Marc Guehi

gdm

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

That's very unprofessional though, no?

I wouldn’t want him to go down that route Palace have obviously been a good club for him and his development. Always sad to see a player burn his bridges.

I said this a while back, but I don't mind this transfer strategy. We've already done a lot of the groundwork that other clubs will need to do and we'll return for Guehi in the future when he'll be valued nowhere near 65 million.

9 minutes ago, Andy84 said:

Like I’ve said before it’s hugely beneficial for Palace to leak every bid to their sympathetic southern journo’s. Cracking PR for them, seems they have no intention to really sell

My only gripe with this saga and Parish's interview was slightly annoying, but I get it, they're protecting an asset.

The timeline for Freedman decision and now this makes the conspiracy theorist in me think that Palace are happy to disrupt us for as long as possible. 

Reading the Telegraph article in full it reads like a Crystal Palace PR piece.

Crystal Palace consider the potential transfer of their captain Marc Guehi to Newcastle United no closer with the Saudi-owned club still short of the valuation that the Palace ownership place on the England international.

Palace have been clear from the start that Newcastle need to hit a certain price with add-ons that are achievable for the deal to be considered – and currently Newcastle have not reached that. While neither side has ever been explicit about Palace’s price, it is thought to be in excess of £70 million.

The Palace investors who own the club are in agreement that there is no requirement to sell this summer and Guehi’s value – as a 24-year-old first choice England centre-back – is only likely to rise. Newcastle are reported to have offered £65 million. Guehi is a priority for them and a chance for new director of football Paul Mitchell to show his mettle by concluding the deal.

The player himself, who joined from Chelsea for around £18 million in 2021, is philosophical about how his future might play out and will be available to play in the season opener against Brentford on Sunday. While Newcastle have qualified for the Champions League once under the Saudi-consortium led ownership, qualifying for that competition every year is by no means certain – and pegging add-ons to that eventuality would not be attractive in a deal.

Palace view Guehi as being the kind of player that comes along very rarely. A young centre-half with perhaps another decade at the top level, and already a tournament final veteran with England. That level of player represents, in Palace’s view, the kind of big investment which others have been prepared to make in the past.

There is a strong possibility that there will be even greater competition for Guehi come January when it is likely that more habitually successful clubs than Newcastle are also making long-term decisions about budget and squad planning. The Palace manager Oliver Glasner joked that there had been no activity in his bank account to suggest that Guehi would be leaving.

“Marc trained today and we talked together,” Glasner said. On the question of whether a deal was imminent he told Sky Sports, “I will have to look at my bank account if something came in! But it doesn’t look like it so we have to plan with Marc. He is our player and our captain and I can’t tell you anything else.”

Steve Parish, the Palace chairman earlier in the week said it would take “superstar money” for Newcastle or any other club to sign Guehi.

Earlier in the day, the manager Eddie Howe said Newcastle might abandon the deal: “There are also times where we have to go, ‘OK, that’s too much’, and we’ve done that plenty of times in the last 2½ years. People might not have found out about that, but we’ve had to switch targets. It depends on the deal and the amount of money that you’re going to spend.”

Just speculating, but perhaps the bit in bold is the problem. Maybe the overall price isn't the issue, it's how achievable the add-ons are.

Will be disappointed if we go back in, far too much time wasted on this already. It was clear from Parish's interview that Palace aren't willing sellers. 

Just now, Andy said:

Will be disappointed if we go back in, far too much time wasted on this already. It was clear from Parish's interview that Palace aren't willing sellers. 

You don't get to a 4th bid, and the level of confidence that we've had about it, without them being willing sellers.

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

There’s not a world where he’s worth £70m + with two years left on his contract 

Think I'm in this camp, I do rate him but this is getting a bit silly now [emoji38] Sounds like they could have an unhappy player on their hands now too. 

Edited by TheHoob