Nottingham Forest (3) 1-1 (4) Newcastle United [LC2] (28/08/24)

BlueStar

Just now, Pata said:

This after two and a half matches? :lol:

It just doesn't seem right at all, I know could change but we look a shadow of the team that finished 4th

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Think that's being very forgiving; he's been crap. 

We haven't got the ball to him in good positions at all tonight and we seem to regularly not manage to away from home.

We're missing link play apart from Tonali. Back four struggle to move it up the pitch, we're going back far too often when under pressure. Tonali is class at anticipating the next pass long before he receives the ball. Then we're struggling to link the midfield and the forwards - Barnes and Almiron have offered very, very little and Isak looks uninspiring to say the least. We miss Willock's running and his ability to move the ball up the pitch, we don't have enough carriers right now.

Am i watching a different game to the commentators and pundits ?  Yes Nottm Forest have been better on the ball, we've been wasteful, Isak having a mare holding it up. Yet we've had the 3 best chances, well 4 if you include the save for our goal.   Sandro and Miggy should probably have scored, and Forest have only had half chances at best. 

I might be paranoid but Alan Smith is very very negative towards us, Sandro being the exception as he's praised him, but overall very anti anything we do.

Edited by Bimpy474

3 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Yeah I've been a tad puzzled by the criticism on here, if anything he just looks slightly anxious, but was building his way into the game, its been played at a frantic tempo end to end, he's had his work cut out. Literally not sure what we could do at LB that would make any difference, Tino has been below his standards of late anyway.

Really? - i can even forgive his defensive mishaps, but then i expect him to be sharp going forward and he has been poor there, lot of miss hits, bad crosses, bad passes, and taking up the wrong space.

Just showed the "clear cut chances" on the official half time graphic, and for Newcastle it said 1. So which one of the Willock goal or the Tonali 1v1 was not a clear cut chance? :lol:

2 minutes ago, Pata said:

This after two and a half matches? :lol:

I agree with you.

But Evertonians are once again convinced they are going down this season.

After two and a half matches...

Very interesting half watching the dynamic with Tonali back.

I think there's a chance we end up being at our best with him at the base of midfield.

His awareness of where everyone is and his first time passing to find them is excellent.

He also doesn't dwell on the ball at all and invite pressure.

Also looks more like a player that will know when to keep passes simple for a while and slow things down when needed.

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

We haven't got the ball to him in good positions at all tonight and we seem to regularly not manage to away from home.

He's had plenty of opportunities to contribute to the play in the final third and it's bounced off him or he's punted it into the opposition. Obviously agree that we should be doing everything to involve him but he needs to pick his arse up tonight. 

Just now, Memphis said:

We're missing link play apart from Tonali. Back four struggle to move it up the pitch, we're going back far too often when under pressure. Tonali is class at anticipating the next pass long before he receives the ball. Then we're struggling to link the midfield and the forwards - Barnes and Almiron have offered very, very little and Isak looks uninspiring to say the least. We miss Willock's running and his ability to move the ball up the pitch, we don't have enough carriers right now.

We are missing Schar and Botman and have Krafth and Burn instead.  I think its a simple as that, we cant play out from the back properly.

Just now, Bimpy474 said:

I might be paranoid but Alan Smith is very very negative towards us, Sandro being the exception and he's praised him, but over very anti anything we do.

Always has been. 

I keep getting frustrated that we're taking it long from GKs etc. and then see our defence trying to build play [emoji38]

Disappointed in Hall, like. 

Fairly standard stuff for an away cup tie very early on in the season. We just need to build some rhythm.

1 minute ago, Bimpy474 said:

Am i watching a different game to the commentators and pundits ?  Yes Nottm Forest have been better on the ball, we've been wasteful, Isak having a mare holding it up. Yet we've had the 3 best chances, well 4 if you include the save for our goal.   Sandro and Miggy should probably have scored, and Forest have only had half chances at best. 

I might be paranoid but Alan Smith is very very negative towards us, Sandro being the exception as he's praised him, but overall very anti anything we do.

*Notts

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Very interesting half watching the dynamic with Tonali back.

I think there's a chance we end up being at our best with him at the base of midfield.

His awareness of where everyone is and his first time passing to find them is excellent.

He also doesn't dwell on the ball at all and invite pressure.

Also looks more like a player that will know when to keep passes simple for a while and slow things down when needed.

Good post Kaka. His vision and spatial awareness was faster on some of his one touch plays than me watching on TV with an aerial view of the pitch. [emoji38]

When we boot it long we always lose it.

When we play out from the back we struggle to get out of our own half.

We have all our top passers on the field.

This is not an isolated thing, there is a problem with our system in posession. We're only dangerous on the counter. We always play like an away team.

Also, to be fair, they haven't really created any gilt-edge chances. Most of the time it's us being sloppy that lets them into the game, though we're really not putting any pressure on with our press. They're not even pressing hard yet we seem to struggle.

Also, Tonali oozes class like any American food oozes cheese.

Edited by Checko

2 minutes ago, NobbySolano said:

Really? - i can even forgive his defensive mishaps, but then i expect him to be sharp going forward and he has been poor there, lot of miss hits, bad crosses, bad passes, and taking up the wrong space.

he has completed 28/32 passes

I think we can see why Guehi is a priority. Krafth and Burn are okay but not solid by any stretch. Isak and Big Joe not on it either. Tonali looks great mind. I'd love a comfortable watch just once in a while. A quick 2nd kills it though. 🙏

1 minute ago, relámpago blanco said:

We are missing Schar and Botman and have Krafth and Burn instead.  I think its a simple as that, we cant play out from the back properly.

For sure that diminishes our ability to play out from the back. But unfortunately Forest know that too - and we haven't really made any adjustments to compensate.