Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

“They’ve bottled it.” It’s a lazy charge and often denies agency to other teams.

Arsenal will not have “bottled it” this season if City win the league, and we will not have “bottled it” if we don’t end up qualifying for the CL.

On 08/05/2023 at 18:30, Disco said:

The circular ASM conversation that happens every few days. It’s painful. On and off line. 

The trigger for it happening is becoming lighter and lighter as well. It used to be a bad game, now it's not doing something amazing (even though he scored had Isak been onside) when coming off the bench after being injured. 

2 minutes ago, Deuce said:

“They’ve bottled it.” It’s a lazy charge and often denies agency to other teams.

Arsenal will not have “bottled it” this season if City win the league, and we will not have “bottled it” if we don’t end up qualifying for the CL.

Largely agree, but I do think it's a fair thing to throw at Arsenal mind. 

• 3 weeks later...

This is more of an annoyance but on wikipedia, which is pretty much the go to for stats these days, managers are based on ‘win percentage’. I think they should be judged on ‘average points picked up per game’. Trivial yes,  but I think the consensus is you want to win your home games and a draw would be fine away. Wor Eddie has a 50% win percentage but that doesn’t tell the full story. 

Edited by Astroblack

15 hours ago, Astroblack said:

This is more of an annoyance but on wikipedia, which is pretty much the go to for stats these days, managers are based on ‘win percentage’. I think they should be judged on ‘average points picked up per game’. Trivial yes,  but I think the consensus is you want to win your home games and a draw would be fine away. Wor Eddie has a 50% win percentage but that doesn’t tell the full story. 

There are a number of ways to look at Eddie’s stats (win percentage etc.).  Here’s a breakdown of a few: 

1) since official first game;

2) with a little settle in time to influence (and first window);

3) 2022 calendar year;

3) 2023 calendar year (to date);

4) his portion of 2021-22 season;

5) 2022-23 season. 

IMG_6441.thumb.jpeg.0dbc9be5566d82584d845909fad28d70.jpeg

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

Hate all the modern terms to be honest, low block, mid block, high press, false number 9...

Number 8 instead of just saying a midfielder or attacking midfielder

Or number 6 for a defensive midfielder even though traditionally number 6 played centre half. 

i always feel as though people who use these terms learned football through watching YouTube videos, presented by people who know nothing about the game themselves. 

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Hate all the modern terms to be honest, low block, mid block, high press, false number 9...

Or number 6 for a defensive midfielder even though traditionally number 6 played centre half. 

i always feel as though people who use these terms learned football through watching YouTube videos, presented by people who know nothing about the game themselves. 

I think the main difference is how versatile the modern game is, Eddie Howe changes his formation during a game and they constantly change positions to accommodate an attacking option or in response to a change by the opponent , Personally I find it fascinating to watch along with certain podcasts and youtube videos explaining the modern process (I ignore the numpty pundits like Merson, Cundy and Rednapp)

Just now, Ben said:

I think the main difference is how versatile the modern game is, Eddie Howe changes his formation during a game and they constantly change positions to accommodate an attacking option or in response to a change by the opponent , Personally I find it fascinating to watch along with certain podcasts and youtube videos explaining the modern process (I ignore the numpty pundits like Merson, Cundy and Rednapp)

It's also just a more precise way of expressing something, for example mid or low-block is more descriptive than "park the bus" or ten men behind the ball.

I kind of get the number thing, number four was a defensive midfielder back in the day. Everyone knows what a number six or a number eight is without having to be more descriptive though.

Maybe it's OCD but I hate random shirt numbers, like that stupid skinny prick fabinho for Liverpool number 3 even though he's a right footed central midfield player. 

Also I don't like any shit like 4+5 just cos someone else has number 9

5 hours ago, Pancrate1892 said:

Maybe it's OCD but I hate random shirt numbers, like that stupid skinny prick fabinho for Liverpool number 3 even though he's a right footed central midfield player. 

Also I don't like any shit like 4+5 just cos someone else has number 9

Like the way they do it it Spain 1-23, no silly business like they do in Italy. 

Wish Bruno, Miggy and Willock had a better numbers. Especially Willock. Feel like the 28 hurts his profile. It's a youth/academy number. 

• 4 weeks later...

With it being transfer season I’ve noticed it more and more and it isn’t really aimed at the people using it, more the nature of why it’s used…

…but I absolutely hate the fact that people refer to targets as ‘purples’. Solely because it only exists because that odious prick Lambeezy used it as a reason to not improve our squad at the time by categorising our players by colours. 

We can’t have too many ‘purples’. Fuck off you cunt.

2 hours ago, Fatwax said:

With it being transfer season I’ve noticed it more and more and it isn’t really aimed at the people using it, more the nature of why it’s used…

…but I absolutely hate the fact that people refer to targets as ‘purples’. Solely because it only exists because that odious prick Lambeezy used it as a reason to not improve our squad at the time by categorising our players by colours. 

We can’t have too many ‘purples’. Fuck off you cunt.

Blame the ancient Greeks. (Associated with ‘elite’ things since then). 

On 09/06/2023 at 19:55, Astroblack said:

Like the way they do it it Spain 1-23, no silly business like they do in Italy. 

Wish Bruno, Miggy and Willock had a better numbers. Especially Willock. Feel like the 28 hurts his profile. It's a youth/academy number. 

I know what you mean. Alexander Arnold 66.....makes them sound like someone who comes on in a preseason friendly never to be seen again 

On 01/06/2023 at 12:24, Phil said:

Agree with this. What annoys me is that all of these terms seem to appear out of nowhere then get used by everyone all the time.

FA bootlickers and shit coaches - ala Lee Parsley and Southgate - getting considered 'decent' managers on the back of having a cohort of excellent players at their disposal.

People gatekeeping what teams you’re allowed to support ‘you’re from London, you can’t support Utd.’ ‘You’ve always supported Utd, you can’t switch to Newcastle’ ‘You can’t support two teams’. Just live and let live

On 03/07/2023 at 07:08, Newcastle4lyf said:

People gatekeeping what teams you’re allowed to support ‘you’re from London, you can’t support Utd.’ ‘You’ve always supported Utd, you can’t switch to Newcastle’ ‘You can’t support two teams’. Just live and let live

You are David Mellor and I claim my £5