Marc Guehi

gdm

11 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Tbf Ashworth is very good at establishing a (I forgot the word he used, which has since become common parlance on this forum) channel* for youth players to break into the first team. He was very successful doing this at Brighton, so I can’t imagine it’ll be much different at Man Utd.

*this isn’t the word and it’s annoying me.

Okay, well we'll see.

I just don't want to hear from any Man Utd fan about the Guehi fee.

We are paying for a young, established Premier League defender that has captained his club, and who has broken into the England team and played a part in them getting to the Euros final. He is expected to come right into the team.

They have paid near the same amount for 'promise' based off one year at Lille in Ligue 1. For a defender that will be third choice behind DeLigt and Martinez to start with. 

I'm happy with our approach and believe it will have a far more immediate impact.

17 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We'd be an RW and a top GK away from having a first XI who'd push the top 2 imo. 

Harsh on Pope imo, don’t think there are many better out there tbh.

13 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

These are the small margins, that's exactly why Arsenal replaced Ramsdale with Raya. 

11 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’d rather have Pope than either of them.

I don’t think that was the point being made.

39 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

He's very good but his lack of ability with his feet and in ball playing is what hampers him from being one of top 3 keepers in the league. Allison is the benchmark. I think Pope is better than Ederson at actual goalkeeping but is nowhere near as good as him with his feet. Having a keeper good with the ball is key to exerting control in the most difficult of matches. But both Liverpool and Manchester City when they signed Allison and Ederson respectively made them both at the time of their signings the most expensive keepers in the world.

We can't afford to spend around £35m+ on a GK atm, we have far more pressing matters in the squad. And finding a keeper as good as Pope but is also good with the ball at his feet will be really tough.

As I’ve said before none of this can be helping matters. First he’s selling to buy Everton. Now he’s trying to buy Palace…

4 minutes ago, LFEE said:

As I’ve said before none of this can be helping matters. First he’s selling to buy Everton. Now he’s trying to buy Palace…

Hasn’t effected them selling other players.

7 minutes ago, LFEE said:

He should wait until we close on Guehi, shave £65mil off the price. :smug:

2 hours ago, KaKa said:

Okay, well we'll see.

I just don't want to hear from any Man Utd fan about the Guehi fee.

We are paying for a young, established Premier League defender that has captained his club, and who has broken into the England team and played a part in them getting to the Euros final. He is expected to come right into the team.

They have paid near the same amount for 'promise' based off one year at Lille in Ligue 1. For a defender that will be third choice behind DeLigt and Martinez to start with. 

I'm happy with our approach and believe it will have a far more immediate impact.

No, I agree with you in all of that; I wasn’t talking about our business dealings at all. I’m largely very happy with our transfer model.

My point was more about Ashworth’s experience and know how in setting up pathways (thanks for the word @Ronson333) for youth players.

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

When do we think this gets agreed then? I'll go with Monday, have a feeling Palace may want a replacement in before they let him go.

Tomorrow I reckon.

15 minutes ago, McCormick said:

No, I agree with you in all of that; I wasn’t talking about our business dealings at all. I’m largely very happy with our transfer model.

My point was more about Ashworth’s experience and know how in setting up pathways (thanks for the word @Ronson333) for youth players.

Ah, I see. Well lets see if he can manage it at Man Utd.

He won't have the luxury of bringing through young players without any pressure of winning games.

And so a lot of things will need to be right to make it work. And it's going to be a whole different set of expectations.

Hope it all goes horribly wrong.

9 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

I think he's a good/very good PL keeper who had an unbelievable 4 month spell which I doubt he'll reach again (hadn't beforehand in his career). Once we've sorted out RCB and RW, then it's the logical next position to upgrade?

48 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I think he's a good/very good PL keeper who had an unbelievable 4 month spell which I doubt he'll reach again (hadn't beforehand in his career). Once we've sorted out RCB and RW, then it's the logical next position to upgrade?

Not for me personally - one game into the season and he’s probably already kept just as many clean sheets that Dubs did all if last season.

2 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Not for me personally - one game into the season and he’s probably already kept just as many clean sheets that Dubs did all if last season.

Unless we're looking at Hall at LB, I don't see the next upgrade after CB & RW without spending £80-100m ourselves?

Also, Dubravka has regressed into a poor keeper, an average keeper would make a big difference let alone Pope. :lol:

Edited by Optimistic Nut