Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

People calling the Champions League "Champions" and the Premier League "Premier". Do they call League 1 just "League" too? And why? It's retarded.

I've literally never heard this.

(Some) swedish pundits keep doing it and I've seen a couple of people on here refer to it as "Premier"/"Champions". Does my head in :)

When people say that the attacking team has been the better team despite not being ahead. It's bollocks really. The defensive team might be actively trying to prevent the other team from winning and as a result if they're not behind they're actually performing better...

Guest firetotheworks

When people say that the attacking team has been the better team despite not being ahead. It's bollocks really. The defensive team might be actively trying to prevent the other team from winning and as a result if they're not behind they're actually performing better...

I like a good defensive display from time to time (England vs Italy before WC '98 springs to mind) but generally I disagree with that notion. Defending like that is in itself an admission by the manager and players that the other team is either better or playing better. I wouldn't count Celtic as the team that performed better than Barca when Fraser Forster had an amazing game for example.

I like a good defensive display from time to time (England vs Italy before WC '98 springs to mind) but generally I disagree with that notion. Defending like that is in itself an admission by the manager and players that the other team are better.

What I'm getting at though is in that specific game it doesn't mean they've been the better team. I agree that for example Norwich sat in today and that is an admission that Man City are a better side in terms of ability, etc. But in terms of performance Norwich arguably  were the better side. They stuck to their tactics and achieved what they seemingly aimed for. City didn't. 

I like a good defensive display from time to time (England vs Italy before WC '98 springs to mind) but generally I disagree with that notion. Defending like that is in itself an admission by the manager and players that the other team is either better or playing better. I wouldn't count Celtic as the team that performed better than Barca when Fraser Forster had an amazing game for example.

Some of Mourinho's games spring to mind. The 2-0 win away at Liverpool (Gerrard slipping game) was one of the best tactical displays I've seen in a long time.

They won a game 2-0 despite defending for their lives for a majority of it, was a very good performance imo.

People calling the Champions League "Champions" and the Premier League "Premier". Do they call League 1 just "League" too? And why? It's retarded.

I've literally never heard this.

Here's one from today :)

God if he wins a trophy man :lol:

Fully into camp 'fuck Leicester' now like.

If he keeps us up and actually sees out his contract here, it's quite possible. Mike Ashley will never have a better chance of winning silverware which he claims is his goal. Rafa's teams don't really attack enough to win the premier, but his set up is perfect for cup competitions. He makes them very hard to beat, so if you can add a couple of really  top quality forwards it's perfect for cup runs.

Guest firetotheworks

For some reason I don't like it when players score and go and celebrate with one person in particular on the bench. I don't even really know why, it feels like a private thing and that's not what football's about.

People moaning all season about the media not giving Leicester the respect they deserve, then the very same people moaning that we lost tonight, away to the league leaders 1-0. Actually had to remind myself at times that yes, Leicester are currently the best team in the country the way a minority were whinging on.

Maybe it was just some of the people around me but I don't think it would've been the same whinging had we lost 1-0 away to an inferior Manchester City.

:thup:

When you're playing football and you tackle somebody only for them to get lucky with a richochet and still end up with the ball.

I'm convinced there's a skill to this. A guy I know somehow pulls it off 9/10. Messi does it a lot too.

I know every team does it - but I hate the way that for about the last five minutes of the game last night, the ball was probably in play for about 1 minute and that minute was spent mainly in the corner with two Leicester players making little attempt to actually play the ball.  Not sure what you do about it - maybe in injury time, the ball actually needs to be in play for the full allotment of injury time?

I know every team does it - but I hate the way that for about the last five minutes of the game last night, the ball was probably in play for about 1 minute and that minute was spent mainly in the corner with two Leicester players making little attempt to actually play the ball.  Not sure what you do about it - maybe in injury time, the ball actually needs to be in play for the full allotment of injury time?

It really did my tree in last night as you know if we were in that position someone would get booked and there would be 6 mins on the board even if it had been announced as 3. Don't understand why it isn't a straight yellow for a player standing in the throw-in position, not looking to get the ball.