Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

Players who refuse to bring the ball out from the back when there's a load of space in front of them. Don't just hoof if it forward, use a brain cell or 2 and at least attempt to play an actually productive pass.

On a similar theme, midfielders who will immediately pass it backwards/sideways without even looking around them to see they have space to get their foot on the ball, look up and pick out a decent forward pass.

Doesn't mean trying to go on a mazy run but honestly, take some fucking responsibility instead of passing the buck / cowardly hitting it forward to get it away from you. Fucking infuriating.

Players who refuse to bring the ball out from the back when there's a load of space in front of them. Don't just hoof if it forward, use a brain cell or 2 and at least attempt to play an actually productive pass.

On a similar theme, midfielders who will immediately pass it backwards/sideways without even looking around them to see they have space to get their foot on the ball, look up and pick out a decent forward pass.

Doesn't mean trying to go on a mazy run but honestly, take some fucking responsibility instead of passing the buck / cowardly hitting it forward to get it away from you. Fucking infuriating.

It's amazing that so many professional footballers, who has played the game for more or less every day of their lives can look so utterly crap and scared with the ball.

Doesn't mean trying to go on a mazy run but honestly, take some f***ing responsibility instead of passing the buck / cowardly hitting it forward to get it away from you. f***ing infuriating.

It's amazing that so many professional footballers, who has played the game for more or less every day of their lives can look so utterly crap and scared with the ball.

I often think this but with players who are terribly one footed. They've play football nearly every day of the week for their whole lives and they're still scared to use or are terrible with their other foot

Seems a petty one.  But I've been getting annoyed recently, with added time at the end of games.  I'm sure I read/heard somewhere, that the refs do actually stop the clock.  But it usually seems well low.  Like the Arsenal game yesterday.  You had 3-4 subs in the second half, which I thought was supposed to be about 30 seconds for each?  A red card, where Simpson took an age to leave the field.  A break in play, where the ref decided to take about 2 minutes or more, to speak to Kante and then book him.  Oh and Schmeichel taking an age on every goal kick. 

4 minutes :lol:

Seeing as the standard seems to always be 3 minutes, regardless.  I thought this was pretty ridiculous.  I'm not sure of the exact criteria, for adding on time.  But there are so many instances, where I think you could probably have 8 minutes at the end.  Yet you see 3-4 mins go up on the board.

Completely agree with this - the Arsenal game I was expecting to see 5 or 6 minutes and couldn't believe it when it was only 4.

We had 6 minutes added on recently didn't we, in a game with far less stoppages than that one.

I genuinely believe they make it up as they go along.

Doesn't mean trying to go on a mazy run but honestly, take some f***ing responsibility instead of passing the buck / cowardly hitting it forward to get it away from you. f***ing infuriating.

I often think this but with players who are terribly one footed. They've play football nearly every day of the week for their whole lives and they're still scared to use or are terrible with their other foot

I often think this but then with Robben or Lamela for example I'm also not sure whether their all round games would be as good if they spent more time practising on their right foot as a kid instead of absolutely perfecting their left foot which they have done

Ah yes, the triangle of DM to CB back to DM then to other CB, back to DM, rinse and repeat. When all the while the DM could have turned and carried the ball 20 yards forward.

Gotta keep the possession stats up though.

I was proper one-footed when I was a kid but I used to smash or place the ball in with the outside of my right foot when I had a chance cutting in from the left.

Genuine question, why don't you see more of that in top level football? It's easy to do and probably more effective than having a go with a crap left foot.

I was proper one-footed when I was a kid but I used to smash or place the ball in with the outside of my right foot when I had a chance cutting in from the left.

Genuine question, why don't you see more of that in top level football? It's easy to do and probably more effective than having a go with a crap left foot.

Nobby Solano goal v Everton ? what a wonderful outside of the foot effort that was  :smitten:

Nobby Solano goal v Everton ? what a wonderful outside of the foot effort that was  :smitten:

Aye he did that from the right side though, the mad cunt. I'm talking about dinking it past the keeper from the left cutting inside, you can smash it in the corner quite easily that way too.

Aye he did that from the right side though, the mad cunt. I'm talking about dinking it past the keeper from the left cutting inside, you can smash it in the corner quite easily that way too.

That's a very good point, you just don't see professionals trying it, from either wing. Seems to be out of the game altogether now.

Guest firetotheworks

Do you mean cutting in from the left and hitting it with the outside of your right so that it's curling outwards towards the far post or inwards towards the near post?

Yeah, I'm a bit confused IP. If you're cutting in from the left, it's easier and more efficient to hit it in an orthodox way with your right. Hitting it with the outside of your right foot at that point is actually quite hard, and only really worth it if you want to beat the keeper at his near post or hit a cross that fades away from him.

I'm very one-footed (left), and often played LB or LM. If you cut in from the left you can score beautiful goals by bending it around the keeper, but that's usually with the outside of your left foot.

Nah it works if you don't want to cut it inside and works best edging the ball into the far corner. I found it dead easy, could get quite a lot of power and accuracy doing it that way. Admittedly it was more effective in five-a-side.

Maybe I was a footballing visionary and my natural talent failed me.

Guest firetotheworks

Far post with the outside of your right foot, coming in from the right (Cisse against Chelsea as an extreme example) gives the 'keeper more of a chance as well. I'm gonna say that you mean the near post.

Here man you mad cunts.

It was generally placement more than power but I did hammer it sometimes.

Imagine the classic Henry goal when he cuts in from the left and places it in the far corner with his right, having been able to get his shit together and get it on his right foot on the inside. Imagine me having no left foot and having not much time to finish it. I'd edge it into the far corner with the outside of my right foot but as I say I did it with power occasionally as well.

I was a bit of a fancy dan mind, but just saying it generally works canny yet you rarely see it in the professional game.

I think you're going to have to confirm what you mean by "cutting in from the left" :lol:. What you're saying is not making any sense! If you cut in from the left and try to stick it in the far corner with the outside of your right boot, then the keeper's probably going to save it!