Go on then…Rate the summer 2024 Transfer window.

gdm

Utter shite. It's not so much that I reckon we'll finish around 7-9th that troubles me, but that our ineptness risks the loss of some wonderful players next year who'll view this season as not just standing still, but regressing relative to the competition. Lack of progress on stadium and training ground are also deeply concerning.

Edited by Turnbull2000

1 hour ago, Pilko said:

Shambolic. Can't even bring myself to give it a numerical rating, but it was shit. I'm sure the two senior outfield acquisitions we made will be good signings in their own right but they feel very much like side dishes next to an empty plate.

If you look past the Hall loan-to-buy creative accounting, we've basically spent £10m on first-team players in two transfer windows. It's not good enough.

5 senior keepers on the books, of which only one is up to snuff. The one who was a large part of us not getting a European spot retaining his no. 2 position and only an injury or a red card away from a repeat.

Still loads of unwanted or unused players hanging around that we weren't able to shift. 

Two full-backs starting at centre-back again at the weekend and nothing done about it. 

It's really, really poor. I know the motivation and the effort to succeed from all involved at the club is not comparable in any way to the Ashley era windows, but the disappointment and end result of this window feels like one. Couple of cheap squad lads brought in, no action at the end of the window while everyone round us strengthens.

Total shite and I hope the club review it thoroughly and make sure it doesn't pan out like this again.

The concern for me is that it happened at all. I've lost some trust and we're kind of asking for trouble now.

3/10. 

Lloyd Kelly should be a solid and versatile squad member for many years. Osula is desperately needed cover in the forward positions but is an unknown quantity so we'll see. Vlach an unexpected return to dodgy favour signings. Hall was technically a summer signing and is not the finished article yet but should get there. 

Minteh/Anderson out - not particularly happy about either but needs must. The fact we've held on to Isak/Bruno/Gordon for another 6-12 months is great but the lack of activity surely jeopardises their loyalty beyond that. The team look flat atm and that's a byproduct of our inertia imo. Hopefully we can reset now and make the best of it. 

Generally I've been a happy bunny the entire time since the takeover, including during all of the challenges last season when we navigated an avalanche of mitigating circumstances. And I'm still happy in relative terms because we're infinitely better off than we were and can give anyone a game on our day. 

But we've all seen the perils of resting on your laurels in our past - the first Keegan walkout when becoming a PLC, the Bowyer summer, the Anita summer. Something doesn't seem right atm and I'm not happy with how we conducted our business. Fixating on a £75m centre half at the peak of his value is baffling when we also had big holes to fill at RW and even backup GK. 

Have to hope the new setup settles and we hit a groove with the transfers, because continuing in this direction the signs look very bad. As in we lose our manager or another DOF. Re our general strategy, surely we need to be bringing in players a year or two before they become an established star if we're going to get the best value and stay the right side of PSR? Otherwise it's going to be very tough going as we've seen this summer. 

24 minutes ago, southernmag said:

The concern for me is that it happened at all. I've lost some trust and we're kind of asking for trouble now.

Asking for trouble - exactly.

Poor but don't blame the club, PSR working just as intended - all the more so for ballsing up this season and knocking the project back years, played a blinder really, not like its hard with rules designed and brought to do just that.

Think what it is is I've made my peace with only being a club that can challenge and probably get more often that not European football a long time ago, until such times as these rules change, and its just dawning on others.

Just wait until you see next summers window if you think this was bad

Just now, Jonas said:

Poor but don't blame the club, PSR working just as intended - all the more so for ballsing up this season and knocking the project back years, played a blinder really, not like its hard with rules designed and brought to do just that.

Think what it is is I've made my peace with only being a club that can challenge and probably get more often that not European football a long time ago, until such times as these rules change, and its just dawning on others.

Just wait until you see next summers window if you think this was bad

I do not see that at all. Not at all. Much more cash available most likely and Mitchell in the job for a full year.

3/10 and that's mostly for Isak, Gordon and Bruno staying. Wilson got injured again and we didn't go all out for a versatile RW who can play in the center.

In hindsight, the big mistake was not paying enough to lock in Tosin, which would have allowed us to move focus onto a forward and backup keeper.

As things stand, an injury to Isak or Pope and we are pretty screwed. A Pope one would be deja vu for last season. Isak himself was bought in response to a Wilson injury. The club cannot claim to be surprised if Wilson becomes unavailable. 

fwiw, I'm not bothered about playing Murphy RW and quite like Dan Burn as a defender. If we have a sweeper keeper, I don't see the lack of pace at CB as a huge issue. It becomes one when we have Dubs glued to his line and the distance the defence has to cover effectively doubles.

Fingers crossed that the City trial undoes some of the rules holding us back and this won't happen again.

additionally bad because the players we were publicly linked with, and the prices we were linked at, were mostly overpays for good-but-not-great talent. Even in a world where we buy Guehi (a better world than this) for 65mm, I’m pretty sure most PL recruitment teams are going wtf are they doing. 

Edited by Jagten

Very poor, no plan B or C no way we can hold on to our purples now, Eddie might even go to England, just another team outside the Sky 6

I hoped we signed somebody? But I think what they have done is perfect. We have new exciting young players coming in.

A lot of dead wood going out. 

We wanted quality for 1 team going forward, but that s hard. 

I trust in the team around Eddie to get him what he want.

I am very happy we did not buy quantity players just for fun. 

The future looks bright. 

We have to hold on to where we will be in 5-10 years. 

Top of the world people 👍

9 minutes ago, BigValley said:

I hoped we signed somebody? But I think what they have done is perfect. We have new exciting young players coming in.

A lot of dead wood going out. 

We wanted quality for 1 team going forward, but that s hard. 

I trust in the team around Eddie to get him what he want.

I am very happy we did not buy quantity players just for fun. 

The future looks bright. 

We have to hold on to where we will be in 5-10 years. 

Top of the world people 👍

Nothing we have done over the summer suggests that, we are a functional 6 to 10 team.

Positives

Kept Bruno, Isak and Gordon.

Got a third striker option.

Kelly could be a good pick up.

Didn’t screw ourselves on PSR for January or June by paying over the odds for PL players.

Negatives

No RW.

No CB.

No meaningful Isak cover.

5 fucking keepers, of which 1 is good but with a shoulder problem time bomb and the other 4 are inadequate to put it mildly.

Poor selling - Wilson, Almiron, Targett still here and with diminishing scope to get any meaningful money for them.

Huge number of contracts running down for next summer which either means Mike Ashley-esque extensions or a mass replacement within PSR handcuffs or requiring a purple’s sale.

Edited by Nucasol

Just now, Nucasol said:

Positives

Kept Bruno, Isak and Gordon.

Got a third striker option.

Kelly could be a good pick up.

Didn’t screw ourselves on PSR for January or June by paying over the odds for PL players.

Negatives

No RW.

No CB.

No meaningful Isak cover.

Poor selling - Wilson, Almiron, Targett still here and with diminishing scope to get any meaningful money for them.

Huge number of contracts running down for next summer which either means Mike Ashley-esque extensions or a mass replacement within PSR handcuffs or requiring a purple’s sale.

The point about selling and contracts expiring is a big issue kind, ultimately we can’t player trade because we have a squad full of players who are old with expiring contracts. Yes we will save on wages but we will have to pay fees to get in replacements. 

We better pray city win the case and the owners are willing to get investing via sponsors. 

Piss poor window, 3 maybe 4/10. Yes we kept the big hitters and brought in Kelly and Osula but in a season where we have a real chance to get back into Europe/top four because of our lack of Europe to not strengthen in any of the key areas which everyone knows we’ve needed is failure. They’ve had ages to formulate a list of targets and then when it’s come to it have failed to execute the plan several times with Tosin, Kelman and Guehi and that’s then effected recruitment on the RW.

Really deflating. 

2 minutes ago, Froggy said:

This begs the question, just how good is Dan Ashworth?

Elite level trolling Froggster. I don’t think we’ll ever know how good Ashworth could have been in the market for us as we butchered the construct that might have worked for him. Wasn’t his sole meaningful window last summer? Will judge him on how Tonali, Tino and Hall become remembered.