Will Osula

• 2 weeks later...

Looked alright I thought. Very in and out of the game. But then so are Isak and Wilson when they play. We don’t get decent service into our striker at all. 

Decent pace and feet in tight areas. But his touch looked heavy at other times. 

Thought he looked quite sharp, his runs in behind looked dangerous. Nice lay off to Gordon, hard to judge against this opposition but he’s got a lot of good attributes. Feels like that height, pace, strength and technical ability would struggle not to be a success

1 minute ago, Newcastle Fan said:

He looked both good and a bit raw, he really worked his socks off tonight but his technical ability when it comes to linking up the play or threatening their goal seems to be lacking.

Think it was others around him lacking. When they used him he was useful. 

Thought he was being a bit too disciplined in the first half and just waiting for his moment. Looked better when he started playing quicker and with more intensity towards the end. 

Always going to be difficult against 10 men camped behind the ball. 

There were so many moments where he angled his run and it just needed a ball playing but it never came, the biggest culprit was Kelly, who just wouldn't play that ball, even Schar and Bruno hesitated a few times. I felt sorry for him, understand the hesitation against elite level opposition but surely against a League 2 side those are the kind of passes worth playing 

A combination of a young man learning his game and a team not playing to his (potential) strengths tonight.

So many times he could have showed to feet and the layoff to midfield to play the through ball would have been on.

Assume this was tactical and he was instructed to look to go beyond.

And as others have said, no urgency to play him in behind when he did make the run.

Disclaimer that we've not really got Isak into games this season either.

Looks like he's got something though.

Edited by Kilcline
Fully formed thought

1 hour ago, Kilcline said:

A combination of a young man learning his game and a team not playing to his (potential) strengths tonight.

So many times he could have showed to feet and the layoff to midfield to play the through ball would have been on.

Assume this was tactical and he was instructed to look to go beyond.

And as others have said, no urgency to play him in behind when he did make the run.

Disclaimer that we've not really got Isak into games this season either.

Looks like he's got something though.

Don’t think we have anyone with the ability to see those passes unfortunately, add to the fact Isak has been isolated all season the poor kid had no chance tonight.

Think we've got a really good player here.

Didn't really get chance to show too much but whenever he was active he was really positive and seemed to have that natural instinct to drive towards the goal. A lot of strikers nowadays are quite passive. 

Loved that little moved where Bruno (I think) played him through and he rolled his defender and got a left footed shot away. Really showed his speed of thought and intelligence.

1 minute ago, Thumbheed said:

Think we've got a really good player here.

Didn't really get chance to show too much but whenever he was active he was really positive and seemed to have that natural instinct to drive towards the goal. A lot of strikers nowadays are quite passive. 

Loved that little moved where Bruno (I think) played him through and he rolled his defender and got a left footed shot away. Really showed his speed of thought and intelligence.

The problem is, he’s 21 and still very raw. He’s obviously going to spend most of this season rooted to the bench as well. 

Next season we will be left with a choice of letting him be number 2 or buying someone else to do that job which would obviously put pay to any sort of hopes of developing. 

It's one game . Where the vast majority of the players that played looked poor and in 1st gear . We've seen games where Isak can look completely isolated with little to no service so even more difficult for an inexperienced player to make an impression. Showed for the ball and did a nice little turn to get in at one point. There's enough there to encouraged by the potential. 

With his pace and those runs in behind, I think he could be very useful to turn defenders with the right through balls being played to him.

If Wimbledon had tried to come forward a bit to push for an equaliser, he'd have been a danger to them given a bit of space to run into.

Definitely looks like he's got something in time, and once the rest of the team is firing.

1 hour ago, r0cafella said:

The problem is, he’s 21 and still very raw. He’s obviously going to spend most of this season rooted to the bench as well. 

Next season we will be left with a choice of letting him be number 2 or buying someone else to do that job which would obviously put pay to any sort of hopes of developing. 

I think Howe will take every chance he's got to develop him tbh. 

As for rawness, can't say I've seen anything which qualifies that barring the fact we've not had a chance to see his finishing but from what I saw last night, for the most part it was because he was 2-3 steps ahead of his teammates who rarely released the ball quick enough.