Final: England 1-2 Spain

Disco

Hear me out, I don't think Spain are anywhere near good enough to have won the tournament, so I think that a team that weren't as good should have won.

Italy was hard but I never believed, this was hard because it felt inevitable that we would win. I don't think Spain deserved it and I don't mean that as sour Grapes, although I'm bitter, I just don't think they were that good. Imagine them (or us tbf) against Spain 2012, France 2000, arguably even Germany 1996.

I've stuck up for Southgate to the enth degree, take it with a pile of salt, but we lost that imo. I was convinced we'd win that and it does sting.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Gareth Woke Safegate will continue to be England manager as long as he wants if he keeps getting you to finals no matter how uninspiring and boring it is. Unfortunately. For you.

Can always pray for a disasterous start to the season for Ten Hag and Jimmy offering him money he simply can't turn down at Man Utd.

On 10/07/2024 at 22:10, Skeletor said:

I just can't tolerate Kane stinking the joint up in the final. The only time we won a tournament is when Jimmy Greaves was dropped for Geoff Hurst.

sad-tupac-sigh-aa3kmvfqcuw6lyx2.gif

3 minutes ago, ikri said:

That loss was 100% on Southgate.  Same shit he's done in every game, sit back, defend, look for a bit of brilliance and as soon as the momentum starts to go England's way, instead of pushing on and attacking England get more conservative.

The real annoyance of it all is that with Ten Hag keeping his job, Southgate won't get the chance to apply his brilliant tactics at Man Utd.

Southgate’s stock will have actually risen after this tournament, as mad as that sounds. Don’t be surprised if Manure come calling around October/November time if Ten Hag continues to be shit in the league.

You can't keep relying on "moments" to win you tournaments. 

I think what was most frustrating with watching England there though is it felt like Spain were on the ropes after Palmer's goal, then we just dropped off completely, I don't believe for one moment it isn't instructional at this point as it happens time and time again. You can get away with that against teams like Slovakia and Switzerland to an extent, but teams with absolutely quality like Spain will punish you as they did tonight.

Best team won the tournament ultimately. 

Just now, Beren said:

England are so amazingly talented, but Southgate has restricted them to two finals.

The paucity of any modicum of success in the preceding years means the fans have felt grateful for it. He's Martinez'd Englnad. He's literally made good decisions exclusively when forced into it :lol::lol:

At least this golden generation is still young, if the FA has any nous about them.

Yep.  It’s been the problem from day one - the assumption that previous tournament performances by entirely different players mean that this is outperforming the mean.  

1 minute ago, leffe186 said:

There was context when he posted it but then loads more posts came up :lol:

1 minute ago, madras said:

Come on, sometimes it's really obvious.

I not attacking him to be clear. Just leaves him open to trouble is all. 

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

Aye, it’s quite nice that the best team to watch wins a trophy. Hopefully pushes more teams towards that style of play.

I just wish they weren’t such cunts :lol:. Also that refs added proper time on for people fucking about. Took them three or four minutes to celebrate the goal and took Morata about 20 mins to get off the pitch…that’s before we get to the other goals and subs and rolling about.

Just now, Yorkie said:

I'm gutted for Southgate because I think very highly of him but, let's face it, we got to the final playing the most unsustainable style of football. It's not remotely surprising that it finally came undone against a team with such attacking talent. 

To be fair, it took a late goal. They didn't get run off the pitch.

All the flak Cucurella gets and he's played a blinder in the final and delivered that killer ball late on to win it ...

That's pretty wild man.

Actually thought he'd be a weak point against Saka today and all. Fair play.