Oguchi Onyewu signs on loan

KaKa

Guest YankeeGeordie

I'm happy for the Magpies and I'm happy for Oguchi.  This could be a brilliant signing for all parties, including the US National Team, which benefits from the experience he will get.

I lost a bet with a mate this summer when I predicted he would wind up in the EPL after the 2006 WC, but better late than never, and thankfully he didn't wind up on Smogside last August.  IMO, he didn't really have a very good WC despite what some breathless pundits in America would have you believe, but this is typical Gooch - move him a step up and he makes mistakes.  Keep him at that level, and you see that he adapts and learns and eventually dominates the very players who gave him trouble at first (just ask Borgetti).

My fear is that the fans will jump on him after one or two inevitable howlers.  His running style may appear to some that he isn't working hard enough - but he's has enough pace and it's just the way a big man runs efficiently.  Anyone who watches him train on and off the pitch would know enough not to question his hunger.  Luckily, the kid is as mentally strong as he is physically.  He should prevail.  He has always been very popular with his teammates everywhere he has been.

BTW, get used to his physical stature...huge but gifted players who love to weight train are the future.  It will be funny to see him next to Dyer and Emre.  The man is larger than 6'4" 210, btw.  I stand 6'5" and I think he's just as tall as me, and if he's only 15 stone I'll eat my hat.

Guest nufc 4 life

Can see what will happen now though, we will get him on loan, he will be awesome, and we will then lose out on signing him as he go's to Man Ure or Chelski.

no view to permanent sigining which would be a fixed fee if he did brill over here first he would hopefully want to stay secondly the club would probably charge a hell of a lot more than the fixed fee for people like man ure or chelsea so if we want to sign him at the end of the season i would be confident we would get him

Gooch is a 24-year-old American international who started his career with United's old friends DC United before having spells with Metz in France and La Louviere in Belgium.

Glenn sweats on Gooch bidl

DC United?

Where did that come from? He grew up in DC, but I don't think he played in MLS. Was at Clemson (University) I think, but not DC United.  I've never  heard that before.  Am I wrong?

Could it be that Oliver is just making stuff up?

Gooch is a 24-year-old American international who started his career with United's old friends DC United before having spells with Metz in France and La Louviere in Belgium.

DC United?

Where did that come from? He grew up in DC, but I don't think he played in MLS. Was at Clemson (University) I think, but not DC United.  I've never  heard that before.  Am I wrong?

that gave me pause as well.  and why would dc utd be united's old friends?

Can see what will happen now though, we will get him on loan, he will be awesome, and we will then lose out on signing him as he go's to Man Ure or Chelski.

no view to permanent sigining which would be a fixed fee if he did brill over here first he would hopefully want to stay secondly the club would probably charge a hell of a lot more than the fixed fee for people like man ure or chelsea so if we want to sign him at the end of the season i would be confident we would get him

eh ? is it "no,view to permanent signing" or "no view to permanent signing"

Fastforward to 25th May 2007 Evening Chronicle, back page headline:

"ONYE BIKE!"

Toon loan ranger Oguchi Onyewu has rejected the chance to join Glenn Roeder's band of merry men on a permanet deal. The impressive Amercian has stated he will only move to a club involved in Europe next season..........

DC United?

that gave me pause as well.   and why would dc utd be united's old friends?

We played DC United a fair few summers back during a Summer tour of the States. May have been the day when Bassedas broke his foot and effectively ended his Newcastle career before it had even began.

DC United?

that gave me pause as well.   and why would dc utd be united's old friends?

We played DC United a fair few summers back during a Summer tour of the States. May have been the day when Bassedas broke his foot and effectively ended his Newcastle career before it had even began.

ahh...  cheers for that, i wasn't aware.  we DID beat DC Utd, right?

I think both them and Columbus Crew beat us in a pretty poor tour.

DC may have been a 3-0 home win. Not 100% sure though. Was the summer where we bought Carl Cort iirc.

Guest Geordiesned

DC may have been a 3-0 home win. Not 100% sure though. Was the summer where we bought Carl Cort iirc.

We toured (does 2 games count as a tour??) the States in July 2000.

DC United beat us 3-1. Daniel Cordone got our goal.

We drew 2-2 with Colombus Crew. Carl Cort got both.

We toured (does 2 games count as a tour??) the States in July 2000.

DC United beat us 3-1. Daniel Cordone got our goal.

We drew 2-2 with Colombus Crew. Carl Cort got both.

Who's worse, him or Ameobi?

It's quite off-topic, and I hope he's a good signing for us, but, from what I've read so far, I hope this isn't the future of football. I fear it is. 10 foot tall fuckers who have all the skill of Andy O'Brien but can run all day long. I heard on Talksport the other day an anonymous fella working in what is basically a feeder club for London PL sides and he said when they coaches and scouts come down to have a look at his lads, for the most part, they ignore the lads with good technique and football brains and pick out the ones with pace or who they think will grow into monsters. He reckons some scouts measure the lads' hands to work out how tall they'll grow, etc.

Guest SeattleToon

Keefaz, as long as heading the ball is permitted, big, tall, physically intimidating central defenders like Gooch are going to be highly valued. He's almost impossible to win a header off of and will go a long way towards shoring up our central defense and clearing out all those crosses that our defenders usually muck up and let bounce around our box. And while his technique isn't terrific, he is not on of those defenders who panics with the ball at his feet and just hoofs it up the pitch. Think of him as someone who with a year or so of good coaching will become as good as Rio Ferdinand or Sol Campbell were in their primes. That's how promising he is.

Keefaz, as long as heading the ball is permitted, big, tall, physically intimidating central defenders like Gooch are going to be highly valued. He's almost impossible to win a header off of and will go a long way towards shoring up our central defense and clearing out all those crosses that our defenders usually muck up and let bounce around our box. And while his technique isn't terrific, he is not on of those defenders who panics with the ball at his feet and just hoofs it up the pitch. Think of him as someone who with a year or so of good coaching will become as good as Rio Ferdinand or Sol Campbell were in their primes. That's how promising he is.

Ah yes but this is our coaching staff.

Pearson is god

So you're saying Pearson is over-rated? 

So you're saying Pearson is over-rated? 

I didn't know he was rated at all, never mind over-rated.