Go on then…Rate the summer 2024 Transfer window.

gdm

6 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

"The biggest disappointments for me have been that the window has killed my confidence in the ability of those running the club. Their competence has to seriously come into question"

Agreed @Skeletor

I mentioned the other day that Staveley said we'd challenge for the title in 5-10 years just after the takeover. We're miles behind schedule if that's still the goal.

According to the gaffa that time scale is more like 10 years now. 

1/10

Considering start of May, club probably had in mind getting Freedman in, Tosin and a top RW, then needed to pivot to Guehi after Tosin went elsewhere, and likely wanted to move on a few players. We failed in all that.

Got Kelly who will be a scrap back up defender, Osula who we won’t hardly see, and some Greek GK who won’t ever appear for us.

On top of all that, we were a panicking mess come PSR deadline, which saw a promising player in Anderson needing to be sold in a dodgy deal which leaves us with that Greek goalkeeper for however many years his contract runs for, and losing Minteh who will forever be a what if, whilst we roll out the same RWs from the 2010s. 

Keeping likes of Bruno / Gordon / Isak shouldn’t be used to bump window rating up, when we didn’t face any serious bids for them. 

1/10. It's caused more damage than good. Hope they are planning for January straight away but we don't tend to buy until the end of that month or sometimes not at all.

Embarrassing is a good word for it, from the scramble with PSR which seen us sell Minteh and Anderson and hawk Gordon around, to the attempts to sign Elanga on the last day of the window, it shows poor planning on our behalf and makes us look amateurish. We have come across undignified in our dealings.

The whole PSR and it has to be the perfect player as we can’t afford to get it wrong thing is nonsense, every club in the league has to abide by PSR yet I have never known a club that fearful of getting a signing wrong that they are paralysed in the market. 

We have kept Isak, Bruno and Gordon, but we were open to Gordon moving and I don’t doubt if we received a suitable offer for any of them then they would have been sold.

We have signed Hall because there was an obligation to sign him as part of the loan, I don’t think the club would have signed him permanently for the money paid if there was any way of getting out of that, we talk about not being able to make a mistake in the transfer window but have been forced to sign a defender that cannot defend.

I understand wanting players that are Premier League ready but we are boxing ourselves in in terms of price and options when we insist on predominantly doing business here, the narrow group of options has really came back to bite us.

If we lose against Spurs then I can see the crown turning and causing a snowball effect that is going to be difficult to stop, so hopefully we can pick up the win to stop this before it starts.

While some fans don’t like the theory, I don’t see a working relationship between Howe and Mitchell working long term and I think one of them will be gone this time next season, possibly Howe who I think will either take the England job or be sacked if we don’t qualify for europe, which has been made more difficult now.

It is easy to say to fans that there is no point in moaning about it as we can’t change it but every defeat or poor performance this window will be pointed to as being responsible. 

Difficult times ahead.

Shitty window

If we’re serious about being a top end side then we need much better squad depth

My main question is how come we were a less attractive and underesourced club but still identified and landed Trippier, Bruno, Botman, Isak, Tonali, Gordon & Pope.

And Livramento, Barnes and Hall aren’t in that bracket yet but are good players for decent money. 

2 windows have now gone past without a single player coming in who you could compare to that group 

What’s changed in our scouting and signing process ?

I treat 98% of Twatter rumours as complete lies, but I do get the impression we’re targeting a small number of great players, but not landing them

So by default we’re targeting the wrong players 

Edited by bobbydazzla

1 minute ago, bobbydazzla said:

Shitty window

If we’re serious about being a top end side then we need a better squad 

My main question is how come we were a less attractive and underesourced club but still identified and landed Trippier, Bruno, Botman, Isak, Tonali, Gordon & Pope.

And Livramento, Barnes and Hall aren’t in that bracket yet but are good players for decent money. 

2 windows have now gone past without a single player coming in who you could compare to that group 

What’s changed in our scouting and signing process ? 

If you look and have a look at the links since Tonalis ban 90% of them are British based, we are absolutely petrified of making another mistake and have essentially locked our self into the most stupidly inflated market in the world in a league which has more financial controls than a multi national bank. 

The real problem I have with people saying we haven't wasted anything on players who aren't good enough to get us where we want to be is that we've now stagnated long enough not to be a particularly attractive proposition to that sort of player any more. You don't get them just by saying We Are Newcastle, You Have Been Chosen and being careful with financial regulations.

Sometimes you have to just buy players who are enough to make you a solid and competitive unit, players like we know Howe is good at polishing to a sparkle. Would far rather have seen a couple of players around the Harvey Barnes level arrive this summer than spend the whole thing pursuing a relatively unknown quantity whose star was only on the rise because of an international break.

Edited by OpenC

Just now, OpenC said:

The real problem I have with people saying we haven't wasted anything on players who aren't good enough to get us where we want to be is that we've now stagnated long enough not to be an attractive proposition to that sort of player any more. You don't get them just by saying We Are Newcastle, You Have Been Chosen and being careful with financial regulations.

Sometimes you have to just buy players who are enough to make you a solid and competitive unit, players like we know Howe is good at polishing to a sparkle. Would far rather have seen a couple of players around the Harvey Barnes level arrive this summer than spend the whole thing pursuing a relatively unknown quantity whose star was only on the rise because of an international break.

My friend the argument doesn’t wash, we had 70m to spend yet we are starting Krafth Murphy Miggy or longstaff. It’s obvious our failings this window can not be blamed solely on psr or having the right players available. 

44 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

What's your point? It could have been far worse. We didn't actually sell AG fwiw. Some people are going on like he's about to chuck himself off the Tyne Bridge. We offered him to Liverpool for a crazy amount which they turned down. We value him more than Liverpool do - why would he be upset with that?

Why would a player be unsettled/upset by his club offering him for sale to another club?

Does that really need to be explained?

That Waugh and Caulkin article is damning if true mind. An absolute train-wreck of a transfer window that no amount of PMA changes.

If it's true, it certainly looks like Eales and Mitchell are doing Howe a massive disservice, potentially deliberately.

Edited by Kid Icarus

I have a question for everyone mind. 

1, do we believe the club has a preference to sign players with PL experience?

2, if yes, do we believe this preference is the manager or the clubs?

3, do we believe we can juggle psr with this preference?

I think we’re too bloody compliant. Man U were not within the PSR rules and were able to use some excuse. Chelsea have ignored the rules with impunity. Forest who have much less commercial income than us are always spending. No one is as scared as us which I don’t get.

(Surely having Saudi owners means you can always buy someone off here and there)

32 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

If you look and have a look at the links since Tonalis ban 90% of them are British based, we are absolutely petrified of making another mistake and have essentially locked our self into the most stupidly inflated market in the world in a league which has more financial controls than a multi national bank. 

There’s so much absolute bollocks floating about on Twatter that it’s impossible to know who we’ve actually been in for and where they’re playing 

But let’s assume the Olise, Tosin, Guehi and Mamardashvili links had enough in them to be true. All great players but three had more attractive suitors, and one had a club who didn’t want to sell 

That’s not a failure in identification of great players or players whose fee we can afford, it’s a failure in understanding how attractive the player thinks NUFC are if Bayern, Chelsea or Liverpool also come in for them. And that failure happened 3 times

Plus 1 failure in understanding whether a club actually wants to sell 

4 times isn’t bad luck, its an ambitious but flawed recruitment strategy 

Edited by bobbydazzla

4 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I have a question for everyone mind. 

1, do we believe the club has a preference to sign players with PL experience?

2, if yes, do we believe this preference is the manager or the clubs?

3, do we believe we can juggle psr with this preference?

Buy world class prospects from overseas, and develop local prospects yourself. That’s the best way to grow your club under PSR

Buy inflated, fully developed, max priced player whose value will only go downwards, is the worst way

This isn’t hard to grasp anyway

29 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

1/10

Considering start of May, club probably had in mind getting Freedman in, Tosin and a top RW, then needed to pivot to Guehi after Tosin went elsewhere, and likely wanted to move on a few players. We failed in all that.

Got Kelly who will be a scrap back up defender, Osula who we won’t hardly see, and some Greek GK who won’t ever appear for us.

On top of all that, we were a panicking mess come PSR deadline, which saw a promising player in Anderson needing to be sold in a dodgy deal which leaves us with that Greek goalkeeper for however many years his contract runs for, and losing Minteh who will forever be a what if, whilst we roll out the same RWs from the 2010s. 

Keeping likes of Bruno / Gordon / Isak shouldn’t be used to bump window rating up, when we didn’t face any serious bids for them. 

Everton might take the Greek keeper next summer when we have to go through all this again :lol:

Again, poor window and a blip for incoming recruitment, which has largely been very good. All we can ask if that lessons are taken on board and it isn't repeated.

I find the catastrophizing a bit over the top though. We're still an attractive, ambitious project and all of our best players aren't suddenly going to leave. Yes, I think we could be vulnerable to selling one of them next summer, but I'd have thought that regardless. We're still more than capable of top six and an enjoyable season. Granted we're now vulnerable to injury than we needed to be.