Oguchi Onyewu signs on loan

KaKa

I have a bad feeling that we're mostly just being used as a bargaining chip against LOM.

I'll hope otherwise though. We can worry about whether he'll be good or not after we figure out if we actually have a shot at signing him.

Does anyone actually KNOW how good this fella is, or are we all going of FM2007 and sketchy internet reports?

I've seeen him for the US a couple of times but that's it.

well i've seen him play a lot in the belgian league, and i said weeks ago we should ge in for him. He's basically suited for the premier league, strong, fast enough and quite a leader i reckon... looking forward to a gooch-taylor partnership to be honest!

3pm today:

"To be fair to all these players, I've never heard of them. I am hopeful that we will make one or two signings in the next 48 hours. I'm going to be waiting for my mobile to ring allll day. I won't be forced into making panick buys. I just need to see them a few times, and have a word with my ITK" - Glennda

Guest Gemmill

More like 1pm when the Chronicle gets uploaded.

I love how Oliver and the official website post the exact same "news" every day.

What disgusts me about Oliver is the fact that he uses his column to rubbish stories reported in other papers "With some of the national press today linking us with so and so, I can reveal that this is wide of the mark."  Brilliant.  Is that what they pay you for?  No dickhead, it's not.

More like 1pm when the Chronicle gets uploaded.

I love how Oliver and the official website post the exact same "news" every day.

What disgusts me about Oliver is the fact that he uses his column to rubbish stories reported in other papers "With some of the national press today linking us with so and so, I can reveal that this is wide of the mark."  Brilliant.  Is that what they pay you for?  No dickhead, it's not.

Aye, but Alan Oliver is a winnet on the crack-hairs of the club and so gets to hear more or less everything that is said and done, sometimes though being in that position means that he doesn't get the information spot-on.

I am genuinely amused by the fact that NUFC.co.uk, by all accounts a pretty God-awful website journo-wise, posts Oliver's "exclusives" hours before his paper goes on sale. And in all of the articles he writes "Glenn told me today", "speaking exclusively to the Chronicle today"... hold on a minute pet, the exact same story (usually with more quotes) was on the official website hours ago...

Do the people at the Chronicle think that we all lack internet access, or something? It's like how they give their stories away free on icnewcastle... surely that affects paper sales as a lot of people would only buy it for the "footy news"? I know I'm not interested in reading about how many rapes there've been lately, or how many deaths, or how many grannies have been "viciously" treated.

Guest eyeball_tickler

"United States international Onyewu was another centre-half to have been linked with a January move to The Magpies.

Roeder, though, confirmed he is not pursuing the Standard Liege stopper, who has been interesting Chelsea and Fulham.

He added: "I am aware of this player, but he is not a player I am trying to sign."

so this was just more lies then.

m8 in the know tells me Onyewu has now definitely signed on loan. Should be an announcement shortly.

Given that you got the Souness sacked a few hours before it happenned, and also told us that the player was gavranic last week an hour or so before the news broke, I'm pretty confident that you are right.

Glenn sweats on Gooch bidJan 29 2007

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Newcastle United were forced to play a waiting game today in their bid to get Standard Liege's American defender Oguchi "Gooch" Onyewu and St Etienne striker Frederic Piquionne on loan.

And the stumbling block to both deals was the same - neither the Belgian or French outfits are keen to let their players go out on loan unless United agree to making the moves permanent at the end of the season.

But unfortunately for United fans desperate for a signing, reports today that Roeder was on the verge of signing the "next Thierry Henry," Ajax striker Ryan Babel, are not correct.

With the closure of the January transfer window now just a couple of days away, there is no time for United to make any permanent signings.

And I understand if the loan moves of Onyewu and Piquionne fall through then Roeder will have to make do with what he has got and rely on his current squad for the rest of the season.

All Roeder would say today was: "We want to take Onyewu and Piquionne on loan and we are now waiting for permission for their clubs to do so."

I get the impression that Roeder is more confident of landing "Gooch" than he is of persuading St Etienne to release Piquionne, a player that they value at £5m.

Roeder's big pal Gerard Houllier is keen to take Piquionne to Lyon to play alongside his former Liverpool striker Milan Baros, who the Frenchman picked up from Aston Villa last week.

Real Betis and Portsmouth have also been keeping tabs on the St Etienne striker.

Gooch is a 24-year-old American international who started his career with United's old friends DC United before having spells with Metz in France and La Louviere in Belgium.

He moved to Standard Liege in 2004 but would love a crack at Premiership football with United at St James' Park.

Piquionne is a 28-year-old striker from Martinque who, Roeder says, is very highly rated in France.

United fans I have spoken to are upset about the lack of activity in the transfer market and they have every right to hope that Babel would have come in, especially as those reports today claimed that Albert Luque was supposed to be going in the opposite direction.

Roeder said: "Reports that we are paying £5m to bring Babel to St James' Park are pie-in-the-sky."

As a result, it looks as though Roeder is going to be lumbered with Luque sulking around the training ground until at least the end of the season.

Meanwhile, Roeder has denied that United are to make a bid for Deportivo La Coruna's Argentinian defender Fabricio Coloccini.

m8 in the know tells me Onyewu has now definitely signed on loan. Should be an announcement shortly.

Given that you got the Souness sacked a few hours before it happenned, and also told us that the player was gavranic last week an hour or so before the news broke, I'm pretty confident that you are right.

My only issue is my brain tells me never to trust anyone who types "m8".