Newcastle United 1-0 Southampton (17/08/24)

Disco

On 16/08/2024 at 02:05, TheBrownBottle said:

The only midfielder that we have that Gallagher wouldn't get a start ahead of is Bruno.

But I doubt we'd go for him for the reasons stated by others (salary)

On 16/08/2024 at 04:57, TheBrownBottle said:

I think he's a better footballer than Joelinton - and Tonali, unfortunately, remains an open question in terms of the PL

26 minutes ago, St1pe said:

I must have missed that post but was someone seriously suggesting Gallagher was better than Joelinton [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

:hmm:

11 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Southampton definitely on my shit list, like. Fuck ‘em. 

It’s amazing how quickly my good will for a team can go down the shitter. I’ll know better next time. Cunts from kickoff. Everyone of em. 

Edited by SEMTEX

49 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

See the last few minutes showed he wasn't, or he wouldn't have been given the fouls we got. He's just terrible, really terrible.

Nah, I just think he'd reached the very outer boundary of being shamelessly on the take. [emoji38]

26 minutes ago, Stifler said:

It was down to his England duty. I said before the Euro’s that I’d rather our players not go. They needed a rest, and the ones going with England were never going to play. He only came back the other week and hasn’t had a long enough rest, nor a long enough pre-season. Almost like Southgate did it to unsettle our squad due to being under the impression that he was getting the Man Utd job.

Come on Stiffy, this is delusional even on your scale :lol:

16 minutes ago, Pata said:

Come on Stiffy, this is delusional even on your scale :lol:

You have to allow me some tongue in cheek comments.

Edited by Stifler

Was never positive throughout that, felt we looked bad early and once we got that red I felt it was inevitable that we were gonna lose or draw.

Lived and breathed the last ten minutes of it though when I realized we looked like hanging on, fucking delighted because I really think we needed those three points.

Sign a few cunts and we'll have a great year.

Southampton did well the first twenty minutes or so tbf, looked like a decent side.

Loads of snide shite and then that display from Diaz, really hope they have an awful season where they get no luck and are relegated, with none of the playing or coaching staff going on to anything better in their professional lives.

The grit and heart to ge the goal after being down to 10 and then defending like our lives depended on it was just really awesome to see today. 

Thought we were ok before the sending off but not great. Still got in some good positions with the movement on the right between longy, Tino and Murphy, just didn't get the final ball right. Gordon clearly still not 100% up to match fitness, and then our press suffers which wasn't great, even though we did get some moments with it.

Lewis Hall offensively is so good. He might end up with a few 10 out of 10 performances, but also some howlers with his defending. Might be a case sometimes of using one of the taller lads like Kelly at LB when we are under the cosh, with Hall playing when we are at home or chasing a goal.

Thought Howe won the tactical battle in the 2nd half. Walker Peters was causing us a lot of issues in the first half, but Southampton put him on the right to target Lewis Hall. Didnt account for Joelinton being a monster basically playing left wing back to left wing. Easily the man of the match for me even if he hadn't scored. [emoji38]

Thought the whole back 4 was immense, Livra didnt get much protection but performed well, and Krafth also did very well with Burn being the standout back there. Counter attacking by himself isnt really Isak's game but he is so deadly and skilled the few times he does get the ball.

15 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Longstaff trying to squeeze through to add his 2 penneth worth class  although glad we stopped the boiling over and set reset ourselves emotionally 

I loved that like. We were shit at the start but the red card turned it into an old fashioned siege, and what should've been a routine 3 points into proper fist pumping stuff. Appreciated the goal and save much more than in other recent wins. Joelinton <3

Not seen red back. My initial reaction (from the Leazes) was anger at Schar for being so stupid to give him that opportunity, but maybe I was being harsh.

(Did I see @Sifu walking up the stairs in the Leazes?)

Edited by Superior Acuña

Longstaff deserves credit like. Put in two crunching tackles when we needed a tone setter. More of that please.

We know he has limitations but when he puts a shift in he can be of good use to the squad.

Just now, STM said:

Longstaff deserves credit like. Put in two crunching tackles when we needed a tone setter. More of that please.

We know he has limitations but when he puts a shift in he can be of good use to the squad.

His bone cruncher on Bereton Diaz

yes-agree.gif

Just now, STM said:

I didn't see the last 15. What subs did we make after Barnes and Kelly came on?

We didn't.

EDIT: Not sure if Willock actually came on or not so maybe him.

Edited by Skeletor

8 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

I loved that like. We were shit at the start but the red card turned it into an old fashioned siege, and what should've been a routine 3 points into proper fist pumping stuff. Appreciated the goal and save much more than in other recent wins. Joelinton <3

Not seen red back. My initial reaction (from the Leazes) was anger at Schar for being so stupid to give him that opportunity, but maybe I was being harsh.

(Did I see @Sifu walking up the stairs in the Leazes?)

Oh on the whinging side - for the second time in three games the seat right next to me was empty (different seats). What waste man when people are desperate to get in. Then the two next to that missed the goal going in for pints on 40mins.

Edited by Superior Acuña

Great win given the circumstances. We didn’t start well so down to 10 I was worried. Belter result and great way to galvanise the squad.

Realise I’m gonna come across as a right miserable bastard here so apologies in advance, and maybe it was just from my seat (Gallowgate mid-ish), but thought the atmosphere was dire. Bad enough for the Corner (who don’t stop to be fair to the fuckers) to goad the Gallowgate.

Sign of the times I suppose and hate to put a dampener on a great result. 

On we go!