Final: England 1-2 Spain

Disco

Just now, Ellis H said:

Sad to say but yet again you can’t actually sack Southgate after this. It’s too idealistic to sack him based on performances when the results show we lost one game (the final) and even that was in the last minute. He’ll get the World Cup if he wants it.

They CAN and MUST sack him.

The biggest black mark for me with Southgate is he was scared to drop big name players.

Kane was clearly not fit for last few games and then he tried to keep shoe horning foden and Bellingham.

4 minutes ago, Aiston said:

He is at fault. Didn't learn anything about the team all tournament and reacted to everything hoping for individual magic, how can he start Kane when he's been awful.

We lost because we sat back again and just started hoofing the ball back to Spain, which Southgate didn't change anything about.

He's bottled a WC semi, Euro Final and was shit tonight as well.

The criticism is right where it deserves to be.

:clap::clap::clap:

Just now, Klaus said:

:serious: he had some good touches at times but was a passenger for the most part imo.

He was being played left-wing, like, can’t have featured there too many times surely?

I feel very disappointed now, like. It's just such a sad ending (presumably) for a manager that has - contrary to 90% of critique - done a brilliant job with the national team. But despite that, I completely accept that he's very much accountable for us probably underachieving in this tournament.

We played well for two halves only and jammied our way through, but still - with 15 minutes left in the whole competition - the trophy was there for us. We surrendered that opportunity in the most miserable way. 

2 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Bellingham had a great game tonight I thought. Retained the ball so well through their press

I thought he was fucking tripe :lol:

Just now, Klaus said:

:serious: he had some good touches at times but was a passenger for the most part imo.

I didn't see it that way at all. Lost count of the times he managed to hold onto the ball under pressure and get it to another England player. Not to mention the layoff for Palmer 

Just now, El Prontonise said:

The biggest black mark for me with Southgate is he was scared to drop big name players.

Kane was clearly not fit for last few games and then he tried to keep shoe horning foden and Bellingham.

Dont use the word black you'll be outed as a racist 

@SAK ;)

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

You're basically making the point I am. Spain weren't that good, we should have been better.

Spain were brilliant.  If you can't see that then .......

I said Southgate should have gone after the last Euros. We’ve gone backwards since then and it’s definitely time to step aside now.

2 years to the WC and we need a fresh approach so that we don’t waste the younger talent in the squad.

Kane, Walker, Trips, Stones and Shaw (maybe) have run their races or will block a progression for the next 2 tournaments.

We need a manager who will drop the front 3 behind Kane and operate with a pool of 4 or 5 players who rotate in based on freshness and opposition. We also need to avoid a repeat of a Kane where we have a number 9 who plays every minute of every game apart from meaningless friendlies. We need variety in the attack.

Just now, Rod said:

They weren't but they were the better team on the day and the best team in the tournament.

I read somewhere years ago that when Southgate got the job he studied recent tournaments, and concluded that the successful sides were those which played it safe, kept it tight, and ground their way to the trophy. So that's what he set out to do.

Wonder if he'll ever reconsider.

8 minutes ago, Numbers said:

Fuck off sucking Southgates hoop, hes brought nowt, we've done well in spite of him. Imagine what we could have done with a manager that had balls.

From the outside, it is very funny to see the disconnect between Southgate's accomplishments and the way you English people talk about him.:lol:I've watched this team my whole life, and generally, they rarely play cohesive football and generally are not particularly good. Missing tournaments and crashing out early are nothing new to England, despite generally having strong talent. I understand some of the annoyance; I can see the football being played, but Southgate has turned England into consistently one of the best teams in the world with results better than any nation in same time frame. This was not case when he inherited the team. His time has passed at this point, anyway.

2 minutes ago, Rod said:

We helped that mind, hoofing the ball to them every chance we could.

1 minute ago, madras said:

They weren't but they were the better team on the day and the best team in the tournament.

Didnt need to get out of 3rd gear today in a massively underwhelming tournament.

Any suggestions that they are a great team needs to look at the performances of the other countries first. They could be very good but for me and right now ive no idea.

6 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

Perez in his trainers lol 

But 5 current and ex Newcastle players in a euro final.

Wonder if there was any transfer clauses that we would get some money from lol 

Six.

3 for each side