Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

Posted (edited)

Doubt many will agree, but people who hate showboating. Looking back, the stick Antony got for that spinning thing in the Europa League was shite. Seen a couple of clips previously where it's came off, so fuck if the pass was a couple of yards off in the end?

We're at a stage now in football where there's little flair left and it's all about athleticism and playing to a system. 

Think another example in the last year or two was Richarlison doing something and him getting clobbered off some defender for it. 

The likes of Antony and Richarlison likely spent hours on the streets learning their trade, after training practicing new skills, etc. now, it's all about not losing the ball and it's sad. These are usually the ones labelled "lazy" as well. 

Wouldn't be surprised if the stick Antony got has had an affect on his mentality not to play with flair anymore. Just pass to the full-back or closest centre-mid. 

There's no individualism any more. Think I put in the General Euros chat a couple of weeks ago, I think Neymar is the last of a dying breed. We need more of these not fewer. Bring back showboating, and so fuck if it's taking the piss out of worse players. They could have been at that level too if they'd put the hours in.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Doubt many will agree, but people who hate showboating. Looking back, the stick Antony got for that spinning thing in the Europa League was shite. Seen a couple of clips previously where it's came off, so fuck if the pass was a couple of yards off in the end?

We're at a stage now in football where there's little flair left and it's all about athleticism and playing to a system. 

Think another example in the last year or two was Richarlison doing something and him getting clobbered off some defender for it. 

The likes of Antony and Richarlison likely spent hours on the streets learning their trade, after training practicing new skills, etc. now, it's all about not losing the ball and it's sad. 

Wouldn't be surprised if the stick Antony got has had an affect on his mentality not to play with flair anymore. Just pass to the full-back or closest centre-mid. 

Well Antony can get fucked either way ad I hate everything about him as a player.

In general though I agree with you. Quite like that clip of ASM doing 10 step overs for example :lol:

Reckon you'll like this, even if its 11 years old and from the Swedish league if you like a bit of showboating 

21 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

The likes of Antony and Richarlison likely spent hours on the streets learning their trade, after training practicing new skills, etc. now, it's all about not losing the ball and it's sad. These are usually the ones labelled "lazy" as well. 

There's no individualism any more. Think I put in the General Euros chat a couple of weeks ago, I think Neymar is the last of a dying breed. We need more of these not fewer. Bring back showboating, and so fuck if it's taking the piss out of worse players. They could have been at that level too if they'd put the hours in.

It's not normally taking the piss out of worse players, it's taking the piss out if beaten players (see Kenny Wharton V Luton Town)

2 minutes ago, madras said:

It's not normally taking the piss out of worse players, it's taking the piss out if beaten players (see Kenny Wharton V Luton Town)

Ah, sod them. They've earned that right by twatting them on the day. If a team does that to them in return when the roles are reversed then fair game. We want to be entertained.

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Ah, sod them. They've earned that right by twatting them on the day. If a team does that to them in return when the roles are reversed then fair game. We want to be entertained.

Watch it on YT, the Luton players took it on the chin, didn't lash out or anything. Bloody hell, that Newcastle team had it done to them enough times and not to be all Max Boyce (Google him) about it but "I was there".

Anthony mainly gets the piss ripped out of him cos he's a massive knacker to be fair. Stuff like giving it the bigun after the Coventry pen win where they conceded 3 to nearly throw the game as he came on as a sub that did nowt. Or hiring a personal photographer to capture his pre planned goal celebrations and then scoring one all season. 

He's scared to even take on fullbacks most of the time so doing a pointless trick with nobody in 15 yards of him and then kicking it out of play did look daft to be honest [emoji38]

I rate showboating when it's done actually beating defenders like Neymar used to get stuck for though. 

Posted (edited)

I don't like how football talk has turned into amateur accounting. Every thread on here is about balance sheets.

I kind of miss picking up The Chron and going, "Hoo, fatha, did ya knaa we've signed some bloke caalled Clarence wi' lang hair?"

Edited by Monkey Alan

Players getting away with diving and faking shit. On camera. With VAR.

God damn, also hate the current implementation of VAR. I would rather have shitty refrees than this.

• 1 month later...

Modern commentators. Their primary function was, and still should be, to tell you which player has the ball. The modern commentator feels that player recognition is far too mundane a job, and instead wants to dazzle you with a series of stats and details from past matches which are distracting and largely irrelevant. Stop it guys.

Fouls in the middle third of the pitch going completely unpunished. It's like some managers have found a glitch in refs where they know that they can destroy attack after attack after attack with a little niggly foul and get away with it until about the 80th minute. The 14th time it happens the card comes out but they've killed every attack  until that point. It's genuinely frustrating as fuck and I'm fully aware we do it plenty too, it's a football thing

That shit banging they do against advertising hoardings or fuck knows what. They do it a Chelsea and the mackems started doing it. Usually, it's when they score, but at Fulham today they were just doing it randomly.

On 22/08/2024 at 03:11, Cronky said:

Modern commentators. Their primary function was, and still should be, to tell you which player has the ball. The modern commentator feels that player recognition is far too mundane a job, and instead wants to dazzle you with a series of stats and details from past matches which are distracting and largely irrelevant. Stop it guys.

For me, if they're going to be Motsonian, they should stick to when the ball is out of play - injuries etc.  Otherwise, they should be doing exactly what their primary function is - tell me who is on the ball.  Also, the 'colour commentators' should also stick to keeping their gobs shut other than stops in play.

While I'm at it - the TV cameras showing the bench / some cunt in the crowd / zooming in on something / showing a replay when the game is being played.  One camera lads, point the fucker at the pitch and pan it to follow the ball.  That's all we need.  You can show me what Eddie Howe looks like some other time.

2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

For me, if they're going to be Motsonian, they should stick to when the ball is out of play - injuries etc.  Otherwise, they should be doing exactly what their primary function is - tell me who is on the ball.  Also, the 'colour commentators' should also stick to keeping their gobs shut other than stops in play.

While I'm at it - the TV cameras showing the bench / some cunt in the crowd / zooming in on something / showing a replay when the game is being played.  One camera lads, point the fucker at the pitch and pan it to follow the ball.  That's all we need.  You can show me what Eddie Howe looks like some other time.

:serious:

11 minutes ago, Lordshola said:

:serious:

Main commentator draws the picture describing the action, ‘colour commentator’ colours it in with their ex playing days insight and experience. Co comms like Jerry Lawler or Tazz. Not a race thing. 

Personally I like Ally McCoist as comentator of colour, not because he has any particularly great tactical insight, but because he seems to actually enjoy watching football and looks to say something positive about the game.

Nothing sucks the enjoyment out of a game more than having a Danny Murphy or Lee Dixon type constantly moaning about everything while you watch.

Edited by Checko
spelling