Newcastle United 1-0 Southampton (17/08/24)

Disco

The two Brazilian lads feel a complete class above at times. Some of the stuff they do in tight spaces is insane.

I also think Joelinton has become twice the footballer, from a technical perspective since Bruno arrived. It must have a massive impact when your best mate is an absolute superstar.

I was really buzzing prior to the start of the game but that ended up by fucking nerve-wrecking, at some points it looked like we never had a pre-season and this was our first friendly, hopefully we can be more sharp in the next game.

I really feel that if/ when we went with this:

Tonali for longstaff

guehi or equivalent for burn

class RW for Murphy 

We would be an absolute force to be reckoned with from a starting 11 aspect.

The board needs to be sorting this now with know European footy and the bench and back up we have with trippier, Barnes, osula etc for the cup ties we could and should be one of the top 4 teams at the end of the season easily 

First game of the season can be an oddity, players haven’t got the competitive eye in yet. Main outcome is all 3 points.

Some of the players will get their edge back next week.

Very soft red but foolish to give the ref a decision to make there. 

Just now, Weezertron said:

Are we still worried about the lack of defensive midfielder?

No where near of Milan levels of pressure we had to soak up due to the calibre of the opposition but for 10 men we seemed more assured than when we were under the cosh and not playing our first choice back 4 for most of the game either. Think Joelinton staying fit and on the pitch is vital to not needing a DM although see what tonali does to the midfield before we judge.

A gritty win I thought. Southampton had lots of huff+puff 2nd half, but we defended really well to a man and got the win. :thup:

Not a classic, but a win. :)

Schar is fucking stupid for being suckered in to doing what he did. With his experience - he should know far better. :rant:

The goal we scored today shows why Southampton are guaranteed to go straight back down. You don't get away with that in the premier league, get back to where you belong.

27 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

A gritty win I thought. Southampton had lots of huff+puff 2nd half, but we defended really well to a man and got the win. :thup:

Not a classic, but a win. :)

Schar is fucking stupid for being suckered in to doing what he did. With his experience - he should know far better. :rant:

It was win plain and simple. 3 points are 3 points. Not exactly a great advert for how the season may go, but promoted teams do have a tendency to spring shocks in their first game purely down to excitement and adrenaline. This was a massive banana skin....we might have wobbled, buy didn't actually fall despite the the officials best attempts

1 hour ago, KingArthur said:

I think we were really bad 11 v 11. Gordon, Bruno and Hall all looked like in the middle of preseason. Thank fuck for that goal and good enough defending in the end.

We weren’t really bad FFS. Half an hour of the first game of the season.