Marc Guehi

gdm

8 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Actually agree about the Euros, he wasn't that good. But I've seen Palace games where he's looked streets ahead of their level. 

We will see how much he ends up costing. 

Yes early days in negotiations and ultimately not my money but saying he’s too good for the Palace defensive unit not really a big enough endorsement for me. Don’t want to be negative but was never happy when linked with him in the past. He was a mess when we beat them 4-0 and like I say shaky in Euros and was lucky to escape not giving 3 goals away.

Pros are age, no language barrier and he knows the league.

Cons he’s not as good as Man City, Arsenal or Liverpool CHs which for £60-70m you’d be hoping he was close.

Main thing is EH & PM want him. 

Just now, KaKa said:

Easy to look back through the England threads on here or even Google it.

Guehi was the one getting all the plaudits.

I know, he was better in earlier games, but overall Stones edged it for me, especially during knockouts (Konsa filling in notwithstanding). Think it was close enough though and would be hype for Guehi coming here unless we're spaffing all the wedge on him.

6 minutes ago, GEFAFWISP said:

Stones.

I was really disappointed in Stones tbh, he spent a lot of the games just looking for that short pass into midfield and Mainoo or whoever was meant to be there was nowhere to be seen as Declan does his now traditional role of making sure there's an opposing player between him and the ball. Cue lots of gesticulation from stones and just passing it sideways rather than trying a more direct ball out to the flanks where Trippier was often screaming for it on the diagonal. 

Edited by HawK

Just now, The College Dropout said:

For whatever he’ll cost - I think we could do better. 

Margot Robbie could turn up at your doorstep and you would reject here because of her US nipple gardens were too big (only joking mate)

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Who do you prefer to him as an example?

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

This is probably true, but I don't really care if we're getting a player we rate at a price we're happy to do. 

1 minute ago, Ketsbaia said:

This would be insane. Wow.

So the Tosin (free) + expensive RW plan might now be expensive Guehi + keeping Almiron?

Hope not, pretty shit if our budget is 60m ffs.

Edited by Alberto2005

Just now, HawK said:

I was really disappointed in Stones tbh, he spent a lot of the games just looking for that short pass into midfield and Mainoo or whoever was meant to be there was nowhere to be seen as Declan does his now traditional role of making sure there's an opposing player between him and the ball. Queue lots of gesticulation from stones and just passing it sideways rather than trying a more direct ball out to the flanks where Trippier was often screaming for it on the diagonal. 

He does have a weird, functionally useless algorithm where he traps the ball with the bottom of his foot, feigns to go forward then passes sideways and backpedals to create angle/space for receiver who inevitably passes it back to him as there's no options on, I mean plenty do it but the way he traps and backpedals is uniquely shit.

Looking good for a Monday triple signing photo Ops in the new swap kit flash back, him the young lad from Sheffield and a mystery right winger!

Chelsea don't need anymore CBs.

Arsenal don't need anymore CBs.

Man City don't need anymore CBs.

Man United might do depending how serious that injury to their new kid is but cant see them spending again in that position.

Liverpool maybe, but Guehi wouldn't get in ahead of Van Dijk and Konate so he'd be foolish to go there.

Spurs maybe, but again they have two CBs in Van De Ven and Romero who will expect to be first choice and then Dragusin as back up. 

Villa would the one who could do with a CB if Diego Carlos leaves as it seems he may well do and I'd not be shocked if they were to go in for Guehi if they have the funds to do so.

You'd imagine that puts us, right now, in pole position for him but things change quick and all it takes is Van Dijk, Maguire or one of the City CBs to get a big move to Saudi and then he'd be offered UCL football and a bigger wage no doubt. That would make it much harder.

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

He was better than Stones in the euros tbf. Didn’t think either were convincing.  

Undoubtedly a good player. 

Jusg never been sold on him personally. 

I disagree. Thought Stones was our best defender in the tournament.

I agree with your other points. Not a big fan and like you say not great in the air.

Feels like a leak also. Ornstein normally announces the deal much further down the line. Even the wording hints of a sales pitch.

8 minutes ago, HawK said:

I think he'd be a great signing, but the PSR stuff is really making it hard for me to enjoy this at the moment.

I really hope we know what we're doing, if he joins and the window closes and we've got the same options at RW as we do now, I'd be thinking I'd rather have spent that money on a winger. We've got Schar, Kelly, Burn, Krafth to play centre back with Botman and Lascelles to return. If Guehi joins I think we could be looking at some movement in some of those players.

In Mitchell & Howe we trust

Of those you've listed, Schar is getting on and we should be signing his long term replacement about now. Burn is 32 as well. Lascelles will be out for half of this season and is into his final year. Krafth is also into his final year and will presumably play the Paul Dummett emergency cover role this year.

There's only Botman and Kelly who are potential "long term" players for us in the CB position. The movement you allude to probably comes at the end of the season where you'd imagine we definitely shed Lascelles, probably Krafth and then you have Burn and Schar also out of contract. It's a good move to be bringing in some strength at CB and next year you'd imagine we add another young one, unless the academy can come up trumps for us.

Just now, GEFAFWISP said:

He does have a weird, functionally useless algorithm where he traps the ball with the bottom of his foot, feigns to go forward then passes sideways and backpedals to create angle/space for receiver who inevitably passes it back to him as there's no options on, I mean plenty do it but the way he traps and backpedals is uniquely shit.

I hadn't noticed that, you'd think such a thing would be quickly worked on by Pep to keep up the speed of play. I hadn't noticed this dallying before this tournament, it's like he was rigidly sticking to tactical instruction despite it obviously not working.

Just now, MagMal said:

Looking good for a Monday triple signing photo Ops in the new swap kit flash back, him the young lad from Sheffield and a mystery right winger!

With the mystery Right winger wearing a mask so no-one knows who it is until he comes on the pitch V Southampton. Proper Roy of the Rovers style