Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

Pretty sure this has been mentioned, but the way Americans tend to use the singular 'is' for a team instead of 'are'. For some reason I view it as another sympton of the franchise mentality, like it's a name or company rather than a collection of people.

I'm probably being irrational and petty like.

But just saw this message from an American friend and I'm pure raging :lol:

'Arsenal is getting geared up to dominate Barcelona again'...

edit:

Does that mean Americans don't say 'we are' when talking about their club? I guess that's where the plurality comes from for me, because when talking about Newcastle I'd always talk of 'we', 'we are s****'. (I know non-footy people get really p*ssed off by us saying 'we')

Pretty sure this has been mentioned, but the way Americans use the singular 'is' for a team instead of 'are'. For some reason I view it as another sympton of the franchise mentality, like it's a name or company rather than a collection of people.

But just saw this message from an American friend and I'm pure raging [emoji38]

:thup: annoys me a lot

Pretty sure this has been mentioned, but the way Americans use the singular 'is' for a team instead of 'are'. For some reason I view it as another sympton of the franchise mentality, like it's a name or company rather than a collection of people.

edit:

Does that mean Americans don't say 'we are' when talking about their club? I guess that's where the plurality comes from for me, because when talking about Newcastle I'd always talk of 'we', 'we are shite'. (I know non-footy people get really pissed off by us saying 'we')

Reminded of the great M83 debate of '15. :lol: I think differing use of are/is is just convention rather than a frightening glimpse into our franchise obsessed psyche. see : http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/001874.html, http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2011/09/agreement-over-collective-nouns/ and others

edit:

Does that mean Americans don't say 'we are' when talking about their club? I guess that's where the plurality comes from for me, because when talking about Newcastle I'd always talk of 'we', 'we are s****'. (I know non-footy people get really p*ssed off by us saying 'we')

Reminded of the great M83 debate of '15. :lol: I think differing use of are/is is just convention rather than a frightening glimpse into our franchise obsessed psyche. see : http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/001874.html, http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2011/09/agreement-over-collective-nouns/ and others

Yeah, this is just about grammar. Nothing more.

People do say 'we' and 'we are.' Anyone who says 'we is' doesn't know how to speak.

Also, that's a hugely contentious point in America. Someone will say 'we' talking about their team and someone with nothing better to add will respond with "you play for them now?"

edit:

Yeah, this is just about grammar. Nothing more.

People do say 'we' and 'we are.' Anyone who says 'we is' doesn't know how to speak.

Also, that's a hugely contentious point in America. Someone will say 'we' talking about their team and some c*** with nothing better to add will respond with "you play for them now?"

Fair enough. Still pisses me off :lol:

Aye, have pretentious knobheads who don't like football going on about that 'oh, you scored the penalty did you?' Fuck off

edit:

I have noticed this when reading bits about NFL teams.  They usually refer to them as 'it' instead of 'they'.  I've also noticed fans rarely refer to their team as 'we'.

edit:

I have noticed this when reading bits about NFL teams.  They usually refer to them as 'it' instead of 'they'.  I've also noticed fans rarely refer to their team as 'we'.

That's odd, I've rarely come across that.

As I know you're all interested in my take on the matter, I tend to use both the singular and plural. Newcastle is, because it's a club and 'club' is singular. Newcastle 'are' to refer to the players/fans, etc.

edit:

That's odd, I've rarely come across that.

As I know you're all interested in my take on the matter, I tend to use both the singular and plural. Newcastle is, because it's a club and 'club' is singular. Newcastle 'are' to refer to the players/fans, etc.

Yep. 100% correct.

Jonathan fucking Pearce, man. Who let that happen? What a slow motion car crash that cunt has been. Given the Coleman and Davies fiascos, and the ongoing Motson one, I dread the next few decades. Jesus Christ, he's abominable. What a twat.

Jonathan fucking Pearce, man. Who let that happen? What a slow motion car crash that cunt has been. Given the Coleman and Davies fiascos, and the ongoing Motson one, I dread the next few decades. Jesus Christ, he's abominable. What a twat.

Coleman and Davies fiascoes?

:lol: Yeah, keeping them on when they were old and dithery and out of touch. I was a bit angry when I posted that tbh, but I never rated them. They're humans and I wish them no ill will, but I don't want to be annoyed by old men talking rubbish when I'm watching football. It's bad enough already.

Jonathan f***ing Pearce, man. Who let that happen? What a slow motion car crash that c*** has been. Given the Coleman and Davies fiascos, and the ongoing Motson one, I dread the next few decades. Jesus Christ, he's abominable. What a t***.

:lol: Yeah, keeping them on when they were old and dithery and out of touch. I was a bit angry when I posted that tbh, but I never rated them. They're humans and I wish them no ill will, but I don't want to be annoyed by old men talking rubbish when I'm watching football. It's bad enough already.

lot of young people even on this board also spout rubbish