Marc Guehi

gdm

1 minute ago, junkhead said:

And then Guehi turns out to be a bit shit. Imo he doesn't have the qualities but I won't get into that again.. Does he have the character to handle the massively inflated fee? 15 of the top 20 transfers in the PL couldn't.. far better footballers and stronger characters than fucking Guehi if I may add..

Screenshot_20240826-221827.png

Interesting post:

De Bruyne

Van Dijk

Kai Havertz (although not an elite striker, he is an exceptionally good forward for linking play)

Gvardiol

Rice

Are those your five picks?

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Sven Botman being injured and Pope being injured most of last season are the elephants in the room here. We still absolutely need a CB.  

I agree. We need both a CB & RW

How long have they known they've wanted him? Since the end of the Euros? They should have sacked this off weeks ago and moved on elsewhere. Reckon we're gonna sign Guehi/a centre half and a right winger in the next few days? Doubtful. 

Difficult circumstances and all but its hard to argue against them making a hash of this window like. 

8 minutes ago, midds said:

Thing is their egos are looking like they're going to be very bruised regardless of what happens now:

We chase him for 5 weeks and still don't land him - they look stupid

We eventually close the deal but we end up overpaying and caving in to Palace's demands - they look weak

Yep, that’s the way I see. Not signing him now, given there’s seemingly no other option, is worse than signing him for this ridiculous fee. 

Regardless of what happens in the remaining days, they need to be asking themselves some serious questions so that a window like this doesn’t happen again.

It's been very tedious and I'm thankful it seems to be coming to an end. 

I think he's a very very good player and will be an excellent fit on and off the pitch, perhaps even helping Gordon get his mojo back since they're quite close.

I don't see the point in being mad about a 70m deal vs a 65m one or a 60m one. None of us know the specific structures or the specific wages he'll be on. The priority was finding a top-tier CB and if this goes through, we will have done that - and presumably be set for 8-10 seasons. It feels as though some people want to see him struggle just to justify their concerns about the deal or the price. It's all very silly.

Happy with this deal if it goes through. As much as I’d love a RW, CB is absolutely the priority position currently. The back line was done so many times last season due to the lack of pace.

Whilst we’ve probably overpaid, we’ve got some fantastic players bought under market value in hindsight. 

23 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I really think Pope being out for so long is the biggest factor that contributed to us being so defensively shite last season. That plus us persisting with Burn at LB in a period where he was getting rinsed by any winger with pace.

We last signed a RW in 2017 and our current 2 options there will be over 30 this season and aren't good enough.

And we're right back there again if Pope gets injured, which is mental. I agree it had the biggest impact last season, and we haven't fixed it. 

Worth mentioning that, by digging their heels for so long, Palace have 3 days to secure a replacement if this goes through. Cutting nose to spite face comes to mind; they're also yet to replace Andersen. 

15 minutes ago, duo said:

100% - the whole transfer window is looking a bit of a shambles

6 minutes ago, J7 said:

Regardless of what happens in the remaining days, they need to be asking themselves some serious questions so that a window like this doesn’t happen again.

9 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Difficult circumstances and all but its hard to argue against them making a hash of this window like. 

This is all very dramatic and I don't really understand the mindset - especially with several days still left in the window. 

June should have made it abundantly clear that we cannot screw around with our finances. So I have no problem with an eminently qualified group of decisionmakers taking the stance that we are working with a very small pool of potential talents - and trying to do business at a very specific price point. Trying to improve significantly under those restrictions is an exceptionally challenging proposition. It feels like some of our fans think these guys are idiots and have all of a sudden forgotten how to operate in the business they've all succeeded greatly in. I do not understand it. 

1 minute ago, Memphis said:

This is all very dramatic and I don't really understand the mindset - especially with several days still left in the window. 

June should have made it abundantly clear that we cannot screw around with our finances. So I have no problem with an eminently qualified group of decisionmakers taking the stance that we are working with a very small pool of potential talents - and trying to do business at a very specific price point. Trying to improve significantly under those restrictions is an exceptionally challenging proposition. It feels like some of our fans think these guys are idiots and have all of a sudden forgotten how to operate in the business they've all succeeded greatly in. I do not understand it. 

I don’t think they’re idiots. However the window clearly hasn’t gone to plan. Howe has said as much. We need to limit the chances of scrambling round to meet the PSR deadline again at the very least. 

I am hoping that after the window everyone gets their heads together to ensure lessons are learned. Not just about bringing players in, but selling them at the right time. Won’t go into details but we have some mediocre players on our books that are depreciating in value. We have had the chance to cash in and failed to do so. Needs to be reviewed to ensure that moving forward we are better. 

34 minutes ago, midds said:

Thing is their egos are looking like they're going to be very bruised regardless of what happens now:

We chase him for 5 weeks and still don't land him - they look stupid

We eventually close the deal but we end up overpaying and caving in to Palace's demands - they look weak

I disagree - we’d make offers and they get turned down so we but no one doesn’t make us look stupid as we’ve always said we’re not buying just for the sake of it.  The only people that will slag us off is our own fans.

Just now, BennyBlanco said:

The mail running with the decision resting with Guehi now.

Surely we’ve put the feelers out to see if he even wants to come in the first place?🙈😂

Be typical if he does a Freedman and signs a new deal. Would be one of the most unambitious acts I’ve ever witnessed mind 

2 minutes ago, BennyBlanco said:

Surely we’ve put the feelers out to see if he even wants to come in the first place?🙈😂

That part isn’t a problem, don’t worry.

4 minutes ago, BennyBlanco said:

Be quite funny if he turned us down tbf

5 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

I disagree - we’d make offers and they get turned down so we but no one doesn’t make us look stupid as we’ve always said we’re not buying just for the sake of it.  The only people that will slag us off is our own fans.

I just think if we've chased him for a month and subsequently don't get him we do look a bit daft. Or incapable of closing a deal on our #1 target? Either way it looks pretty shit if you're Mitchell

50 minutes ago, junkhead said:

And then Guehi turns out to be a bit shit. Imo he doesn't have the qualities but I won't get into that again.. Does he have the character to handle the massively inflated fee? 15 of the top 20 transfers in the PL couldn't.. far better footballers and stronger characters than fucking Guehi if I may add..

Christ, you really don’t like the lad :) 

I don’t think the fee will weigh on his mind, he comes across as top level headed for that to be a factor.

The unusual thing with this transfer is that we have always looked for opportunities in the market with players that we can exploit, yet arguably we are the ones being exploited here, by paying over the odds based on his performance at the Euros.

He is going to have to put in some worldie performances to maintain that value.

Fairly promising that this has come from the guy that Palace clearly brief?

Although, that could mean he's been asked to basically do a 'last chance to buy' bit of PR before they resoundingly reject the offer [emoji38]

Strange goings on at Palace, likely driven by the ownership turmoil. Potentially losing quite a few key players/characters without securing great replacements.

1 hour ago, junkhead said:

You think 15 of those are of strong character? Anthony? Paul Pogba? Enzo Fernandez? Jadon Sancho?

You can argue about his ability but have no idea why you are calling his character into question.