Greatest 'almost' goal?

Mike

Isak's chip has me thinking about those moments where we were inches away from something absolutely legendary. Can you think of any moments where we almost got an all time goal, but the ball just couldn't find the net?

This is my favorite example:

Rob Lee vs Brentford is the only answer an NUFC fan can give - those of us who were there are still pissed off 30 years later :) 

edit: in thinking about it, you were asking for nearly goals as in coming close ... still, happy for Rob Lee's fifty yard volley on his other foot to be in here :) 

Edited by TheBrownBottle

1 minute ago, Chris_R said:

Haha was just typing Rob Lee vs Brentford. I was in the Milburn paddock in front of where he hit it from. Still raging.

The only answer. Close the thread.

I've never met anyone who was at that game who isn't still thoroughly fucked off about it :) 

Mike was asking about almost goals that almost hit the net, so I reckon thread can still run on

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Rob Lee vs Brentford is the only answer an NUFC fan can give - those of us who were there are still pissed off 30 years later :) 

edit: in thinking about it, you were asking for nearly goals as in coming close ... still, happy for Rob Lee's fifty yard volley on his other foot to be in here :) 

Ha ha yep 10000% this!

Can’t seem to find it but Martins rattled the crossbar from like 40 yards out against Chelsea in the league cup back in 2005/6 I think. If someone has a link please post it as I couldn’t find it just now 

If we're to include disallowed goals, I'd add Tiote's vs Man City

To stick to the original premise of the thread - what about Shearer's shot after clever build-up vs Man Utd in 96 which almost broke the post?  Happily, we did manage to find the net a few more times ...

1 hour ago, gbandit said:

Can’t seem to find it but Martins rattled the crossbar from like 40 yards out against Chelsea in the league cup back in 2005/6 I think. If someone has a link please post it as I couldn’t find it just now 

4 hours ago, Chris_R said:

Haha was just typing Rob Lee vs Brentford. I was in the Milburn paddock in front of where he hit it from. Still raging.

The only answer. Close the thread.

Barry Venison's fault for having his arm up for offside at RB.

I was also in the Milburn paddock that day.

39 minutes ago, Unlucky Luque said:

Remember Alan Smith hitting an overhead kick from about 40 yards out. Went over their keeper and hit the crossbar. 

Unlucky Luque flicking it over Ferdinand's (I think) head and flashing it just wide. 

Edit: 36 seconds, here:

Edited by NEEJ

1 hour ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Solano volley in the San Siro. Would be an all time NUFC goal if that had went in.

This is the one like. The commentary was superb “OH WHAT A HIT”