Dullard Punditry

Geordie_once_removed

25 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

Anyone watching Milan vs Liverpool tonight, you'll have the great Jon Champion as lead commentator along with..................

Alan Shearer. Shearer splits opinions on here so let's see how ut goes tonight.

Free on Prime so I’m in there like swimwear.

Micah Richards. 

Cursed with the build of an over inflated space hopper and the personality of an 8 year old with the keys to the Haribo factory. 

Thinks wearing glasses lend weight and credibility to his vacuous comments. 

Never before has one man so bought into the 'why be thoughtful and insightful when you can be loud and annoying?' approach to punditry. 

52 minutes ago, NG32 said:

You dont have to wear a suit but looking like your about to jump on a flight to benners with the lads seems a bit weird to me. 

They normally wear polo tops with jeans or chinos no?

Trip to Benners is a loose tracksuit and flip flops. They don’t wear that as pundits. 

Daniel Sturridge has the most casual clothes. And he’s typically dressed like he’s about to hit the red carpet, Vogue or a club. Decked in Prada usually. 

Again - I think modern culture is what you’re rallying against.  Longing for the days of LeTiss and Thompson in suits is weird to me.  Jeff Stelling was brilliant though. 

I’m not a fan of Shearer as a pundit but he’s improved. I expect him to be an expert on NUFC - perhaps unfairly - and he’s not. Particularly on the behind the scenes or FFP/PSR stuff. Not a vibes pundit, not a fun pundit, not a knowledgeable pundit etc.  

I think Shay Given is the most knowledgeable NUFC pundit. Shay also comes across as a sharp guy which helps. 

I very rarely watch the pundits now as they're generally so off-putting. But I've been impressed with Sturridge whenever I've seen him. Seems like a rare professional. 

But overall it's a mystery to me why there are so many awful ones. A lot of the lowlights have been mentioned. Jim Beglin is another disaster zone when he pops up somewhere.

For the Yanks, we’re cursed out here. Robbie Earle is the classic case of a ‘a face for radio’. He was an excellent co commentator, but an awful pundit. Looks fidgety and antsy on camera. Mustoe says nothing of note, Tim Howard is probably the best on there. 

The CBS panel is too cringe to watch. ESPN FC is a disgrace. Aly Moreno is obviously filling a quota. He even looks starstruck and giddy as he can’t believe he’s landed the gig.

Alexei Lalas probably takes the cake for the worst pundit of them all. It’s gotta be something when it looks like his fellow pundits can’t wait until the day he dies. Donavan on co comms this summer was painful and the bastard got every England game. Felt like he was on a one man quest to say “it’s called soccer”. 

3 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I think most pundits are quite poor these days outside of Carragher*. Neville, whilst brilliant when he started, has regressed as a pundit imo; his knowledge outside of the 'big 6' is really, really poor. Has probably just got far too much shit on with Salford, the Overlap, property, his other companies etc to do actual research ahead of games which you can tell Carragher clearly does. Richards offers zero insight and Keane is just there for the "CLASSIC: Keane reaction to ice baths!!!" content. 

The TNT lot, whilst I despise their 12.30 kick off time slot, I'm just meh towards. Able to just zone out and don't listen to them really. 

*He was a bit naff on co-comms on Sunday and he can be a bit nauseating not just with the accent but when he's on commentary or just games involving Liverpool. Away from things that concern LFC he's by far and away the best pundit. Quite clear why Sky wanted to keep him after the spitting incident.

My problem with Neville is I just don't get the impression he actually likes what he's doing. He just sounds so down and negative about anything.

11 minutes ago, Cf said:

My problem with Neville is I just don't get the impression he actually likes what he's doing. He just sounds so down and negative about anything.

Hate to admit it but I enjoy the stuff he does with keane carragher ian wright etc

1 hour ago, Elbel1 said:

Micah Richards. 

Cursed with the build of an over inflated space hopper and the personality of an 8 year old with the keys to the Haribo factory. 

Thinks wearing glasses lend weight and credibility to his vacuous comments. 

Never before has one man so bought into the 'why be thoughtful and insightful when you can be loud and annoying?' approach to punditry. 

and dancing around on that we buy any car advert with a dozen other pricks. 

5 hours ago, Yorkie said:

I'm pretty well over McCoist at this point like. Him and Darren Fletcher are pure headache fuel. 

That said, I have come around to Fletcher a bit. Seems to know his onions. Just rarely shuts up.

Agree about Fletcher. I actually like his passion up to a point. He does one of the BBC Football pods now. He clearly knows his stuff and has strong opinions. But FFS wind it in now and again. 

I’m not saying a host or lead commentator shouldn’t have an opinion at all. But I’ve always felt they are supposed to remain more neutral and the co-comms or pundits dissect it all and offer their take. For the most part, that’s how it seems to go. 

Well, on this pod. It feels like it’s run by a fanzine or something. He gets bogged down going round in circles and being the main one to offer up a take on every subject. Pretty jarring to listen to. 

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

They normally wear polo tops with jeans or chinos no?

Trip to Benners is a loose tracksuit and flip flops. They don’t wear that as pundits. 

Daniel Sturridge has the most casual clothes. And he’s typically dressed like he’s about to hit the red carpet, Vogue or a club. Decked in Prada usually. 

Again - I think modern culture is what you’re rallying against.  Longing for the days of LeTiss and Thompson in suits is weird to me.  Jeff Stelling was brilliant though. 

I quite like Sturridge, I have to say. Doesn't seem like he's there to lick boots and do bants

Edited by toon25

4 hours ago, Parsley said:

The Championship commentator who covered most of our games in the Rafa season - Daniel Mann? - was excellent. Would have him back in a shot! 

Easily Sky's best commentator imo, should have been moved to the PL instead of them bringing Drury in (unless he prefers covering the Championship)

1 minute ago, madras said:

I've given up on listening to punditry/commentary on games. Currently enjoying Bowies "Low" as an accompaniment to the Villa game. "Station to station" for the 2nd half.

Exactly this for me like 

Mute the sound, put some tunes on

Can sit back and relax without feeling the need to boil Clive Tyldesley’s head 

1 hour ago, toon25 said:

I quite like Sturridge, I have to say. Doesn't seem like he's there to lick boots and do bants

I don't think Sturridge is "TV appropriate". However, I do think if he did something on Youtube, we'd get some insight as he can be himself and talk about the game the way he sees it using the words he likes to use but in an environment he feels comfortable in. Same thing with Jermain Defoe. He's not a good pundit but if you see interviews with him, you'll truly see his enthusiasm for the game, finishing, making runs, etc. One of my favorite people to listen to talk about football. 

They just talk so much during the games - it’s non-stop conversation between the commentator and co-commentator.  The co-commentator never used to talk so much. I find myself turning the sound down for most games.

Remember listening to a Newcastle game on TalkSPORT in the car a good few years ago from about 10 mins in and it wasn’t until half-time that they mentioned the score.  The commentators spent most of the game talking about anything but the game.  I have scarcely listened to them since.

it makes me appreciate Matthew Raisbeck on Radio Newcastle because when you see his commentary against the TV highlights, you realise how accurately he is relaying the game.

7 minutes ago, Wallace said:

They just talk so much during the games - it’s non-stop conversation between the commentator and co-commentator.  The co-commentator never used to talk so much. I find myself turning the sound down for most games.

Remember listening to a Newcastle game on TalkSPORT in the car a good few years ago from about 10 mins in and it wasn’t until half-time that they mentioned the score.  The commentators spent most of the game talking about anything but the game.  I have scarcely listened to them since.

it makes me appreciate Matthew Raisbeck on Radio Newcastle because when you see his commentary against the TV highlights, you realise how accurately he is relaying the game.

:thup:

Footy commentators are bad

But Carlton Kirby who commentates on the cycling on Eurosport is the biggest commentator cunt on the planet

He’s subhuman scum

Would take immense pleasure in pushing him from a barge into the Great Pit of Carkoon and watching The Sarlacc slowly devour him for elevenses 

Edited by bobbydazzla

9 hours ago, Abacus said:

Was trying to think who I'd like on co commentary during the match.

It's a shame more decent managers don't do it - Bobby Robson would have been good value, I reckon. Mourinho also, Benitez too. Alex Ferguson might have been a laugh to hear from as well. 

With all due respect to Sir Bobby, he would get the players mixed up and be spouting off wrong players every 2minutes :lol:

10 minutes ago, CPL said:

With all due respect to Sir Bobby, he would get the players mixed up and be spouting off wrong players every 2minutes :lol:

Yeah, actually I did wonder about this one straight after I wrote it [emoji38] 

I'd just like to have heard him talk through a game, but probably co-commentator wouldn't have been his thing, I'd imagine you'd be going down all sorts of routes. 

OK, new idea, let's say you watch a full game again, like your favourite special edition film on DVD when those existed.

He'd have been one of the ones you'd have picked for the directors commentary.