Marc Guehi

gdm

48 minutes ago, vidooq said:

I don't think it's the 5 million holding up the deal. If that was the case, we would've simply added those to the total sum in the shape of easily achievable bonuses over time, and lock this down.

What I do believe is holding up the deal is the structure of the bid. Palace is probably asking for a lump sum payment, or larger portion of the payment upfront, something we might not be able to do, due to cash flow, hence the lengthy ongoing negotiations with Palace.

Even clubs with bigger revenue then us are not able to lock transfers down because of this.

Yeah, that could certainly still be an issue too.

55 minutes ago, vidooq said:

I don't think it's the 5 million holding up the deal. If that was the case, we would've simply added those to the total sum in the shape of easily achievable bonuses over time, and lock this down.

What I do believe is holding up the deal is the structure of the bid. Palace is probably asking for a lump sum payment, or larger portion of the payment upfront, something we might not be able to do, due to cash flow, hence the lengthy ongoing negotiations with Palace.

Even clubs with bigger revenue then us are not able to lock transfers down because of this.

You don’t need the revenue to make a lump sum payment - the owners can make that payment themselves.  If this was the case, then it would mean that the owners are not prepared to inject this sort of money into the club. 

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

You don’t need the revenue to make a lump sum payment - the owners can make that payment themselves.  If this was the case, then it would mean that the owners are not prepared to inject this sort of money into the club. 

I always thought we were cash rich, FFP poor, is there more to it than this? I'd have agreed with you

2 minutes ago, janpawel said:

I always thought we were cash rich, FFP poor, is there more to it than this? I'd have agreed with you

Well, strictly speaking our owners are cash rich, but whether they choose to put that money into the club is another matter. That's what he's getting at.

I've got mixed views on this whole situation.

I really think people should hold off on kicking off over what the board have done this summer until the window's closed - if for no other reason than it will make your argument a lot more persuasive. Too easy to be written off as a hothead at the minute.

The fact is we genuinely don't know what's going on behind the scenes. There's a few plausible ideas, and some of them are pretty grim, and some of them are very reasonable. Mostly I think we're going to have to wait and see to get a clearer idea of the reality.

If Eddie Howe stays at the club and appears happy, that's a big signal we shouldn't get too paranoid. Not a guarantee, but a very positive sign.

Edited by 80

18 minutes ago, 80 said:

I've got mixed views on this whole situation.

I really think people should hold off on kicking off over what the board have done this summer until the window's closed - if for no other reason than it will make your argument a lot more persuasive. Too easy to be written off as a hothead at the minute.

The fact is we genuinely don't know what's going on behind the scenes. There's a few plausible ideas, and some of them are pretty grim, and some of them are very reasonable. Mostly I think we're going to have to wait and see to get a clearer idea of the reality.

If Eddie Howe stays at the club and appears happy, that's a big signal we shouldn't get too paranoid. Not a guarantee, but a very positive sign.

Yep, this is the one for me.  Until the window closes, it’s best to leave aside any assessments.  Plenty of time left

2 hours ago, High Five o said:

This is not entirely true is it? Linked with Isak for a while, Bruno was quite fast I agree.

Isak just came out of the blue. Remember dropping the bairn off at football camp in the summer holidays the day he signed. There'd literally been no talk of it then when I picked him up at 3.30 we'd signed him.  

Edited to say the first mention of Isak on this forum (the day the Isak thread was started) was 24th August 2022 and we signed him on the 25th.

Edited by Wallsendmag

17 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Isak just came out of the blue. Remember dropping the bairn off at football camp in the summer holidays the day he signed. There'd literally been no talk of it then when I picked him up at 3.30 we'd signed him.  

Edited to say the first mention of Isak on this forum (the day the Isak thread was started) was 24th August 2022 and we signed him on the 25th.

I suspect we’d have heard nowt re Guehi if Parish wasn’t a professional gobshite

40 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I suspect we’d have heard nowt re Guehi if Parish wasn’t a professional gobshite

I do get the impression he's stringing us along here and will pull the plug at the last minute. He's got a massive dislike of our ownership group and would love to shaft us. 

We need to move onto other targets and then maybe revisit this next year when his value will have plummeted due to him going into the last year of his contract, albeit there'll be more competition for him you'd imagine.

Edited by Wallsendmag

This has been exhausting.

Six days to go for Palace to sell to maximise the fee. Unless Guehi is dedicated to them, he won't sign a new deal without a cheap release clause that they will not want to provide. Both Lloyd Kelly and Tosin, lesser CBs, are on well over 100k a week by moving for free. Guehi's agent will know this and many more examples. As things stand, Guehi is supposedly on 50k, so any move will at least double his money. And put him in a better team. And offer the chance to play in Europe and maybe win something. Good lad or not, the player will be 100% up for leaving.

The main way Parish can "win" is by flushing out more bids for the player. This has not happened so far and is unlikely to happen now. There has been too much noise from Ornstein etc. about it being "close" for others to have remained this passive.

I think a deal will be done and then presented as Parish having done us over. I also suspect we are only this deep into this because Howe wants Guehi and this is an internal olive branch to make up for the boardroom changes and appointment of Mitchell which have upset Howe. The club has had to placate Howe because the England job is there if Howe wants it. Like PSR hitting hard just as we get a wealthy owner, this is again an unfortunate factor that is not of our own making.

In case you think I'm being soft on the club, the offering of Gordon to LFC was PSR amateur hour, completely embarrassing (=Minteh x100), and may have permanently soured our relationship with a very very good player who's been great for us.

Yeah it’s just the same stand off there has always been where we want our number one target but they are trying to maximise value. 

Whether Palace don’t care that he’ll still likely want to leave in a years time and will command half the fee is on them. As I’ve said before a big part of this Palace trying to control to optics, having already sold Olise. 

Him signing a new contract is the only outcome where they aren’t flushing money away and that is still relying on him having a good season. 

6 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

Aye, we were on the bus to Tranmere when the Isak deal was announced! 

Got a nagging feeling that we're so calm about this due to Chelsea who are surely going to be the masters of this coming week. I'm expecting a decent chunk of that bomb squad are going to move in some capacity which would likely unlock a fairly massive domino effect.

13 hours ago, Mazzy said:

Move onto another target sooner than a week before the window ends would be my suggestion. 

We don't know that they haven't done that but reports suggest we're only interested in Guehi.

I would be staggered if your officials don’t have a plan b , plan c maybe even a plan d if it had

s been identified that you have a need for a CD.

Place are monsters to deal with but what has complicated matters is they have just sold on one CD and really aren’t awash with options. They likewise will be testing the water with their options list.On top of that they have a wealthy shareholder desperately trying to sell their shareholding.

Of course Palace will try and get as much as they can if the do indeed agree to sell the player the 20-25% profit they will have to play us isn’t an insignificant liability.

If the transfer is going to happen it will take place in the next 3 days . Palace themselves need to sign replacements and ironically they delay to get a better price may work against them when not having time to negotiate as hard as they would want

11 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

They could of course loan the money, increase Equity even gift the money  or the like from their own funds but that isn’t the problem the PSR/FFp submissions will look at the expenditure irrespective of how the money has been paid

If we can’t get urgency to get it done after a Schar 3 match ban, then I don’t know what the fuck we are doing. Going same approach that sure us then flap come PSR deadline, but I guess people are still very pro positive.

On the cash flow, the club could easily make a £100m payment tomorrow. The club is debt free so any bank would provide a short term credit line. There are other clubs up to their eyeballs in debt who wouldn’t be able to do things like that. NUFC have an incredibly secure financial position, PSR just prevents it being used.

My guess is that it’s more that they don’t rate Guehi as a £70m player, and have offered add ons like England caps, or CL qualification. The point being if Palace do think he’s a generational talent then they should have no issue taking those add ons, as in their view they are guaranteed, as the player is so good. If they don’t agree to them it suggests they maybe know the price is too high

39 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

If we can’t get urgency to get it done after a Schar 3 match ban, then I don’t know what the fuck we are doing. Going same approach that sure us then flap come PSR deadline, but I guess people are still very pro positive.

Why don't you go to the club office and complain to them then, instead of bitching on here every 20 mins.

The price stuff reminds me of Man Utd buying Tony Martial. The figure in the press was ‘up to £70m’, which seemed crazy. But Van Gaal (I think it was him) said “ but we only pay 70m if he turns into a 70m player, and then we are happy anyway”.

I think NUFC are making a similiar style bid, and if he were to flop it would maybe be a £40m cost. Under PSR the worse thing you can have is an expensive flop and structured deals help avoid it. But palace don’t want to risk share, they just want cash.