Newcastle United Vs. Chelsea - 30/10/24 @ 19:45 (Live on Sky Sports+) [LCR4])

1 minute ago, McDog said:

Does it? I thought just the FA Cup. 

I retract everything, sign me up.

It does indeed ‎ - the FA screwed the Football League over many years ago with the creation of the PL, but they haven’t ruined them by taking a European place away from the League Cup

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

It does indeed ‎ - the FA screwed the Football League over many years ago with the creation of the PL, but they haven’t ruined them by taking a European place away from the League Cup

That sheds a different light on what I thought. Thank you for the education and hope all is well in Aussie land.

Wouldn’t be surprised if we won.

Not sure Id make many changes aside from playing Kelly and maybe Miley in. Be daft to go wholesale especially when one of Liverpool or Brighton and Spurs or City are going out plus Chelsea hopefully.

It is very simplistic - I know, but I'd be inclined to have Palmer Man Marked in a 4-1-3-2 kind of formation with our "1" basically following him everywhere in this game.

Ideally, our 1 would probably be Sean Longstaff, purely for his athleticism and I think giving him this role would see him "free" of other expectancies around his game and almost tailoring it to what I think Longstaff can be comfortable with. Defend, track, retrieve and lay it off short tk your ball players and carriers in Bruno, Tonali and Joelinton in a slightly more advanced position.

Sit slightly deeper and do an almost half-court-press from basketball where they cannot utilise pace to catch us out. Hit them on the break with Isak and ideally Gordon and occasionally Tonali/Joelinton breaking through.

2 minutes ago, Heron said:

It is very simplistic - I know, but I'd be inclined to have Palmer Man Marked in a 4-1-3-2 kind of formation with our "1" basically following him everywhere in this game.

Ideally, our 1 would probably be Sean Longstaff, purely for his athleticism and I think giving him this role would see him "free" of other expectancies around his game and almost tailoring it to what I think Longstaff can be comfortable with. Defend, track, retrieve and lay it off short tk your ball players and carriers in Bruno, Tonali and Joelinton in a slightly more advanced position.

Sit slightly deeper and do an almost half-court-press from basketball where they cannot utilise pace to catch us out. Hit them on the break with Isak and ideally Gordon and occasionally Tonali/Joelinton breaking through.

I’d not be surprised if Palmer doesn’t play but I’d not be against it. Marking him at all would be an improvement on recent games against this lot.

2 minutes ago, Heron said:

I think we have to sit deeper if we are going to continue with Burn and Schar as the CBs. Then hopefully hit the likes of Isak and Barnes for the counters. I doubt it will work out that successfully in reality, but with the players we have, surely makes the most sense.

Just feel aside from him today they posed nothing of real concern. :thup:

I also think, if we do something slightly different and it works - it might crucify Chelsea somewhat as other teams might 'suss' them out. I don't feel they're any great shakes at present beyond Palmer.

It may be something that then works whenever we come up against any side with a decent 10 that drops in the pockets.

We certainly don't want Schar and Burn pressing into midfield with no cover like today (and Brighton).

Edited by Heron

Really hope this week is the week that ignites our season. 2 home games, where there's zero excuses for both the fans and players not fully at it.

Win both, and it should be the kick start we need. Reminds everyone we can compete, and setting the bar for rest of season. Two defeats, and it's going to be a shite winter, which is compounded in December by getting Man City away in the FA Cup.

I really hope we identify the issues from yesterday's game. It was way too easy for them to play a straight pass into either Palmer or Jackson, who were then able to turn easily and be straight at our back 4. Palmer in particular was being man-marked by Bruno in one phase and then Schar in the next, which was either a really bad plan or just executed terribly. Would rather we just stuck one player on him (either Longstaff or Tonali). Longstaff in particular is good at that role and has done it against the likes of Maddison very effectively in the past. 

Chelsea are still not a good team imo - especially defensively. We can beat them at St. James' with some tweaks. 

3 minutes ago, Smal said:

I really hope we identify the issues from yesterday's game. It was way too easy for them to play a straight pass into either Palmer or Jackson, who were then able to turn easily and be straight at our back 4. Palmer in particular was being man-marked by Bruno in one phase and then Schar in the next, which was either a really bad plan or just executed terribly. Would rather we just stuck one player on him (either Longstaff or Tonali). Longstaff in particular is good at that role and has done it against the likes of Maddison very effectively in the past. 

Chelsea are still not a good team imo - especially defensively. We can beat them at St. James' with some tweaks. 

Let’s see some tweaks then 👍🏻

Palmer is ridiculously difficult to stop mind. He moves around constantly and he attacks from all three channels - left, right and centre. His first touch and awareness are incredible and he only needs half a yard to play a killer pass. Even if you sit deep he might easily curl a goal from outside the box :lol:

We looked unprepared for handling him, I admit, but I don't have the answer on me either. 

I think part of our issue is that Chelsea had arrogance/confidence to play direct passes that other teams wouldn't even attempt, because they have a couple of players that can collect the ball in almost any position. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo