Marc Guehi

gdm

28 minutes ago, Izakaya said:

I'm sure we'd want our strongest team for the semi/final, should we make it. 

Should hopefully have Botman, Kelly and Schar fighting fit if we get there. It's annoying but we can manage. 

Edited by Decky

7 hours ago, Mike said:

Palace paying us back for letting them take @Alan Pardew

YEEES LADS!! 

Money for you lot and I got to go back to London. I guess one can say the well had dried up at that point. You lot were tired of me and I was getting a bit fed up as well I must say with all the complaining and constant noise lads - So again I made something work for you lot.  
Remember when we thrashed Stoke 5-1? Good times. 

Though I will say this lads...

When I left you were INSTANTLY relegated with a squad much the same as mine but with Wijnaldum. Never forget that lads. I made the wheels turn here because I knew how to navigate the Prem better than most other managers at midtable clubs. Because I was and am the KING. Ashley was never my mate, I could never escape that rumour. Hell he bought me Vurnon Anita to replace Cabaye lads...! How can you think that? 

Just had an amazing Pinot Nero wine lads - from a small and upcoming Italian vineyard. 74 quid a bottle well fucking worth it lads. You haven't heard of it. See ya later!

Edited by Alan Pardew

3 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Genuinely baffling we've been at the "this is so close boys!" stage whilst he's played 3 times for Palace :lol:

When Prem teams have an asking price they seem to actually mean it.

Rightfully so, we’d want our lot to take the same stance if someone came in for Bruno. The mouthing off in the me is has triggered some but if your a palace fan you provably appreciate the transparency from Parish. 

From what I can make out (at least from what's been reported), Palace set their stall out early re the asking price, and we've made a number of bids which are both below it and comprise of a load of add-ons.  Other than Parish being a wanker, I completely respect their position - they haven't budged, and nor should they.

What is a little frustrating from our end is if we do end up meeting the price that we've ended up with a cup-tied player as the only differential in meeting their requirements weeks ago.  If we don't meet their price, then fair enough, we weren't prepared to pay it (though perhaps we should have moved on earlier).

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

From what I can make out (at least from what's been reported), Palace set their stall out early re the asking price, and we've made a number of bids which are both below it and comprise of a load of add-ons.  Other than Parish being a wanker, I completely respect their position - they haven't budged, and nor should they.

What is a little frustrating from our end is if we do end up meeting the price that we've ended up with a cup-tied player as the only differential in meeting their requirements weeks ago.  If we don't meet their price, then fair enough, we weren't prepared to pay it (though perhaps we should have moved on earlier).

Aye it appears palace have named the price; if they’ve done so and being up front with us all the way I salute them. 

The price is absurd to me and clearly intended to warn off potential buyers, if we are daft enough to pay it we have more money than sense. 

also, my obligatory I don’t want to hear us cry about FFP whilst shipping in the most expensive market in the world applies. 

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

I know nothing as a sporting director role but it seems you'd have a list of players ranked. It seems you'd tell these guys to fuck off on Guehi and mean it. Window is closing so I hope they have been making contacts and planning for alternative moves.

2 minutes ago, McDog said:

I know nothing as a sporting director role but it seems you'd have a list of players ranked. It seems you'd tell these guys to fuck off on Guehi and mean it. Window is closing so I hope they have been making contacts and planning for alternative moves.

The reports seem to suggest Mitchell has minimal input for this window obviously we can’t be sure if that’s true or not. 

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Aye it appears palace have named the price; if they’ve done so and being up front with us all the way I salute them. 

The price is absurd to me and clearly intended to warn off potential buyers, if we are daft enough to pay it we have more money than sense. 

also, my obligatory I don’t want to hear us cry about FFP whilst shipping in the most expensive market in the world applies. 

Agreed re FFP - I'm perfectly happy for the club to make these sort of transfers, but wouldn't like to see the panicked scramble that occurred in June.

I'm also aware that 'we don't know the accounts', apparently, so we shouldn't worry about that stuff :)

2 minutes ago, McDog said:

We definitely will have that.  Personally, I'm perfectly ok with the club betting everything on red in the form of Guehi

29 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Genuinely baffling we've been at the "this is so close boys!" stage whilst he's played 3 times for Palace :lol:

When Prem teams have an asking price they seem to actually mean it.

You should first think again whether we are really at THAT stage or we just being tricked

13 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Agreed re FFP - I'm perfectly happy for the club to make these sort of transfers, but wouldn't like to see the panicked scramble that occurred in June.

I'm also aware that 'we don't know the accounts', apparently, so we shouldn't worry about that stuff :)

We definitely will have that.  Personally, I'm perfectly ok with the club betting everything on red in the form of Guehi

For sure, I mean we can estimate that this deal will cost about 20m per year in Amortisation and wages and that’s a huge amount. 

but as you’ve mentioned,I don’t want to make this FFP chat so will leave it at that. 

7 hours ago, Yorkie said:

I can't see his being cup tied being a big deal. Annoying but it'd be weirdly and uncharacteristically short-termist of us if we walked away on that basis. 

Why are you so against the idea (forming a judgement later)? I can absolutely recommend coming around to the way of thinking because it makes for a much less stressful transfer window. :lol:

Villa must be foaming that they didn't walk away from Milner when we cuptied him at Coventry. 

We might not sign him but I wouldn't read much into last night. 

Screenshot_20240828-053712.png

Screenshot_20240828-053818.png

Edited by Optimistic Nut

3 hours ago, Alan Pardew said:

YEEES LADS!! 

Money for you lot and I got to go back to London. I guess one can say the well had dried up at that point. You lot were tired of me and I was getting a bit fed up as well I must say with all the complaining and constant noise lads - So again I made something work for you lot.  
Remember when we thrashed Stoke 5-1? Good times. 

Though I will say this lads...

When I left you were INSTANTLY relegated with a squad much the same as mine but with Wijnaldum. Never forget that lads. I made the wheels turn here because I knew how to navigate the Prem better than most other managers at midtable clubs. Because I was and am the KING. Ashley was never my mate, I could never escape that rumour. Hell he bought me Vurnon Anita to replace Cabaye lads...! How can you think that? 

Just had an amazing Pinot Nero wine lads - from a small and upcoming Italian vineyard. 74 quid a bottle well fucking worth it lads. You haven't heard of it. See ya later!

You're my hero, remember when you headbutted that fella.

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Villa must be foaming that they didn't walk away from Milner when we cuptied him at Coventry. 

We are signing a England International defender about to enter his prime (if it goes through)

When was the last time we bought a player starting for England? I don't count Trippier for obvious reasons. Owen?

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Screenshot_20240828-053712.png

Screenshot_20240828-053818.png

You had to go back to 2008!

It is fairly standard practise that if a player is near to leaving they don’t play, especially in cup games against lower league opponents. Guehi may still join but it is a pisstake.

1 minute ago, WilliamPS said:

You had to go back to 2008!

It is fairly standard practise that if a player is near to leaving they don’t play, especially in cup games against lower league opponents. Guehi may still join but it is a pisstake.

That's just the one that stands out to me because I remember it as we were involved. I'm pretty sure there'll be other instances but am I fuck trailing through. 

I don't really get the arguments about it's dragged on too much or that Palace are somehow showing us up. 

We've submitted some bids, and they've decided they don't match their valuation. Fair enough. 

We don't think he's worth what they're asking so haven't submitted a higher bid. Also fair enough. 

By the end of the transfer window someone might blink, but in the meantime it's not really dragging on in the sense that very little will actually be happening. Once the bids were rejected it was always going to be a case of it something happens it'll probably be at the end of the window.  In the meantime maybe we'd have signed someone else. Maybe they'd have found someone willing to bid more. If not, there'll be a decision to be made. 

The only way we'd have him here already is if we offered more, and a lot of us on here don't think we should. Maybe we end up paying it on deadline day anyway? Perhaps, but with FPP being what it is I think we had to at least try not having to pay full whack. 

As for the Palace showing us up bit I don't really care if SP acts like a bell end in public about it. I'd rather our transfer dealings were dealt with in private but we can only control our side. In terms of the actual negotiations it all seems standard enough to me. 

14 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

That's just the one that stands out to me because I remember it as we were involved. I'm pretty sure there'll be other instances but am I fuck trailing through. 

I seem to remember Tarkowski getting touted for a £50m move to Leicester when he was in a similar position to Guehi. Ridiculous fee then, probably about the equivalent of what we’re being challenged to pay now.

4 minutes ago, Cf said:

I don't really get the arguments about it's dragged on too much or that Palace are somehow showing us up. 

We've submitted some bids, and they've decided they don't match their valuation. Fair enough. 

We don't think he's worth what they're asking so haven't submitted a higher bid. Also fair enough. 

By the end of the transfer window someone might blink, but in the meantime it's not really dragging on in the sense that very little will actually be happening. Once the bids were rejected it was always going to be a case of it something happens it'll probably be at the end of the window.  In the meantime maybe we'd have signed someone else. Maybe they'd have found someone willing to bid more. If not, there'll be a decision to be made. 

The only way we'd have him here already is if we offered more, and a lot of us on here don't think we should. Maybe we end up paying it on deadline day anyway? Perhaps, but with FPP being what it is I think we had to at least try not having to pay full whack. 

As for the Palace showing us up bit I don't really care if SP acts like a bell end in public about it. I'd rather our transfer dealings were dealt with in private but we can only control our side. In terms of the actual negotiations it all seems standard enough to me. 

So why go after this type of players?

I know it´s the same loop. But we seem to complain about FPP, still we only want to buy PL proven players that cost a fortune, which make our sqaud lacking big time. Oh, and we also dont sell any players. Just keeps giving them new contract so we then (acording to everyone) cant sell them.

I get all the queries over the amount of the fee and how it’s been played out in public (seems like Palace have driven this) but I’ll still be chuffed if we get him in. He would really bring so much to that defence in terms of composure and recovery pace and I think it would give everyone a bit of a lift.

Is this any dissimilar to Kane to Man City other season? Where Kane was all ready for a move, clubs in talks, seemed it would happen, but clubs could never get close to agreement on fee. 

Seen it a few times, whilst no where near the being the norm, a player agreeing terms with his number one club, but then either that deal not happening or player needing to go elsewhere because a different club has matched the fee. Why I can’t side on optimism till I see Orny slam that tweet.