Malick Thiaw

James

9 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Did you watch much of him last season ?

Yes. I am Italian and I know well Serie A. The pair Thiaw Tomori was terrible last season. And now Milan is buying Pavlocic to replace at least one of them.

2 minutes ago, jigen said:

Yes. I am Italian and I know well Serie A. The pair Thiaw Tomori was terrible last season. And now Milan is buying Pavlocic to replace at least one of them.

Potential is there in Thiaw though. He's still young.

I think some of our business is buying young and rough around the edges and hoping Howe can work his magic on them (see Anthony Gordon).

1 minute ago, Fak said:

Potential is there in Thiaw though. He's still young.

I think some of our business is buying young and rough around the edges and hoping Howe can work his magic on them (see Anthony Gordon).

People saying exactly the same about him as they did about Gordon - actually makes me feel better about him as a target. Trust our scouting and also have to keep in mind that by all accounts he was playing in a system that doesn't suit him last season according to Milan fans.

4 minutes ago, jigen said:

Our team looks for the raw materials. Some of our best signings were coming off poor form or poor seasons. If players like Gordon and Isak were playing at their best they would have been out of reach for us.

From England: Newcastle close in on Thiaw

With the imminent arrival of Pavlovic , Milan is also preparing to make an outgoing operation. According to reports from England, Newcastle United is close to closing the deal for Malick Thiaw . In recent days, talks between the British club and Thiaw's entourage have continued, as have negotiations between the two clubs. The total cost - it is reported - would be 35 million pounds, bonuses included.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

From England: Newcastle close in on Thiaw

With the imminent arrival of Pavlovic , Milan is also preparing to make an outgoing operation. According to reports from England, Newcastle United is close to closing the deal for Malick Thiaw . In recent days, talks between the British club and Thiaw's entourage have continued, as have negotiations between the two clubs. The total cost - it is reported - would be 35 million pounds, bonuses included.

Reads like they're basing their article off HITC's.

10 minutes ago, jigen said:

He got injured in November and was out injured till late February then only started 7 league games since then. Quite the stretch to say he was terrible because actually in those 7 league games he often got over a 7.0 rating if you take any stock in such things 

but I’ve said it before you say a lot of players linked with Newcastle as not very good notably Bowen & David and you just kept recommending Cherki over and over again as such your opinion. Doesn’t hold much weight with me :lol:

9 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

Our team looks for the raw materials. Some of our best signings were coming off poor form or poor seasons. If players like Gordon and Isak were playing at their best they would have been out of reach for us.

It's a smart strategy that has worked really well for us, and hope it continues.

Buying the guys getting hyped all over the media usually means a ton of competition for them, large fees and large salaries.

We need to continue being smart in the market.

Once again we are in that £35 million range for a player, that has been really good for us, and it is really not that expensive nowadays.

41 minutes ago, jigen said:

35m for Thiaw after his last season is a total madness. 

I doubt it's going to be that much. The Italian journalist who was on the Loaded podcast yesterday was saying he would be happy to take £15-20m based on his recovery pace not being great when Milan pressed high.

Just now, TRon said:

I doubt it's going to be that much. The Italian journalist who was on the Loaded podcast yesterday was saying he would be happy to take £15-20m based on his recovery pace not being great when Milan pressed high.

tumblr_m3ey1bbbau1rv91x9o2_500.gif

1 minute ago, TRon said:

This is a fair price. And also the scouting of Thiaw: he isn't a bad player but he lacks acceleration and speed in the change of direction. As I had already wrote... But nobody here belevied me. 

6 minutes ago, TRon said:

And so based on this Botman should have only been £15-20m because of his recovery pace? Or perhaps even cheaper since he is even slower?

For some reason it seems like all our central defensive links - for years now - tend to be on the slower side. Do we just not rank speed that highly in our list of needs? Preferring reading of the game and reach etc.

Think CB pace is slightly overrated TBH. In a well-organised team you really shouldn't be finding CBs isolated and exposed running back to their own goal. 

Of course it's nice to have and ideally we would. 

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Preferring height

Inclined to think it's a clear design choice rather than a mistaken oversight at this point.

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Preferring height

Starting to think the head of our centerback scouting is a lass.

You could buy Maxence Lacroix. Very good defender, physical and good speed, has only 1 year left in his contract and you can buy him for cheap. And for sure he is better suited to play alongside Botman than Thiaw. 

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

Starting to think the head of our centerback scouting is a lass.

They're all canny dishy as well tbf.

3 minutes ago, 80 said:

For some reason it seems like all our central defensive links - for years now - tend to be on the slower side. Do we just not rank speed that highly in our list of needs? Preferring reading of the game and reach etc.

1 minute ago, 80 said:

Inclined to think it's a clear design choice rather than a mistaken oversight at this point.

It was part of the reason we brought in Pope as a sweeper keeper that is really good coming out and sits higher up the pitch as a starting point to protect against balls in behind.

They tend to favour big powerful centre backs that are aggressive, to push up and support our pressing.

It's really just out wide we have got exploited with speed from faster wingers taking on Dan Burn, but with the options we have now, he won't need to ever be used there anymore, hopefully.