Marc Guehi

gdm

3 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

£50m itself is an incredible fee for him imo. There’s no doubting his ability but he’s nowhere near a £70m player.

But what does it even mean? Maguire was 80m and very highly rated when he signed for Manchester United, it turned out to be a trash transfer but that doesn’t negate that he was very very good for Leicester before that.

We could spend 40m on Guehi and it turn out to be a massive waste of money.

But that’s essentially what we’re buying.. Maguire at Leicester potential (albeit he’s got more pace, but nowhere near as good in the air)

If it’s 65m and he turns out to the final piece of the jigsaw, that could end up looking cheap. There’s no way of knowing until he’s actually here and had a chance to contribute.

11 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Quite a few Palace fans keen to cash in at our latest offer. It's an enormous offer for a CB.

I'm still in the it happens camp. Maybe huffing copium but I'd rather be positive and wrong.

18 minutes ago, Pixelphish said:

I'm still in the it happens camp. Maybe huffing copium but I'd rather be positive and wrong.

For me, if it happens great, if it doesn’t I’ll not lose sleep over it. We have people in place who know what they’re doing, I’m happy to leave it to them.

Edited by FloydianMag

9 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

But what does it even mean? Maguire was 80m and very highly rated when he signed for Manchester United, it turned out to be a trash transfer but that doesn’t negate that he was very very good for Leicester before that.

We could spend 40m on Guehi and it turn out to be a massive waste of money.

But that’s essentially what we’re buying.. Maguire at Leicester potential (albeit he’s got more pace, but nowhere near as good in the air)

If it’s 65m and he turns out to the final piece of the jigsaw, that could end up looking cheap. There’s no way of knowing until he’s actually here and had a chance to contribute.

Maguire's fee is hardly some sort of benchmark. It was laughable at the time. Just yet another example of Man Utd massively overpaying for a player. 

1 minute ago, Cf said:

Maguire's fee is hardly some sort of benchmark. It was laughable at the time. Just yet another example of Man Utd massively overpaying for a player. 

Oh they got rinsed but at the time I don’t remember much mockery at the fee, more so a resignation that we’d never be able to compete for transfers like that.

All I remember was (roughly within the same time frame)

Maguire - 80m - dud

VVD - 75m - transformative

I’m guessing Guehi might be somewhere in between

Between transformative and dud? Well you'd hope so. Between 75-80m you'd hope not, nobody is buying him for that much and Palace will just end up losing him for nowt.

I can absolutely see us losing one of our elites next summer if this is the way the transfer window is going to be moving forward. Unless of course this Man City thing comes off and we're able to join in with the shenanigans.

24 minutes ago, Pixelphish said:

I'm in the same camp. Should we have a poll? :lol:

18 minutes ago, Cf said:

I think it's becoming harder and harder to establish a useful benchmark.

Between inflation and PSR, transfer fees are all over the place, and the scope of 'value' is so much wider now. When £20-30million was the very upper limit to transfer fees, it was easy to differentiate a £3m player from an £8m player or a £10m player from a £15m player. But these days - when the baseline is always in the tens of millions - a difference of five is almost impossible to interpret.

Previous generations to me would probably say the same about the front end of my example, because transfer fees have consistently inflated over the decades. But I do wonder if it's ever been quite this difficult to define talent by a transfer fee. 

If we can afford to pay £70m for him and the bosses consider it to be worth it, then my instinct is to back that call; however, I'd be concerned about us being held to ransom. 

25 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Oh they got rinsed but at the time I don’t remember much mockery at the fee, more so a resignation that we’d never be able to compete for transfers like that.

All I remember was (roughly within the same time frame)

Maguire - 80m - dud

VVD - 75m - transformative

I’m guessing Guehi might be somewhere in between

There was quite a bit on Maguire, while nobody thought it was a bad transfer to do or that he’d fail, at the time the fee was considered massively inflated. 

Had they paid 50m it would probably have been seen as reasonable, in hindsight that would  still have been terrible value 

From OED.com

Where does the noun pursuement come from?

Earliest known use, early 1600s.

The earliest known use of the noun pursuement is in the early 1600s.