more to do with having a structure and people in places that are competent in what they do - Mitchell is another welcome addition to this ever growing list - all clubs that have ambition must get this part right as well as things on the pitch - generally these go hand in hand 

12 minutes ago, Bondedcrown said:

Fuck me it didn't take the experts tlong o tell us we are getting excited over nothing! The club are trying to move forward yet people still think Ashley is still here! You need people like this at the club as his remit will all encompassing and his knowledge has to be to our advantage? 

Personally I’m excited by this appointment. Another piece of the puzzle put in place. Happy daze. The future’s bright, the future’s black and white.