Marc Guehi

gdm

5 minutes ago, CheikBoom said:

Palace bidding for 2x CBs according to Romano this morning.

Link?

Edited by Scoot

28 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Seems anecdotal that statement. In general people tend to gravitate towards people they've worked well with before, and that is usually considered a positive thing. It's kind of odd that you don't mind this for Howe (Wilson, Kelly, etc.) but suddenly when it's a DoF it becomes a problem. I'd love for Mitchell to use his inside knowledge of Monaco's academy to try and poach their best prospects for example.

I’d say it’s less of a problem for a manager because the remit is often different. For a DoF to go to previous club / specific agents, it’s red flags for me. 

7 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Same, he’s a beast and cheaper.

Not sure he’s cheaper apparently £100m release clause someone said  :lol:

It's kind of unfortunate that other clubs knows we bid £60+5m for Guehi. Not saying we shouldn't have just because of that, but it can be used against us now.

Just now, Erikse said:

It's kind of unfortunate that other clubs knows we bid £60+5m for Guehi. Not saying we shouldn't have just because of that, but it can be used against us now.

Did we though ? What I heard was the total would be 65m if all add ons were met, the actual fee is guesswork and hearsay.

21 minutes ago, madras said:

Did we though ? What I heard was the total would be 65m if all add ons were met, the actual fee is guesswork and hearsay.

That's what it said pretty much everywhere, £60m that could become £65m. There are not many things that we can know for certain, might aswell close the transfer thread if that's the standard.

Edited by Erikse

1 hour ago, Shearergol said:

Signing players from abroad is too big a risk though 

Chomp.

Signing players who have already demonstrated their capabilities in the Premier League is obviously less risky than signing players who've never played in the league. 

13 hours ago, midds said:

I know it's easy to say from a distance but I'd have walked away from this whole deal the second that slimy spiv cunt opened his mouth last Tuesday. Huge red flag for me, going full public on a private sale of a player to pacify his own fanbase - fuck that. Move on. There are more CBs in the world other than Marc Guehi. He's very good but he's not worth this amount of hassle, especially considering the wanksplat we're having to negotiate with

With respect, the priority should be whether or not the club get (what they perceive as) value for money on the transfer. Everything else is noise.

For what it's worth, still (as of this morning) I'm told that they're working hard trying to sort the Guehi deal. Still their number 1 choice, player still expecting it to happen soon.

There might very well be truth in us opening talks with Tapsoba too, but the Guehi deal isn't dead.

10 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Chomp.

Signing players who have already demonstrated their capabilities in the Premier League is obviously less risky than signing players who've never played in the league. 

It’s common sense, really. Players are quicker to settle if they’re UK-based and Howe prefers them.

For the most part, we’ve done very well in the market by getting a mix of prem experience and high quality established (not cheap by any means) players from abroad. Why criticize this approach when it’s been fairly successful thus far? 

10 minutes ago, McCormick said:

It’s common sense, really. Players are quicker to settle if they’re UK-based and Howe prefers them.

For the most part, we’ve done very well in the market by getting a mix of prem experience and high quality established (not cheap by any means) players from abroad. Why criticize this approach when it’s been fairly successful thus far? 

We started out getting good players from abroad, but the last 4 windows we have signed PL players only, with the exception of some cheap talents and Tonali. Will be interesting to see how it develops with Mitchell.

Edited by Erikse